Author Topic: Wiring Setup Question for 898c SI, InterLink, WeatherSense, Etc  (Read 12069 times)

Offline Hooz

• Unit(s): 788ci, 898c SI
  • Accessories: InterLink, WeatherSense
I currently have a 788CI on the bow of my boat. It has internal GPS and is wired into my PowerDrive V2 US2. I also have it wired back to an InterLink module (and WeatherSense module) at the console of my boat.

I recently ordered an 898C SI for the console of my boat. It's on backorder at BPS, but while I am waiting for it, I decided to do some reading to get ahead of the game. I stumbled on the wiring diagrams here, and it's got me wondering...

Am I going to need a y-cable for the 898? I plan on mounting the transducer to the transom and the GPS antenna as close to the transducer as I can. From looking at the diagrams, it seems like I'll need a y-cable if I want to take advantage of the high-speed GPS readings. Is that right?

I guess what I am asking is, how do I need to have my wiring to get the maximum performance out of the two units and the accessories?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Wiring Setup Question for 898c SI, InterLink, WeatherSense, Etc
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »
Hooz,
You need to remember that we are talking about two different systems here: the sonar and the GPS/Accessories.

Sonar system:
You will not need to buy a thing unless you want to mount the new HDSi transducer that will come with your 898 unit up higher on the transom to help protect it from those nasty transducer-killing stumps and such that surprise us.  At about $270 to replace, it is something to think about.  If you do than you will need to purchase an inside-the-hull DualBeam transducer (this is if you have a fiberglass boat only!) like the XP-9-20 and the AS-Si-DB-Y cable.  These should run you about $70 plus shipping.  The 788ci is already using the US2 from your trolling motor so nothing needs be done there.

GPS/Accessory system:
The Y-cable you are talking about here is the AS-YC Y-cable.  It is included in the box with your 898 unit, so nothing to buy there.  I would wire the 788ci unit directly to the InterLink and install the WeatherSense between the 898 and the InterLink.  This is where the AS-YC comes in: it will plug into the ACCY-COM connector of the AS-YC while the GPS Receiver will plug into the NMEA-COM connector of AS-YC.  The third connector of the AS-YC will plug into the COM connector of your 898 unit (where the GPS would normally plug in).  You don’t have to do any other connections for the 788ci as it has an internal GPS so you don’t need a second AS-YC cable.  Since each unit now has a GPS Receiver connected directly to it (okay, the 898’s is going through the AS-YC but that is just wire and not another set of circuitry); both units will have the enhanced or faster GPS refresh rate.

If you need a connection diagram for either of these just direct e-mail me and ask for it – make sure you list what units and accessories you have.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo