Author Topic: Introducing ReefMaster Software  (Read 29671 times)

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
Introducing ReefMaster Software
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »
Hi,
I'd just like to take a moment to introduce ReefMaster Software to this forum, and thank Robert for setting it up.

A quick summary of ReefMaster:

• ReefMaster is a Windows application that lets you edit waypoints and tracks graphically on top of world background maps.
• ReefMaster imports and exports natively to Humminbird track and waypoint files.
• ReefMaster lets you create contour maps from saved track logs that you can also view and manipulate in full 3D.
• There is a fully functional 14 day trial where you can try all of the ReefMaster features without any limitation.
• There is a FREE version that offers all of the waypoint management features, but does not include the mapping component.

Now, a few more details..

ReefMaster is a Windows PC application that combines graphical track and waypoint management with underwater mapping, letting you create your own maps using data that you collect in your saved track logs. You can export your contour maps as images, Google Earth overlays, or to your Humminbird unit as segmented tracks - you can use the track styles menu on your unit to make the contours show as solid lines in a range of different colours. ReefMaster also provides a map editing screen where you can draw and edit paths for export as segmented tracks. For example, you can outline marine sanctuary zones or state lines so that are easily visible on your unit.

ReefMaster is not just about mapping!
ReefMaster offers extremely simple to use, graphical waypoint management with a host of features designed with boat anglers, and Humminbird users, in mind. These include;

• Import and export of GPX and native Humminbird track and waypoint formats.
• Automatic import of Humminbird screen snapshots with waypoint information - the image is attached to the new waypoint where it can be viewed with a single click.
• Automatic elimination of duplicate waypoints.
• Preservation of Humminbird waypoint symbols and conversion of Humminbird symbols to and from ReefMaster's own symbol set.
• Unlimited number of waypoint groups with super simple copying and moving of waypoints between groups.
• Unlimited notes and images for each waypoint.

ReefMaster provides a simple way to store and edit track logs
• Import and export tracks directly from and to Humminbird format memory cards.
• Edit tracks graphically; crop, delete, filter by depth and apply water level adjustments.

Underwater mapping can add a new dimension to your fishing experience
• Create maps using the depth and position information in saved track logs.
• View maps in full 3D, with waypoints shown in full 3D on your underwater models. Drag and drop waypoints in 3D!
• Generate contour lines, with user adjustable contour increments.
• Generate maps from your contours - you select the contours you want to appear on your GPS.

ReefMaster also acts as a librarian for your GPS data, allowing you to create Data Sets that contain waypoints, maps and tracks. Data sets allow you to group the data you need at any one time on your GPS so that they can be exported to your Humminbird with a single click. Create a data set for each different port or lake you fish, or for the different marks you need as the seasons, and target fish, change.

ReefMaster is available in three editions, FREE, LITE and PRO.

• The FREE edition contains all of ReefMaster's track and waypoint management features, but is limited to importing and exporting GPX format files.
• The LITE edition adds native import and export of Humminbird and Lowrance data formats, data sets and hand edited map paths.
• The PRO edition has all of the above, plus 3D underwater mapping.

There is a 14 day, fully functional free trial with all of the features of the PRO edition enabled. At the end of the trial, you can buy a license for one of the premium editions or continue to use the free version.

There's much more on the site, including a host of reference material and tutorials, so please take a look: ReefMaster

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please do not hesitate to post on this forum.

thanks!

Matt
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:17:46 AM by matt_fender »
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: Introducing ReefMaster Software
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
Sounds like a very useful program.......Does it work with data from the new 6.6 version? 
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline flatcat_auz

• ManWhore for Hire
  • Unit(s): 798CXI HD SI
  • Software: Version 6.250
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
I always get sacred when all the features are mention but no price. A bit like the 360 marketing.....
ManWhore for Hire.
Affordable rates.
Sorry No Seniors Discount.

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:20:30 PM »
Hi Bob,
The application reads and writes Humminbird track (.HT) and routes and waypoints (.HWR) files, it does not read .SON files.
It has been tested up to version 6.3.

Flatcat,
The price of the full 3D mapping edition is US$119, there is a lite edition @$49 which includes native Humminbird and Lowrance import and export as well as the capability to draw map areas by hand.
The full features comparison table is here.

The free edition is free, and includes all the waypoint and track editing features of the other two versions. The only limitation is that it is restricted to importing and exporting files in the GPX file format. From a Humminbird user's perspective, this means that you need to run the data through Humminbird PC between ReefMaster on the way in and out of your unit, in order to create the appropriate native file formats.
The program is very easy to use, with a world background map and simple, graphical editing facilities. Give it a try! You get to sample the full set of features for 14 days before the feature limitations of the free version kick in, so if you want to try making a map with your stored data you've got plenty of time!

thanks,
Matt

Offline flatcat_auz

• ManWhore for Hire
  • Unit(s): 798CXI HD SI
  • Software: Version 6.250
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:01:43 AM »
Sorry mate didn't realise you were one of us  8). I might give it a go and let you know how I went.
ManWhore for Hire.
Affordable rates.
Sorry No Seniors Discount.

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum!  I look forward to checking out your product in a few days.  I do have a few questions already...
1. can you import waypoints from a spreadsheet such as exce using reefmasterl? 
2. I notice your product automatically deletes duplicate waypoints..  so if I have two waypoints with the same coordinates, but they   have different names, does it allow me to choose which one is kept?

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
HI there,

1. can you import waypoints from a spreadsheet such as exce using reefmasterl?
At the moment no.
Waypoints can be imported from GPX files, Humminbird (.HWR) or Lowrance (.USR) files.
We might look at the possibility of importing waypoints from CSV (comma separated value) files in the near feature. CSV files are easy to create using excel.

2. I notice your product automatically deletes duplicate waypoints..  so if I have two waypoints with the same coordinates, but they   have different names, does it allow me to choose which one is kept?

Duplicate elimination is an option at the time of import. The application checks location and time when determining whether or not a waypoint is a duplicate. That can be changed so that it ignores time also, but the program never considers name when comparing waypoints.
If you want to import several waypoints in the same position, with different names, then de-select the "ignore duplicate waypoints" option when you import the waypoints. You can then tidy up those waypoints by hand if required.

hope that helps,
Matt
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:15:01 PM by matt@reefmaster »

Offline jimham82

• Jim Hammond
    • LakeImages Training
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 1198c SI, 360, 899
  • Software: Latest Versions
  • Accessories: AutoChart, Humviewer, ChartSelect, HBPC
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
I downloaded the software free trial and I don't see the 3D capabilities anywhere.   Can you give some guidance?

Offline Kim Christiansen

• Kim Christiansen
    • Danas Have Denmark
  • Unit(s): 798ci SI HD Combo
  • Software: 6.250
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
 Hi Matt.

I'm using MapSource from Garmin.

Therefore these questions?

1. Can I use / transfer gdb files in ReefMaster.

2. Can I do anything in MapSourse that can not be done in ReefMaster.

3.What has ReefMaster of extra features, which
MapSource not use.

4. I'll try to make a test of ReefMaster.

Thanks for your help and answer

Sincerely,
Kim C
above the clouds the sun always shines !!!

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
I downloaded the software free trial and I don't see the 3D capabilities anywhere.   Can you give some guidance?

Hi Jim,
I have started a new thread to answer your question here.
thanks,
Matt

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
Hi Matt.

I'm using MapSource from Garmin.

Therefore these questions?

1. Can I use / transfer gdb files in ReefMaster.

2. Can I do anything in MapSourse that can not be done in ReefMaster.

3.What has ReefMaster of extra features, which
MapSource not use.

4. I'll try to make a test of ReefMaster.

Thanks for your help and answer

Sincerely,
Kim C

Hi Kim,
Thanks for your interest.

1. ReefMaster doesn't currently support native Garmin files - this is scheduled for Q2 2013. In the meantime, you can import and export waypoints and trails in GPX format. This does mean that you have an extra step to go through when transferring waypoints from ReefMaster to your Garmin device.

2. ReefMaster doesn't currently support routes. This is also scheduled and should be delivered end of Q1/start Q2 of this year.

3. ReefMaster has a host of extra features - notably, the capability to generate 3D maps from your saved track logs (ReefMaster can read the Garmin depth extensions in GPX files, so you should be able to make maps fine so long as your device can save depth information in the breadcrumb trail). Other than that - ReefMaster has slightly better world background maps and a much more "modern" user interface, with some pretty handy track editing facilities and ways to store commonly grouped data (tracks, different groups of waypoints etc) so that they can be exported easily on demand.

4. Give it a go!

thanks,
Matt

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »
Matt what are the display options on HB?
Im still looking for software that will display contours in different colors similar to a contour map on Lowrance ...
all options ive seen out there so far will only let you display one color
 or shades of green on a HB unit??
ds
stgr

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
Hi Dave,
Unfortunately Humminbird do not proved a mechanism for displaying third party maps as 'genuine' contours.
The best we can do is as you have already experienced - faking contours with segmented tracks - which can in many instances provide just as much information when on the water, and look good with the right choice of line-style.

We have already experimented with a method for cycling through colours on consecutive contours, and felt that the setup process on the unit was too convoluted for the user, but perhaps it can be included in the next incremental update for those that are willing to spend the time setting it up. I'll outline what we did:

* create a number of separate tracks (this could be user defined, but 3 is enough to be able to discern the direction of a gradient)  for a user map, with separate tracks for alternating contours.
* on the unit, you need to set a line style for three tracks, not just one, and pick the cycle of colours/styles. This is the extra effort that we worried about.

The extra effort can be somewhat mitigated by the fact that separate map areas can be combined into single, larger maps, so limiting the total number of tracks that needs to be configured for display.

Please let me know if this interests you and I will make sure we include the option in the next incremental release.

thanks,
Matt

Offline LANYC

• Unit(s): 1198c HD SI
  • Accessories: airmar p66, waether sens
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
hi i'm french and i've a question about reefmaster. i want to buy this soft for use with my 1198 but i would like know if the DAT file are compatible with airmar P66 transducteur and if yes how export my propection, all track who are in the map in the SD card?
thanks.
have a nice day :)

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:48 AM »
Hi Lanyc,
You can use any transducer to produce your depth data for ReefMaster, as Humminbird will store the data in the same format regardless.
Currently, ReefMaster does not import Humminbird .DAT/.SON recordings directly, although the code is in place for this and will be released very soon (a week or two) - and will also support the v6.6+ data format.
In the mean time you have two options:
1. If the tracks are still on your HB unit, you can do an "Export all nav data" so the the tracks are saved in Humminbird track (.HT) format on your SD memory card. You can then import these tracks directly into ReefMaster.
2. If you have saved sonar logs (.DAT/.SON files), you can import these files into Humviewer and then re-export the tracks as GPX files - select the option "1 second intervals". These GPX files can then be imported into ReefMaster.
Thanks for your interest,
Matt

Offline LANYC

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 02:43:54 AM »
ok tanks for all,
when i export my trace there are the depth whith in this file?
great MAJ, if i buy reefmaster now the MAJ will do automatic when they are a new version of your code ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:47:32 AM by LANYC »

Offline matt@reefmaster

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 03:46:00 AM »
HI Lanyc,
Yes - the depths will be in the Humminbird tracks when you export them - the only caveat here is that there (used to be?) a really annoying bug in older HB units whereby all track depths would be lost *if* the current track looped around and started recording again from the beginning. This would only happen if you completely filled the current track (approx 21000 points), so it is always good practice to save tracks of interesting areas explicitly as you create them.
I'm not sure I understand your second question, but yes - if you buy ReefMaster that includes all minor version updates. The application will update automatically on start-up when a new release is available, so long as an internet connection is available.
You can try the application free for 14 days with no functional limitations, so I encourage you to download it and try your data. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
thanks,
Matt

Offline LANYC

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 04:31:51 AM »
thanks for all i think i wil buy reefmaster soon.
thanks. ;) :) ;)

Offline Terrible45

• French Humminbird Forum
  • Unit(s): 998 HD SI - 998 SI
  • Software: V6.680 - Reefmaster
  • Accessories: TERROVA I pilot Link/Weathersense/360°
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »
I Matt,
Very very good program, and thank you to a futur development

Xavier
LOL and VERY LOL

Offline tkalfaoglu

• kalfaoglu.net
  • Unit(s): Helix 5 GPS G3
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2024, 05:10:26 AM »
Can the ReefMaster be used to import maps from, say, google earth and saved to a format that can be used by the Helix 5 GPS G3?

Many thanks, -t

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo