Author Topic: 727 transducer - dual or quadra Beam?  (Read 6688 times)

Offline harporocks

727 transducer - dual or quadra Beam?
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »
Hello all,  I am from Italy and I own a 727 unit. I apologize in advance for my bad english.
I'd need a suggestion about a new transducer for my 727, since I lost the original transducer in the water (breaking the cable too) on my last fishing session. So I need to buy a new one (transom mount) : I was thinking about purchasing a quadra beam transducer, but I'm not sure I could have any benefit on my 727, compared to the regular dual beam transducer. In other words, I don't know if m 727 unit is made to receive the triple frequence from the quadBeam transducer and if it's ready for it. No doubt about the compatibility, but I don't know if something would change (maybe in worse) compared to the original transducer.

I know I could buy the standard transducer (XNT920) and my 727 would work as usually did. But, if I can gain something buying the Quadrabeam one (XNT9QB90), I would go for it, since the difference in price is few euros. But someone (italian seller) told me that I wouldn't gain anyting because the unit head is not ready for the quadrabeam transducer signal.

Basically, even if I never tried a Quadrabeam system, I think that having any further option on my sonar cannot be a bad thing, am I wrong?

Anyway, any suggestion will be appreciated , especially in order to maximize the performance of my 727 by purchasing a new transducer.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 727 transducer - dual or quadra Beam?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
Not sure what your dealer is meaning by the 727 being ready for the QuadraBeam transducer or not.  The 727 is fully compatible with the QuadraBeam transducer: meaning that it will be able to use all of the QuadraBeam’s sonar capabilities.  Your 727 will operate as it has with the 200/83kHx DualBeam sonar capabilities but it will also have the additional two 455kHz down and to the side beams of the QuadraBeam sonar.  You will be able to see sonar returns and bottom structures from a much wider area than you have before.  Example: in 10 meters of water the DualBeam sonar will be showing sonar returns from an area approximately 10 meters wide (1 X water depth).  With the QuadraBeam transducer it will be showing sonar returns from approximately 20 meters wide (2 X water depth).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline harporocks

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:31:29 AM »
Thank you very much for the fast reply, I think it's pretty clear and I shouldn't have any doubt left.

But, just to be 100% sure, that means that everything about the "new" 455HK beam will "appear" on my monitor, as it happened with all navigation options and screens when i connected the GPS (new screens, new options included in old menus)? And I will be able to enable or disenable the 455HK beam and chose what combo of beam (or single ones) to work with?

That would be extremely cool, considering the  little difference of price betwen dualbeam and quadrabeam transducer (few euros). All my doubts were about the chance, with very few money, to make my 727 basically becoming a 737 (that costs much more than 727).

The quadrabeam one has nothing less than the dualbeam one in term of performance? just benefits?

Thanks again very very much, and sorry for the multiple questions, but I wanna be sure to proceed with the best purchase option.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
When you connect the QuadraBeam transducer you will have to tell the unit manually that it is connected by changing the Transducer Select menu setting.  So in that respect it is not the same as when you connected a GPS Receiver to the unit.  Now, once you select the Quad Beam menu setting, then yes the additional menus and View will automatically show up.

The additional 455kHz Side Beams are only engaged when using the Side Beam View.  This is the added View that you get when selecting the Quad Beam menus setting.  When using any other View the unit does not use these sonar beams.

You don’t get to choose what beams you are working with as this is locked according to the View that you are on.  In the added Side Beam View you can only view the 200kHz sonar and the left and right 455kHz Side Beam sonar data.  This can be shown in one of three different formats though (download and review the 737 operations manual for pictures and information on this).

Basically your 727 will be a 737 unit minus the map/memory card reader and the additional GPS related buttons.

The QuadraBeam is basically a DualBeam transducer with the two added 455kHx sonar beams.  It uses the same connector but has two added contact pins in it.  It even uses the same 200/83kHz sonar element that the 200/83kz DualBeam transducer uses.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline harporocks

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Thank you very very much Greg. Your explanation couldn't be less perfect. It's a pleasure to see there are people like you, expert, able and always ready to help other people and costumers.

I will go for the quadraBeam one without any doubt left.

Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo