Author Topic: 899 Depth readout  (Read 3862 times)

Offline bhgammon

• Unit(s): HELIX C/M SI GPS G2N MEGA, 899 Si
  • Accessories: i-Pilot link
899 Depth readout
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
The issue is that the depth readout number jumps all over. it does it in standard sonar, both Max, and clear mode, plus SI mode too. The graph shows an accurate picture, and there is an echo display under the true picture. This problem comes and goes sometimes and, completely disappears for several minutes at times with no change in actual depth, or composition of the bottom.

The 899 is not the only model that has this problem.This seems to be a problem that has been around for several years according to many posts that I have run across. The expert recommended checks also are very repetitive. I get the impression that HB hasn't tried very hard to resolve this long term issue. I keep my units updated on new software releases hoping that the next one will have the magic fix in it; no such luck so far.

I always keep informed on the latest equipment being released in order to decide when to upgrade to the newest technology but am hesitant that I will end up with more new problems, and even some old ones, that never get resolved. It seems that HB puts a disproportionate priority on marketing new units vs resolving problems with units that they have sold. The quality track record of a company influences future sales, especially when competitors are hot on your heels.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:06:31 PM by bhgammon »

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: 899 Depth readout
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
Have you called customer service about this issue?
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline bhgammon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
Yes

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
You are correct that erratic depth issues seem to be prevalent in all the forums  ... It seems to be more related to the HELIX line but there are still reports of erratic depth issues in the numbered series core units also  ...

We (in any forum I follow) don't know how HB may be addressing this in the engineering department, nor in the morning meetings  ...

It is good you have contacted HB because customer logs are how HB determines if an "issue" is an "issue" (or an individual installation problem) and how much priority is put on any certain "issue"  ...

In the mean time, we (in the forums) try to find "workarounds" for issues that pop up to help users with the issue at hand (until HB does actually change something)  ...

We know for a fact that any 2nd Sonar unit transmitting at the same time will cause crosstalk interfence that shows on the affected unit display as erratic depth readings  ...

We know from user reports that some are finding more stable depth readings from SwitchFire Clear and reducing Sensitivity some  ...

We know from user reports that some are finding selecting 200kHz only may help (this one even makes sense because it takes the 83kHz transmit out of the ping sequence to allow more frequent 200kHz transmit pings = where the digital depth is derived from)  ...

We know from user reports that some are finding reducing "Surface Clutter" may help  ...

I've even read a user report that "Salt Water Deep" Water Type setting is helping  ...

I agree all of this is aggravating  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:47:42 AM by rnvinc »

Offline bhgammon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
Thanks for such a great response, I will check each suggestion very carefully.

You're right, it is an aggravating thing to put up with. I do have a 795 DI running at the same time but turning it off doesn't affect the problem. It does seem that doing a reset on the 899 eliminates the problem for a time, a few minutes to several hours. I have even tried running without changing any settings after a reset, but the problem still returns returns.I can cope with this as long as the depth is correct on the graphic display, but coping is not the proper cure.

I have considered that HB must know what is causing this issue and instead of biting the bullet, they just introduce a new model that doesn't have this problem, thinking that that will spur new model sales. I don't think that HB would stoop to that, but nowadays some people will do anything to make a buck and it makes us less trusting than we used to be. I have spent 76 years in this world and I have witnessed ethics plunge beyond belief. Pray for better times ahead.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:04:01 AM »
There was a time back in the xx7 days where HB fixed a similar erratic depth issue with a software update  ... (I still use my 1197 to this day and I remember a lot of updates)  ... 

It was the same scenario we are seeing today = erratic depth over hard bottom creating double the actual depth readings... with correct bottom detail  ...

HB'S software fix did indeed "fix" the erratic depth... But I swear it seemed to me the unit was less "sensitive" to showing weaker echoes  ...in 2d and SI  ...

Of course there no quantifying evidence I could ever tag that software update to  ...

I still refuse to use the latest (and last) software update for my 1197  ... the latest is just not the "greatest" (software version for my 1197)  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:09:14 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
I just saw a post on another forum where the surface clutter was explained.  When the surface clutter is adjusted it affects the TVG .... I don't know if switchfire clear has to be turned on or not.
The lower the surface clutter is set, the greater the action of the TVG ..... They were saying a surface clutter setting of 1 or 2 is where the erratic depth is normally seen.  So, I guess the thing to do would be have switchfire clear turned on and if you have erratic depth keep turning the surface clutter setting up and see if it corrects the problem.
I don't have a unit with this problem, or I would do some experimenting.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo