Author Topic: Power Cable Connector Problem 998cSI  (Read 8469 times)

Offline muskyhunter

Power Cable Connector Problem 998cSI
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:58 AM »
I finally received my 998cSI and went to install it on the boat.  The power cable pins seem a bit too small.  When inserting the end into the socket in back of the locater, the cable pulls out very easily as if there is nothing grasping the pins.  I realize the connector collector has a knurled knob to secure the connections, but even when securing the connector and pulling the power cable there is too much movement and will only worsen over time.  All the other connections are tight and secure.  I'll talk with Humminbird about this tomorrow and hope I can deal with the situation directly so that I don't miss the season opener. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:33:15 AM by muskyhunter »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Power Cable Connector Problem 998cSI
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »
You may be right.  There are postings on this forum dealing with pin connections. 
Several suggestions point to slightly and carefully bending the male pin. Dont over do this.  Humminbird says the pins are the correct size but I think posts here point otherwise. 
Only time will tell on this.  Try the slight bend first. 
  Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
Let me clarify one point here Chuck: the Humminbird Mechanical Engineers say that those are the correct sized pins in the power cable for the socket sized used in the units.  This viewpoint is not shared by me personally.  Carefully bend the pins of the power cable away from each other like Chuck said – it doesn’t take much.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:36 PM »
Thanks guys, the pin bending was the same conclusion I came up with.  Doing so helps keep the plug in, but also creates a wear point on the side of the pin socket. 

My previous locator was a Zercom LPG 2000 which is the same as the Humminbird Legend 1000.  The power connector plug is identical to the 998cSI.  The plug housing is from the same mold.  I tried it and it fits much better but that power cable does not have an inline choke.  I am debating whether to use the old Zercom cord going on 10 years old.  On the Zercom, I never needed to worry about the cable connector coming loose.  I am not thrilled having to use the knurled set screw to hold it down and then to unscrew later.  I use quick release Johnny Ray mounts so that I can easily dismount the locator before the boat landing and securing it in a locked compartment on board.

As with all connections on my boat and past locators, I have used die-electric grease for my terminal connections and am thinking of using a very very small dot on the socket holes to help connectivity but more importantly lubrication.  I am very aware of using this  sparingly so as not to create a shorting condition but this should help keep the gold plating from getting worn off from the pins adjusted slightly outward.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
Greg,

Your engineers are probably correct in that the pin size is correct for the pin socket.  Where I would challenge their position is that those pins are "within" the spec for the gap of that pin socket.  I would be willing to bet that if those pin sockets  were ordered with the exact same spec from different electronics manufacturers, there will be variance with some pin sockets fitting better than from other manufacturers, even though all the catalogs specs would be the same between all manufacturers.  I became very aware of those types of issues in my last job were we produced communication boards for the wireless carriers.  Some boards had very specific manufacturing requirements where parts substitutions were restricted to specific suppliers because of the tighter tolerances needed in some applications, including our connectors.   

I am confident  that a test of the tensile force needed to pull the pin out of the pin socket were measured, they would be able to clearly see the various spring tensions for a given spec of the pin sockets from different manufacturers and would find one better suited for the pins that what is currently being used.

Please pass on this discussion to your component engineers.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
HMHO from what i have seen HB has done a good job engineering there cable to head
connections you must have some tolerance between pin and hole to connect that many
pins and holes together in one stab.Buy making it user friendly.Believe me HB definately strives
for manufacturing user friendly units. Just my 2 cents .  Gary

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
I agree that Humminbird is a quality product which is why I continue to buy from them.  This is post is not intended to disparage them in any way, just an opportunity to review a concern that others may also have.  As the dollar cost rises so do the expectations and this fell a bit short. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
You understand this at a deeper level than most muskyhunter.  The old LPG 2000 cable was produced by a different manufacturer.  I’ve seen the chart and we are using the correct pin for that sized socket but as you said all things have tolerances.  I just think that we should do something on our end to make this work for all.  Maybe offset the pin to pin distance a little more to guarantee an interference fit?

On that LPG 2000 power cable: I don’t know what wire gauge sized was used so I don’t know if it will work to allow enough current to flow to the 998c Si unit or not.  If you don’t have any RF interference than you really don’t need the in-line choke.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Thanks Greg.  I thought long and hard about using the old wires which would be a lot easier, but the choke is always a good idea.  Having a good background in electronics I opted to spend the extra time to install the inline choke cables.  A clean power source will always produce more predictable and reliable outcome with electronic circuitry. 

Offline majflyboy

• Unit(s): 998 and 788
  • Software: 4.85
  • Accessories: InterLink
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »
As with all connections on my boat and past locators, I have used die-electric grease for my terminal connections and am thinking of using a very very small dot on the socket holes to help connectivity but more importantly lubrication.  I am very aware of using this  sparingly so as not to create a shorting condition but this should help keep the gold plating from getting worn off from the pins adjusted slightly outward.

How much die-electric grease is too much?  (To keep from creating a shorting condition)

Offline majflyboy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »
I took the above paragraph from muskyhunter's post and didn't know how to attribute it to him.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
It depends on the size of the connector hole.  Keeping ones mind out of the gutter and bearing with me on this I will put on some dielectric grease on the female connector and using my finger to press it into the holes.  Then insert the pinned connector to press the grease into the socket hole.  Remove the connectors and wipe off any excess grease that may have oozed out of the connector socket and clean the pin area with a q-tip.  Start with a small amount of grease and add as needed. Maybe I'll take some pics tonight of the spade lugs.

Offline majflyboy

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
Thanks muskyhunter, you've been very helpful on this topic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo