Author Topic: Humminbird electronics for a new boat  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Teddychk

• Unit(s): Helix 8 CHIRP Mega SI+ G4N
Humminbird electronics for a new boat
« on: November 01, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
Hello all you wonderful Humminbird users.  I am in the process of specking out a new boat for bay fishing, lake fishing, river fishing and inshore fishing....I might venture out into a little bigger water once in a while on a calm day.

Right now my plan is to go with 2 Helix 8 G4N units (CHIRP MEGA SI+gps and the CHIRP MEGA DI GPS.  The plan will be to run one unit in SI mode and one unit in DI mode.  The plan is to flush mount both in the console.  I will also be running the Minn Kota Ulterra with Ipilot link and duel Cannon Optimum downriggers.  I am also considering a separate positioning GPS puck to help with showing the heading.

With this setup I should only need one 5 port switch?  Does the 5 port switch also work as a NMEA backbone?  Can I connect things like my NMEA 2000 compatible VHF marine radio as well as the NMEA connection from the outboard into this Humminbird switch?  F I’m what I read there is a Ethernet to NMEA 2000 connection that goes from the NMEA backbone to the 5 port switch.  Since NMEA 2000 is a universal standard, does it matter what company makes the NMEA backbone?  The TM should be able to connect via Bluetooth from my understanding.  I think I can network the two downriggers together wirelessly as well and control them from my IPad if I want to or from the screens on them themselves.

The goal here is to really take advantage of the one boat network setup and control everything I can from the console.

Thank you
Teddychk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:22:11 AM by Teddychk »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Humminbird electronics for a new boat
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
Hello all you wonderful Humminbird users.  I am in the process of specking out a new boat for bay fishing, lake fishing, river fishing and inshore fishing....I might venture out into a little bigger water once in a while on a calm day.

Right now my plan is to go with 2 Helix 8 G4N units (CHIRP MEGA SI+gps and the CHIRP MEGA DI GPS.  The plan will be to run one unit in SI mode and one unit in DI mode.  The plan is to flush mount both in the console.  I will also be running the Minn Kota Ulterra with Ipilot link and duel Cannon Optimum downriggers.  I am also considering a separate positioning GPS puck to help with showing the heading.

With this setup I should only need one 5 port switch?  Does the 5 port switch also work as a NMEA backbone?  Can I connect things like my NMEA 2000 compatible VHF marine radio as well as the NMEA connection from the outboard into this Humminbird switch?  F I’m what I read there is a Ethernet to NMEA 2000 connection that goes from the NMEA backbone to the 5 port switch.  Since NMEA 2000 is a universal standard, does it matter what company makes the NMEA backbone?  The TM should be able to connect via Bluetooth from my understanding.  I think I can network the two downriggers together wirelessly as well and control them from my IPad if I want to or from the screens on them themselves.

The goal here is to really take advantage of the one boat network setup and control everything I can from the console.

Thank you
Teddychk

G4N units now have built in NMEA  ... so the Ethernet to NMEA adapter is no longer needed  ... The Humminbird website is now showing new NMEA cables and connectors so I would assume these new products allow building a NMEA Network. Contact Humminbird for more info 1-800-633-1468

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories?_ga=2.158929394.955065437.1604378391-149481921.1603593819

Minn Kota iLink is an Ethernet connection to be controlled by an Ethernet capable Humminbird unit  ... so 2 Humminbird units and iLink makes 3 Ethernet devices - which will require the AS ETH 5XPG switch  ... the Minn Kota Bluetooth heading sensor will only Bluetooth to the Minn Kota TM  ... but then heading from the Minn Kota Bluetooth heading sensor can be shared thru Ethernet (iLink) to the Humminbird unit(s). Note -> heading from the Minn Kota Bluetooth heading sensor can only be shared thru Ethernet when the Minn Kota TM is deployed and powered on  ...

So if you want heading (when the Minn Kota TM is stowed) you will need the AS GPS HS antenna connected directly to 1 of the Humminbird units  ...

Here is info on Cannon Optimum downriggers  ...as I do not have experience with downriggers  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:58:04 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Teddychk

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »
Rickie,

Thank you for the great information.  I really appreciate the knowledge this group holds and is willing to share.

Thank you
Teddychk

Offline ezfishn

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »
Beware of potential crosstalk issues when running both transducers whenever they are operating on same frequencies or a harmonic of a base frequency. 

Offline Teddychk

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 12:39:32 PM »
Hopefully I can operate them at different frequencies.  I’m not 100% sure what all frequencies the two helix 8 units will run along with the transducer for the downriggers.  Definitely something I will have to take into consideration when deciding what transducers to have running at the same time. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo