Author Topic: HBSI and Yellowfin  (Read 4744 times)

Offline MT-ED

• Unit(s): 798ci SI, 1199ci HD SI, 360 BM
  • Software: 6.3
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS, Autochart Pro
HBSI and Yellowfin
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
I read elsewhere on here that Robert made an HBSI converter (to convert HB files for use with YF). I didn't want to hijack that thread, so I'm asking here, how does one acquire the HBSI converter, and what is Yellowfin, and what is it used for? It is abundantly clear from just my short time here that most folks are saving all kinds of info from their HB units. I have not been doing so.....for a number of reasons from lack of knowledge of the best ways, to realizing the value of doing so. I'll continue to scour this site to learn more, but if anyone would like to chime in and offer any places for me to specifically read.......I'd be most grateful!!

Ed

Offline MT-ED

Re: HBSI and Yellowfin
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »
OK, I found the downloads section for software. Then I got confused all over again as there are so many different things there. I haven't found yet (assuming it is explained somewhere) just what all these things are used for. Yes, some are data conversion of HB so it can be used on other SF, but is it best to have all of them, some of them, where should I be looking to find out what is used for what, what is required for what, etc.  Maybe it all being so new has me bamboozled, but I'm failing to connect the dots....... :-\

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
MT-ED,

It just depends on what you like and what you are doing.  Yellowfin and DeepView will only view the SI portion of your sonar recordings.  If that's what you are looking for, they are both great pieces of software.  Humviewer will view them as well along with your 2d and DI data.  There are other softwares on the site as well that do different things.  There is one entire section on the forum just for "3rd party" software (software other people have created) for use with Humminbird sonar files.  I would read through the main points and maybe try each out if you are interested. 

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=17.0

Good Luck,

Robert

Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
One of the very best learning tools in the HB units is the ability to record the sonar scanning...

During my early fishing trips with my 1197c SI Combo...I would fish most of the day using what I could on the unit....

Then about 1 hour before dark...I would travel to spot a "half mile or so" down the bank from the ramp that I launched from...

I would then start my unit to record....and record the entire length of the bank toward the launch ramp...keeping my boat in about 10ft of water the entire recorded scan...(not fishing...just recording and keeping the boat at a consistant speed and consistant 10ft depth)...

When I reach the ramp, stop the recording...

Then at home, I would set my unit up next to my PC where I could run the recording in the unit at the same time as I was running the recording in Humviewer...

Then I would study that recording to see how SI details change as bottom composition changes and how structure would show in the SI image...both in Humviewer and the unit side by side...

I would place waypoints on everything in that recorded scan while in Humviewer...(some waypoints on the unit recording itself)...

Then export the waypoints and run them thru Humminbird PC..and them load the waypoints into a SD Card ...and import those "Humviewer waypoints" back into my 1197...

The next time I fished that very same piece of water I would go and verify all those waypoints with live scanning to see if indeed the items I marked in Humviewer were actually something to keep as a saved waypoint on my 1197...

This chain of events allows ...:

*Learning how to record on the unit..
*Learning how to playback recordings and place waypoints on the unit recording..
*Learning how to use Humviewer...
*Learning how to spot interesting details in the Humviewer image...and place waypoints there..
*Learning how to get waypoints from Humviewer into HBPC...
*Learning how to edit waypoint names in HBPC...
*Learning how to export waypoints from HBPC to the SD Card...
*Learning how to load HBPC waypoints back into the unit...
*Learning how to verify (on the water) those waypoints made in the Humviewer program...

I still have dozens of these first recordings I ever made with my 1197...and most of them are 1/2 mile strips of the bank toward the launch ramp at the end of that day's fishing trip...

Rickie
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:26:01 AM by rnvinc »

Offline MT-ED

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
Just after posting my 2nd question last night, I found the3rd prty SF section, and the explanations as well. Having said that, I really really appreciate what you guys just told me.....that was exactly what I was hoping to hear!!! I'm not going to ask anymore questions until I thoroughly read all of this site. That way, I'll likely get most of my questions answered. Again I thank all who have helped me here, this is a fantastic site, and chock full of super information!!!

ed

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
Ed,

No worries.....ask away!  Its not always easy to find the answers, but the search feature works pretty good.  Also, at the bottom of a topic you will also find related topics to that subject.

I really need to add the keyword mod to the site so indexing and searching would be a little better, but I think it works pretty good.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo