Author Topic: Proposed forum changes or additions -opinions?  (Read 17365 times)

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Proposed forum changes or additions -opinions?
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »
OK, I have been thinking about some changes over the last month or two and wanted to hear some opinions.

First I was considering cutting down on the number of different forums for different units and condense it down to just a few specific categories that would include everything.

I have also had some request over the years to add a Lowrance users forum.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas they would like to share or additions would could add?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thanks,

Robert Gecy
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
Re: Proposed forum changes or additions -opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
First I was considering cutting down on the number of different forums for different units and condense it down to just a few specific categories that would include everything.
Robert Gecy

I think the Unit Forums could be condensed to hardware-class(1197/997..., 1198/998/898..., ONYX/ION) rather than screen-size.
And it's nice than the Home page spans all forums.  I mostly stay at this home page for Recent Topics or the Posts Since Last Visit function.

Great website. 
ReefMaster ,HumminbirdPC, Humview and etc forums are here.
Downloadable HB and other software are here.
HumminbirdGreg(and I wish DeborahHB was).  But maybe they're the same. :-)

More info here.
I'm here now more than BassBoatCentral sonar forums due to the overboard-marketing-posts, trolling, and thread-hijacking.
IMHO.
Please avoid that here.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:48 PM »
I don't have a problem with the number of different sub forums...

I'm here often enough that I'm only clicking on the sub forums that have "green dots" beside then anyway...(unread posts)...

I worry about a different brand category....

Most every electronics forum I frequent on the web (I think I'm following 16 at last count)...has had to separate the brands just to try and contain the "brand loyalty bickering"....and then they still crawl thru the cracks in the fence (going both ways)...and create animosity amongst the discussion...(some on purpose...some not...but animosity is animosity ...and makes for a difficult environment for informative discussion)

I'm afraid the "Hatfields and McCoys" in the same cow pasture with just a "mouse" (click) between them will not hinder a feud....

Rickie

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:13:55 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »
For the record: While Deborah and I have many things in common, we are in fact different people.

As for the site: There could be a few sub forums that could be combined but not sure how far that should be taken.  New users may not find it as inviting if they were looking for information on a specific model.  I think Rickie is right about the Hatfields and McCoys.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Rotus623

• Unit(s): 898c hd si, 798 hd si
  • Software: 6.49
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »
I think the Unit Forums could be condensed to hardware-class(1197/997..., 1198/998/898..., ONYX/ION) rather than screen-size.

I agree 100%. The newbies will be here regardless. Honestly I think that every new bird should come with a "business card" if you will, with this websites information. This site is 51% of the reason that I went with a Bird and not the L.

Honestly Robert, I think that there is plenty of support on Lowrance out there, and that we should keep it to the bird in here. Maybe you could add a segment or sub-page that says Lowrance vs. H-bird so that people get an apples to apples comparison. Also maybe some of our dual owners could do some comparison runs.

Other than that, Id just like to see the community keep on growing. And maybe add some sort of incentive to add recordings and screen shots on here so that we get some more real-user shots.

Offline Gattlin

• Walking the shores of Galillee
  • Zebco 202 Musky hunters club:P
  • Unit(s): 898C SI & 858C Combo
  • Accessories: Lakemaster chips, Ethernet
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:47:33 PM »
 Condensation into groupings sounds like a good idea to me. A general fishing boating section maybe would be good too boats motor tackle etc. As far as L goes hmm that does leave things open for controversy amungst fanboys.Thanks for asking Gat :)
Just one last cast.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
Since humminbird does not have a forum I would think we should keep this an HB product forum. Robert made a great jump forward in creating this forum. We can discuss topics here without the influence of a company censoring or influencing our posts. Great piece of work by Robert to see the need for what we have today. It must be successful as HB has not seemed to find any reason for another HB forum.
 Lowrance postings comparing HB to Lowrance can be entertained in a topic without having a separate topic for Lawrence.
Robert maintains this forum without requests for donations. However there is a membership level of beings a member here in which you can contribute to the operating expenses of the forum. check out the home page and membership tag.

Thanks Robert for all you have done..
chuck

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
Robert, This forum has a lot of unique people and discussions that are not available anywhere else......I wouldn't change a thing.
That being said, like LittleGazoo, I just monitor for the most recent posts regardless of subforum.  I guess reduction in the number of forums isn't really important to me.  I think now that there are so many models that the individual forums aren't all that important.

I agree with Rickie about the Hatfields and Mcoys......It is nice to not have all the bickering on this forum.

It's also nice to have Greg as a frequent contributor which could be jeopardized if expanded to Lowrance.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »
I would like to stuff the ballot box in favor of keeping this HB only.
I suspect that many come here because it's not the HB/LOW mixed platform.
Agree with the Hatfield and McCoy potential if combined.
Although I'm not in Rickie's league (16 sites), I do visit other sites and have seen more that one skirmish between the fans. It can turn ugly quick and doesn't end well.

Mike   

Offline Gattlin

• Walking the shores of Galillee
  • Zebco 202 Musky hunters club:P
  • Unit(s): 898C SI & 858C Combo
  • Accessories: Lakemaster chips, Ethernet
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »
 Yes in my humble opinion it should probably stay as it is. Which is what makes it great. A HB forum. Gat
Just one last cast.

Offline Dieago

• Unit(s): 999si
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
I like the forum! Only thing I would like to have is a option to UN follow a post. Like when you make a small comment on post and it keeps showing up in replys to your post. but this is really no big deal.
“I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!”

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:18 AM »
Dieago,

That is already a feature.  You can turn it on and off and chose which post to follow.  Check the settings in your profile.  You may have it automatically turned on.  Turn it off, then when you post you chose to enable for the one you want to be notified on by clicking "Notify me of Replies" right below the text editor box. 

Robert

Offline bass student

• Unit(s): 598ci hd si
  • Software: 6.640
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »
I like this site just the way it is! People seem to want to keep it on the up and up.( respect)
I like the way people interact with everyone here. (again respect)
I love all the info here!

Offline ezfishn

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
I too bought HB products because of the great information in this site.  I am just a newbie but some minimal groupings as suggested would be fine.  Would suggest also like others for a couple of new folders on newer HB Products (ONYX, ION, 360, etc.).  I would vote NAY on the Lowrance folder.  I'm sure there are mixed users here but haven't seen the bashing here like on other forums.  Also, my thanks to all that make this forum work and to help us newbies.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments.  I am pleased to hear the forum is well liked and yes we have a great group of members here.  I am always up for a good discussion but have never tolerated any negative comments here.  You guys are really what makes it great!

I am going to think about some minimal rearranging of the forums and add a few new ones.  I will probably add a single forum for Lowrance discussion since we do have some users who have both or users like Rickard  ;) who have come up with some cool mods!

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.  Keep them coming!

Robert

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »
Robert

You're the Captain of the ship and based on previous experience we'll be just fine.

One thought on the Lowrance discussion section is that if it gets out of hand, you can flip the kill switch.

Rickard's ideas/research/info on the LOWBIRD transducer offer great potential improvement for our units.
       I hope the engineers at HB are watching and he is rewarded for his designs.

Mike

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
A lowrance tab might be good as we see the cross references and comparisons more often than in the past. As Robert said, there are those who have gone outside the envelope and merged elements from both products. Both HB and Lowrance are low end cost units and certainly don't have the functions and display of the more costly products but aside from that these small units have value in specific uses. This forum no longer is HB products and is not a specific product forum but more of a how to and what if (with regards to sonar)and probably should have cross manufacture topics. This includes the already existing topics for software and mapping.. The work of Rickard and others will be more available this way, which enhances the low end functions of our units.
This site is probably heads above other forums in both quality of posts and certainly the "0" tolerance for bickering.
A big tip o the hat to Robert for all his work and perseverance in keeping this forum alive. And to the folks who take their time to share their knowledge with all users.
Chuck

Offline Dieago

• Unit(s): 999si
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »
Me I just roll with the flow. You want to change some things I'll roll with it. Leave it alone I'll roll with it.
I'm here to learn all I can and get along with fellow users. To me this is like school and I'm trying for my masters. I go to the lake do my homework and report back here. Ive seen trouble makers in other various types of forums I just I just try and not fuel there fire! I'm not the smartest cookie here but I hope I am one of the little crumbs lol Like others Ive looked all around here and now I just kinda stay In a couple places.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:11:49 PM by Dieago »
“I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!”

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »
Like stated above it's your site, Have learned much from here and guys are willing to help out us that are learning.  No matter what may show up different as to your changes I'm sure it will remain to be a great forum and learning tool for others.

I ran Low before getting a HB and still have the Low on the boat for now.  The ones that do want to come here and start the mines better than yours game I'm sure will be handled by admin as I don't think members here will take the bait as I see on other forums.  Bunch of good folks here.
Thanks for the forum
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:36:23 AM by slabbacks »
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
This a great forum and really like it the way it is, it is easy to look up specific information on individual units.

It should an HB only forum with the current sub-grouping.  Robert, you have developed a forum that is very easy to use and works for all level of participants.

When I want to look at Lowrance I go to their forums.

Great involvement by all members, I do not remember any questions going unanswered like many other forums.

George

Offline 5eyes

• Unit(s): 898c SI
  • Software: ?
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »
while i do not post often, i do read many topics..this is a very well run forum..keep that..much information here..as far as a low section,i am all for it..competition in the marketplace keeps innovation alive and well..better for all of us..thank you Robert  5

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo