Author Topic: High speed readings on 898 SI  (Read 11293 times)

Offline JDX

• Unit(s): 788 ci 898HD SI 899HD SI
High speed readings on 898 SI
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
Sorry if this is redundant but looking at older posts didnt reassure me. I have my ducer mounted on the transom. Excellent low speed readings on all. I read to install a SI HSK with a switch for hi speed 2D readings. Is this still the best way ? I do not have the option to mount a thru hull ducer.
   Could someone that has done this install with a glass hull please give me some feedback on pros and cons ?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: High speed readings on 898 SI
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
Sorry if this is redundant but looking at older posts didnt reassure me. I have my ducer mounted on the transom. Excellent low speed readings on all. I read to install a SI HSK with a switch for hi speed 2D readings. Is this still the best way ? I do not have the option to mount a thru hull ducer.
   Could someone that has done this install with a glass hull please give me some feedback on pros and cons ?

You can install a Dual Beam 200/83 (XNT 9 20) with an AS SI DB Y cable and install the Dual Beam xducer lower on the transom into "clean" bubble free water to obtain high speed readings...

There is no setting change needed with this setup because the AS SIDB Y cable disconnects the wires going to the HDSI xducer Dual Beam crystal and re-routes the 2d data to come from the XNT 9 20 instead...

http://store.humminbird.com/products/460963/AS_SIDB_Y

And there is no "switch" needed because the AS SIDB Y cable is just a cable...

This allows one to keep the more expensive HDSI xducer up a little higher on the transom for protection ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:10:50 PM by rnvinc »

Offline JDX

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
Looks like the way to go, ordered, thank you.

Offline JDX

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »

Installed the xnt transducer and y cable. Here is a picture of the mount on the xnt, The previous owner had a transducer mounted here as well as the the previous holes you see next to the drains. There was a Lowrance mounted near the drains and that did get a signal at 25mph. I didnt get a chance to try changing the angle of the transducer or the location. I was unable to get a reading above 10 mph which is right where the HD SI transducer loses signal. Based on the mounting what would you do next ?

also, when switching transducers do I select Dual Beam for the XNT ? I would've thought with the technology and using factory devices the 898 would know whats plugged in.
 Thank you for your help !

Offline JDX

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »
Also if someone stumbles across this I noticed  since I installed the XNT and y cable my SI is grainy, almost like interference. I was wondering if the placement of the XNT directly in front of the SI could've caused this or if anyone else has run across this.

Offline coriobay

• Unit(s): 898csi
  • Software: 6.1
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:23:09 AM »
Hi
The ducer in front will cause turbulance , also, you need to have 1/3 of the ducer actually in the water at speed to get a reading,
 the picture you attached looks like the ducer needs to go down near the bungs in the hull to be in the water at speed
I have mine on a slide and it takes some fine adjustment to get it right, Above 10 you will struggle to get decent SI images no matter what the setup is
2d should read flat out

Offline JDX

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
Thank you, I originally was going to place it won there, wondering your opinion on placement of the transducer in relation to the hull. Would it be better for the puck to be a little lower,flush or higher than the bottom of the boat. I realize lower could make it vulnerable for destruction . Thanks !

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
JDX,
When you stated “thru hull ducer” in your original post; did you in fact mean a true Thru-Hull transducer that mounts under the hull via a stem that mounts up through a hole in the hull or did you mean an inside-the-hull (aka: shoot-thru) transducer?

I would think that your best chance of a high-speed depth readings would be with an inside-the-hull transducer or you will have to mount that XNT transducer down lower on the transom (lower than the hull per directions) so that it is always in contact with the water at higher boat speeds.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline JDX

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »
Greg , its a external mount, I understand now wehre I am going to have to mount it for it to stay in a bubble free zone. thank you guys for the responses !

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »
I understand what you have now JDX, I was just wondering why you did not want an inside-the-hull mounted transducer instead.

Be sure and post back with a picture showing the new mounting location and how it works.

Offline JDX

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »
Hi Greg :

Thanks for your input can I get your opinion. I originally thought a thru hull transucer would be best as well. I was recomended installing the XNT 9 20 So I did that. I do beleive that I am not going to fget the signal I desire no matter where I put this externally. Can I mount this XNT 9 20 inside the hull somehow ?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »
Yes you can JDX.  It would mount just like an inside-the-hull transducer would, except that it has a different shape to the transducer itself.  Be sure to test the location before mixing any epoxy though!

Offline JDX

Re: Thru hull mounting opinions please
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »

I removed the old flasher puck from my FG hull and am going to mount my 2D TD in that location for hi speed readings

I have read :

1) Use epoxy to mount it.

2) Water box with either mineral oil,anti freeze or water . Which I like the idea of using PVC to house the unit, then screw a cap on it and should be good for years. Not sure of really what to use as a solution or how far away from the hull the puck should be.

3) Marine silicone .

I know that any adhesive has to be bubble free, I dont want to use and adhesive so strong that when the TD fails I have to risk taking up chunks of FG

What have you guys done or recomend  ? Has anyone done one of these water boxes ? TY, Jeff

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
1) Yep, I’ve installed many of these (possibly 100+).

2) I’ve only done about six of these.  Ideas I have used for keeping the transducer (not always a “puck” shaped transducer) in place was to place a weight on top of it or using the transom mount hardware to secure it to the inside of the PVC pipe.  I have not used a screw on cap yet as the ones I have done were either left open on top or had a standard (non-screw on) cap on them (was not chemically welded in place).

3) Nope and never will.  Soft adhesives degrade the strength of the sonar signal, plus some silicones have been known to attack the plastic of the transducer housing.  If you just want to use silicone than I recommend going with the water bath method and use it to seal the bottom of the PVC pipe to the hull.

Offline JDX

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »
I have not used a screw on cap yet as the ones I have done were either left open on top or had a standard (non-screw on) cap on them (was not chemically welded in place).
Thank you for the info Greg, I had read where guys were mounting the puck using the transom hardware to the cap then just using compression fit as oppose to threaded or gluing. I like that idea but I think I will go with popular opinion and epoxy it. It's a transom mount puck not a shoot thru, already been mounted too. worked fine but it's just a matter of time before it gets damaged. BTW the old flasher puck came right out just like you said, nice and clean too ! Used a wood block and a whack and it was free. Limited thru hull space so I decided to use that location. I assume if it worked for a 20 year old flasher, it should work with my 898 ! thanks again !

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
That same location should work but go through the on-water testing just to make sure JDX. Try and get all of the old epoxy out as well, so that the new transducer will be bonded directly to the fiberglass.

Offline JDX

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
Ok will do Greg, the Epoxy all came up with the old transducer, so lucky enough dont have to cram myself down in there for a sanding session. I would assum the signal strength from the new 898 would be stronger than the old flasher. I am going to test it before I mount it permanently. Thanks again !

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »
Hope that gets ya going JDX, I really like the winter bite and low boat traffic this time of year and would hate to see ya missing out.

good luck on the water
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline JDX

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
Hope that gets ya going JDX,

Oh I'm going slabbacks, unfortunately my logistics shut my season off. 20 degree air temps, winter in Chicago has set in. However, I'm staying in the moment by tweaking everything on my boat. I ended up just ordering the Humminbird Epoxy from a company I ordered my bilge pump from. Also have a package from Bluewater LED and just placed an order with Flounder Pounder who I found awesome to deal with in replacing the  carling switches in my 18 yr old boat. Go get em' slabbacks I will be back on the water with a bow mount 898 SI as a companion to my console mount 898 SI and the smallies better watch their back.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo