Author Topic: ALL SI Models - Bluetooth/wireless  (Read 14531 times)

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
ALL SI Models - Bluetooth/wireless
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
Model: 
ALL SI Models
Suggested Upgrade: 
Bluetooth/wireless
Explanation: 
After working my tail off fishing the ethernet cable to hook up my ipilot link to my 998cSI, and then to have noise interference, it dawned on me that since both the motor and the ff have a power supply, how easy it would be, and how much nicer it would look if they communicated wirelessly.  The same could also be said for the gps, transducer, or linking units together.  Many times it is easier to find a 12v source, than fish wires all the way to the ff.  I don't know what kind of amp draw it would take, but if it wasnt too bad that would really look much cleaner and make for a much simpler install.
Added in Software Version: 
Comments on Update: 

Offline gixxer01

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI
  • Software: 6.6
Re: ALL SI Models - Bluetooth/wireless
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »
I got a feeling that's the direction things are going.  Simrad/Lowrance have the GoFree, but doesn't offer any real world benefits.  I could see the WiFi replacing Ethernet, but doubt it would work well for ducers.  I thought it would be fun to hack someone's WiFi and see what they are fishing over!  Make it smartphone compatible, too. 

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
Wouldn't you run the risk of interference from all the other boats
in the area using wireless connections?
Your unit might be displaying the gps coordinates and sonar
returns from another boat.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:59:55 AM by ITGEEK »

Offline freezerfiller

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
Wouldn't you run the risk of interference from all the other boats
in the area using wireless connections?
Your unit might be displaying the gps coordinates and sonar
returns from another boat.

I wouldn't think so.  I don't hear other people's conversations on my phone.  Once you link email together, you're good to go.

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
Yea, but phones are different.
Each phone has a unique number.
I think by FCC law, they have to be private.

I would think wireless sonars would be like garage door openers, and
extremely simple.
If somebody has the same model garage door opener as yours,
they can open your garage door with their remote.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
Security Passwords, Network Naming, Channel ID/Freq, and Discoverability ......all of these protocols are typical in wireless products to prevent issues like this. 

I think its a great idea, but other than communicating between units, the ability to communicate with a PC, Tablet or phone would be of more interest to me.  As of right now, the applications just dont justify having it.  How cool would it be to have your tablet with you and be able to view and record live sonar data wirelessly!  Or Interface other mapping software in realtime.  Make a waypoint and it automatically transfers to you unit.  I think Humminbird needs to step up the software devolpment side of their business!  As of right now, they cant even fix the Waypoint Management software they promised 2 years ago!

Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »
What Robert said!!
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »
I think its a great idea, but other than communicating between units, the ability to communicate with a PC, Tablet or phone would be of more interest to me.  As of right now, the applications just dont justify having it.  How cool would it be to have your tablet with you and be able to view and record live sonar data wirelessly!  Or Interface other mapping software in realtime.  Make a waypoint and it automatically transfers to you unit.  I think Humminbird needs to step up the software devolpment side of their business!  As of right now, they cant even fix the Waypoint Management software they promised 2 years ago!

I couldn't agree more Robert - in fact, I am convinced the future of boating electronics is going to be tablet based, and sooner than we think. Imagine a generic bit of hardware that powers a standard transducer (it could accept existing transducers, reducing the cost further), and simply forwards the data wirelessly. Technically, very easy and very doable right now. Your front-end is a tablet, with software to display the sonar image. The barriers to entry for small companies to supply this software are massively reduced, with zero hardware requirements. All of the things you mention will be possible, as well as much more we haven't thought of yet. The GPS side of things is already in place, and good quality waterproof housings are already around for the ipad. Existing tablets already offer far better processing power and screen resolution than most fishfinders, at a fraction of the price. If I was an existing hardware manufacturer I'd be worried, because they are going to get cut out of the game unless they dramatically shift their focus to innovative software development.
On a personal level I've been disappointed with Humminbird over the last few years - they changed the game with SI but they've done precious little since - for my sort of fishing, things like 360 are gimmicks and not useful. It pains me to say it, but Lowrance have upped their game and are leading the charge.
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline strawdg

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
I also couldn't agree with everything said here more.

especially:
If I was an existing hardware manufacturer I'd be worried, because they are going to get cut out of the game unless they dramatically shift their focus to innovative software development.
On a personal level I've been disappointed with Humminbird over the last few years - they changed the game with SI but they've done precious little since - for my sort of fishing, things like 360 are gimmicks and not useful. It pains me to say it, but Lowrance have upped their game and are leading the charge.

HB's software team is at best mediocre, with the present availability of tablets, netbooks etc all the options mentioned in this thread are not only possible but probable.

Also HBPC could easily be modified to provide a means to give full customization of a units screen layout, even with present hardware...

Straw

Offline mako101

• Unit(s): 798si hd
  • Software: 5.210
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 05:26:35 PM »
HB could add value to their units by simply opening the door to third party software vendors. :)

Offline strawdg

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »
HB could add value to their units by simply opening the door to third party software vendors. :)

I agree......

However from what I have seen it looks to me like they actively try to close that door every chance they get.... :o :(

Straw

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
I wouldnt say they have closed the door, but they certainly havent opened it.  When we first cracked the recording structure there were some concerns over using it to produce any software, especially if it was being sold, because the structure is proprietary and HB owns the rights to release it, sell or lease it to 3rd parties.  They could have asked us to stop or prevented applications like Dr. Depth from using it.  To date they have not!  Basically i was told in short by the head of the software dept, they would not release the full structure to us, but would not stop us from doing it.

Son2xtf was created as a way for 3rd party apps to use the structure without them having to reveal it.  The xtf format is widely used and is open and free to use.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline strawdg

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »
Son2xtf was created as a way for 3rd party apps to use the structure without them having to reveal it.  The xtf format is widely used and is open and free to use.

Robert

Robert--
Son2xtf is exactly why I said that it seems to me that HB appears to be actively trying to close the door on third party application development. Son2xtf USED to be a download option in my HB account.... It is no longer available there, others have reported the same. The fact that it might be available elsewhere is really beside the point..... It appears that HB is trying to thwart anyone trying to add versatility to their units.

What really seems wrong about this, is that HB is using a Linux based operating system, Linux is also free and open source..... Seems that what is good for the goose should be good for the gander...

There is really no reason HB couldn't keep the code for the algorithms that need to be proprietary locked while allowing others access to the data.....

After all my manual states:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: This product uses the Linux operating system. This portion of the software is free
software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General
Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that
it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General
Public License for more details.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It just seems to me that HB wants the benefit of free and open source BUT doesn't want to honor the spirit of of it....  ::)

Straw
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:54:59 PM by strawdg »

Offline Bob B

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
It is a marketing decision that could be heavily debated.  Look at the difference between the way Microsoft and Apple approached this.  Microsoft went open and sold a lot more product initially, and everyone thought Apple was crazy for keeping their stuff proprietary.....They acted VERY aggressively to keep it that way.

Now, up until 1 recent attack, Apple has been virtually virus free and have VERY loyal customers.

The big difference between Apple and Humminbird, however,  is that Apple has excellent software developers....anyone who doesn't perform is outa there.

Offline strawdg

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
The big difference between Apple and Humminbird, however,  is that Apple has excellent software developers....anyone who doesn't perform is outa there.

I won't argue the apple thing (I prefer LINUX) but the point of "excellent software developers" is spot on....
HB at BEST is mediocre in that respect ..... (unbelievably  they still haven't figured out that they are selling computers) ......

Their hardware is pretty much meaningless and CHEAP..... in all reality,  (maybe not the transducers, but that is arguable considering the reported failures).....

It is the software that makes a computer worthwhile ........

But..... apparently, it is only an expensive  'fishfinder"  8)

Straw
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:03:53 PM by strawdg »

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »
Remember guys, these ARE fish finders.
Their primary job is it to find fish and structure.
They are also heavily used to find drowning/boating
victims.

I would much rather have bigger, clearer screens,
more memory, faster processors, more powerful and
highly detailed transducers, and more accurate GPS.
The computer communications fluff is just going to add
cost to the units, and not improve the basic functions.

With every option you add to a unit, the Humminbird programmers
must write code and keep the code updated.
You see how that's been going.
I think new features/accessories means more cost, and more updates
with problems.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:42:58 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline freezerfiller

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
There were some very good prognostications on this thread.....  The first Bluetooth transducer tablet/phone version is apparently out.   

http://store12459.americommerce.com/store/p/27-SP200-T-BOX.aspx

http://www.sonarphone.mobi/blog/2014/08/19/navionics-now-offers-fish-finder-option-in-app

No side imaging, but still seems pretty neat.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
I have an idea in my head of how to do this with the Humminbird Onix.....I would love to experiment with it, but am not going to be getting one any time soon because they are still full of bugs.

Offline mike fish

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI, 899, 999, 999
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
Freeze filler, Yes its been out for almost a year now. I know a couple people that have tried sonarphone and said it works well however as usual they were using they're phone and said it would be much better with a Ipad.
There is also a wireless camera phone app out too. You still need to deploy camera and cable but can be viewed remotely via phone or Ipad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo