Other Interest > DIY - Side Scan Sonar and towfish

Towfish – The Danish edition

(1/2) > >>

Kenneth W. Sørensen:
I finally finished my Towfish project. Although there were some startup issues, I am very happy with the result.

The body is made of aluminium and the nose is stainless steel. I mounted the transducer inside the body to avoid the transducer to act as a hook if I get to close to the bottom. The cable is a standard 50m Cat7 cable which I manage to fit inside a PVC hose after a little struggle.. Along the cable I have a 4mm wire with a D-ring for every 5m.

I have only tried it twice, but so far I think the result a OK. The attached screen dump is not the best shot, but the rest of the recordings I have only show sand and stone ;-)

Thanks to all of you for the inspiration and wisdom that lies in this forum.

Rüdiger:
Hi Kenneth

Congratulations, very good work. :)
The idea with the inside transducer had no one here yet.
Good luck with your new "toy".

mvh
Rüdiger

newkid4si:
Great design!  The "inside transducer" is a really neat idea.  How did you prevent water turbulence in the area where the transducer meets the outside of the tube?

Mike

abraquelebout:
it's nice to see another towfish, keep us informed, it seem's good

Kenneth W. Sørensen:
Hi
I don’t think the turbulence is a big problem because the transducer is in the same level as the bottom of the pipe. But it is only my assumption. If it becomes a problem my plan is join the sharp edge on the pipe with the transducer.

How can you “See” turbulence?

I do however get some white “snow” on my side scan when the fish is moving up or down in the water when I change the speed of the boat. As soon as the fish is stabilized the white “snow” disappear.

Right now it’s too windy to do any sailing. But according to the weather forecast it should be possible to do some scanning next week. I will keep you posted and hopefully I will upload some fine screen shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version