Author Topic: Humviewer Problem  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Unit(s): 898C SI
  • Software: 6.180
Humviewer Problem
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:10:38 PM »
Hi fellas.  I recorded for the first time today and when I try to open the SanDisk drive(happens to be J:) on my computer, the computer freezes up until I pull the SanDisk card out of the drive.  Any help?  Thanks.

Mark

Offline fishshtick

• Unit(s): 798c si
Re: Humviewer Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
Sounds like you are having a driver problem for your SD drive on our computer or your SD card is corrupt.  Maybe your SD card reader isn't compatible with SDHD or the speed of the card you are using.  Humminbird recording files aren't anything special that would prevent you from at least accessing the file structure on the card. Have you ever tried to access this card on this computer before? Maybe try another card reader or computer.

Offline Weekend Warrior

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply. My computer is about 5 years old and maybe can't read the card(an 8 gig high speed card). Am I on the right track?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
WW.  Did you stop the recording when you finished recording. 
On the screen select stop recording..
If you dont stop the recording it wont write the EOF marker to the card  then the file wont open..

Chuck

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
Mark

Please give a description of your computer, are you using a USB port with a Card reader that the SD card goes into? 

You may want to start up your computer, let it get settled in, then plug in your SD card.  It should not freeze up at this point, if it does then put the card back in your HB unit and delete the files.  Then try putting it in your computer again.  You may need to reformat the SD card to fat32.

George
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:35:42 PM by George »

Offline Weekend Warrior

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
Chuck, I recorded 3 or 4 separate tracks. I " think" I stopped recording after each track.  George, it's an older Dell with a card reader built in(Drive J:).  Thank you George. I will give it a try.

Offline fishshtick

• Unit(s): 798c si
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:06 PM »
Again, there really isn't anything that HB sonar can write to that card that would make it so your computer can't even access it.  It's very likely that your older computer/SD reader is the problem.  Here is one additional way to confirm if that is the case.  Check to see if you can play back the recordings on your HB unit.  If you can play back the recordings on your HB unit then your SD card and HB unit are fine and you need to work out the issues on the reader/computer end of things.

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »
Hi Mark

Have the same problem on my old PC, definitely the card reader. He can not read the new high speed cards or the system does not have enough memory to open the files.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline Weekend Warrior

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies guys.  It appears that the drive in my Dell PC is not SDHC compliant.  It will read the 2 gig card out of my wife's camera just fine, but does nothing with the 8 gig card out of the 898.

Oh, and fishshtick, I can play the recording on the 898, so I did confirm that it wasn't a bad card.  Thanks.  I guess I have to spring for a new card reader that's SDHC compliant.  Really cheap, so no biggie.

Thanks all,

Mark

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »
You can still find the Sandisk Extreme III SD (in 2gb max) that will read in the older SD card readers...http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FKKWVM

I keep 5 with my unit at all times...
1 for saved waypoints ...
1 for current version of software...
1 for previous version of software...
1 for previous saved recordings...
1 blank for today's snapshots and recordings...

Rickie

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
Mark

If you have a USB port you may want to get a USB card card reader that plugs into a USB port.  I purchased a Targus High Speed SD/SDHC/MMC card reader.  It may be that the card reader on your computer does not like it, the USB reader should work.  Also if you have more then one USB port try all of them, I have 4 ports and one that does not read the card.

George

Offline Weekend Warrior

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
Thanks George.  Ordered the SanDisk 3.0 multi-card reader yesterday from Amazon along with a Lexerd screen protector.  Water spots on the screen were really getting annoying and hard to get cleaned off. 

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
You are using a SDHC card and the dell SD reader won't handle those High Capacity SD cards.  You can only read the older SD card that are less than 2 GB is size.  I think the limit on the SD cards is 2 GB.  Newer cards require a SDHC type reader.  You can still go buy a SDHC type card reader that will plug into one of your dells USB ports.  Then you should be able to read the newer SDHC card with your Dell Computer.  Let us know if this is the problem and if a new card reader fixed this problem.  I'm just guessing that this is the problem based on what I've read in here so far.  I could be wrong, as I've been wrong before.  :)

Chuck, I recorded 3 or 4 separate tracks. I " think" I stopped recording after each track.  George, it's an older Dell with a card reader built in(Drive J:).  Thank you George. I will give it a try.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
Why would anyone want to buy a fast card that's only 2 gb in size when it's cheaper to buy a new SDHC card reader. They are really cheap and will work well with his computer. And if they spend the money saved on a new Extremen 8 gb or 16 gb or 32 gb card they will be able to read them easily as well as have a lot more room for files. You can use these SDHC cards for the Humminbird Unit or a new DSLR Camera or movie camera or a lot of other devices.

I would not limit the size of my card to 2 GB these days.  Prices on all the newer class ten type SanDisk Extreme Pro cards are way down now.  I paid a fortune for my two SanDisk Extreme Class ten 4 GB cards. Then the next two SanDisk 8GB class ten cards were down in price.  The next two cards I bought were class 6 SanDisk Ultra 8 GB cards.  The last two SanDisk Cards I bought were class ten Extreme Pro 8 GB cards.  The price keeps coming down and the size and speed of these SanDisk Cards keeps getting bigger and faster read / write speed.

I have another SD card that came with a Photo Scanner that can scan 35 mm slide and film negative and put the pictures on a SD card. But that card is only 1 gb in size and I don't know it's speed or class.

If you are going to buy a new SDHC card get the SanDisk type Class Ten in at least 8 GB these days. They are some of the best out there and the cost is way down these days.  The key to the speed is the WRITE SPEED.  Write speed on the SanDish Extreme Pro cards is upto around 90 MB/sec these days. That's 90 Megabytes per second for the write speed.  Read speed is a little faster at 95 MB/sec. But the write speed is more critical than the read speed when using these cards with your humminbird or digital camera for movies.  I use my SDHC cards with my Canon T2I DSLR as it will do high defination movies at 30 fps and low def movies at 60 fps.  So the higher write speeds on the Extreme Pro cards is very imporatant to keeping the camera's buffer from overflowing. 

You can still find the Sandisk Extreme III SD (in 2gb max) that will read in the older SD card readers...http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FKKWVM

I keep 5 with my unit at all times...
1 for saved waypoints ...
1 for current version of software...
1 for previous version of software...
1 for previous saved recordings...
1 blank for today's snapshots and recordings...

Rickie
Regards,

Moose1am

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo