Author Topic: Red box when creating map  (Read 5330 times)

Offline Rfreese1

• Unit(s): 788,787,autochart 899 ci HD SI
  • Software: 6.080
  • Accessories: Autochart
Red box when creating map
« on: December 19, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »
Hi first post here,  is there any way to create a map that is bigger than the red box. I'm mapping a lake that is 20 miles across by 15 miles wide. And i have to create four or five different times and update the zero lines card after every map because the red box will only let me go so big.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Offline sfw1960

• Bringer Of The 'Bird
    • http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/member.php?u=3330
  • Unit(s): H10MSI G2N-H10MDI G2N-H12SI-H12MSI G2N
  • Software: v1.840 x 3, v1.830
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS x2, I-Pilot Link, RC-1, RC-2
Re: Red box when creating map
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Send Camohunter a PM, Mike knows his way around A/C.
I think the short answer is no, but you probably can move your box and populate the bounding rectangle.
He knows for sure.

Offline Rfreese1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »
Did some more digging around. Found an explanation by camo hunter. I guess I'm doing it right. Just have to keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for the info.

Offline sfw1960

• Bringer Of The 'Bird
    • http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/member.php?u=3330
  • Unit(s): H10MSI G2N-H10MDI G2N-H12SI-H12MSI G2N
  • Software: v1.840 x 3, v1.830
  • Accessories: AS GPS HS x2, I-Pilot Link, RC-1, RC-2
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
 ;D
Cool.
I told you Mike knows his stuff!

Offline coy

• Unit(s): HELIX 5 SI GPS, HELIX 5 DI
  • Software: Default
  • Accessories: Default
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »
Did some more digging around. Found an explanation by camo hunter. I guess I'm doing it right. Just have to keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for posting.  I too am new to Autochart.  I have a few questions maybe you or Camo Hunter could answer.

1.)  When I create a 3-d map, it zooms to where my centerpoint is and only creates a 3-D image of a portion of the lake.  I would like a 3-D image of the entire lake.  Is there a way to do that?

2.)  This is about the red square.  I have multiple recordings, and they go outside of the red square.  How do I load all of my recordings and view them all at the same time.

3.)  Does the lake map automatically save to my ZeroLines card?  I have not loaded my card to my Helix yet, and I am just wondering if it automatically loads there or do I have to save it? 

Thanks! 

Offline Rfreese1

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »
If you follow camohunters autochart tutorial on how to make a map. It works perfectly. The thing with a bigger lake I think is you have to create a map than update the zero lines card. Move the red box over and re center create another map. Than update the zero lines card again and so on...

I made the red box as big as I could in the settings 7000mx7000m gets it s little bigger than the default setting but still not 400sq miles

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I too am new to Autochart.  I have a few questions maybe you or Camo Hunter could answer.

1.)  When I create a 3-d map, it zooms to where my centerpoint is and only creates a 3-D image of a portion of the lake.  I would like a 3-D image of the entire lake.  Is there a way to do that?

2.)  This is about the red square.  I have multiple recordings, and they go outside of the red square.  How do I load all of my recordings and view them all at the same time.

3.)  Does the lake map automatically save to my ZeroLines card?  I have not loaded my card to my Helix yet, and I am just wondering if it automatically loads there or do I have to save it? 

Thanks! 

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on here for a while. 

I'll try to answer your questions:
1.) You can't view the entire lake in 3-D in one shot.  I think it is too much demand for computer memory/processing to do the whole lake, so unfortunately, you're limited to viewing certain areas at a time.  You can save screenshots or views of those areas though, something you could page through later on.

2.) The 'Red Square' is basically just a limiting box for processing your data.  Without it, you would be processing your data for any and every lake that you've loaded into AutoChart, EVERY time you click 'Create Map'.  For instance, without the red box limiting the area that AutoChart processes every time I create a map, it would be processing the data from data I've collected in South Dakota, Canada, Minnesota, and Iowa every time, which would obviously box down the computer and likely freeze up every time.  So, it is a good thing, but does add some confusion until you get used to using it. 
As Rfreese1 mentioned, you can adjust the size of the red box, up to a maximum of 7000m x 7000m.  Depending on what you're doing, you may want a larger or smaller red box.  Obviously, the larger the red box, the longer it takes to process all the data for each step (1. Create Map, 2. Update Zerolines Card). 
So, if you want to map lakes larger than the red box, you'll have to do it in steps until you have it all.  For example, do one section of the lake, "Create Map", "Update ZeroLines Card", then move the red box to the next area and repeat.  Your background map will begin to grow, and after you've processed several sections, you should see the entire lake as your background map which should include all the areas you've processed and loaded to your zerolines card.  Feel free to ask me questions if you don't understand it.
3.)  No, it doesn't happen automatically.  After you click the 'Create Map' icon on the toolbar, you should see the contour lines that were generated from your data points.  If you're happy with the map, you'll then need to click the 'Update Lakemaster' icon on the toolbar, which sends/updates the background map on your ZeroLines SD card with the contours you just created.

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
If you follow camohunters autochart tutorial on how to make a map. It works perfectly. The thing with a bigger lake I think is you have to create a map than update the zero lines card. Move the red box over and re center create another map. Than update the zero lines card again and so on...

I made the red box as big as I could in the settings 7000mx7000m gets it s little bigger than the default setting but still not 400sq miles

For a very large lake, that is what you'll have to do, and just to confirm that you're doing it correctly.  Glad you're getting it figured out!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo