Author Topic: Crazy things with my 998si  (Read 4801 times)

Offline cdroke72

• Unit(s): 998c HD Si, 596c DI
Crazy things with my 998si
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »
Ok guy here goes. So I purchased a 16gb data card (class 10), put it in the unit and marked some brush piles with screen shot enabled. Removed the card to view on the computer (that is a whole different story) installed the card next time out and unit will not work with card installed. Greg has mentioned reformat card or get a different brand. Newest crazy thing going on....when I power up the 998 for the first time it will go black screen and have "pc connect" on the screen. Power it off and then back on and it works normal. I'm not a tech guru when it comes to computers so that everyone knows. Lol! What do you guys think, software issue caused by SD card? What do you suggest to fix the problem? My home computer does not have a slot for an SD card, do you use an adapter that will hold the SD card and plug into the usb port? Unit is a 2013 unit that I purchased new, is there a software upgrade available that needs to be performed? Love the imagery but not crazy about all the tech bugs I seem to have with this unit. Please advise in terms the old country boy can understand. Lol! Almost forgot, getting a low voltage indication on the screen too. Have the alarm set at like 10.0v but this comes on showing like 11.9v. All my wiring is heavy guage and newly installed with good connections and my charging system is putting out 13.8 (checked with meter) when this happens??
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:32:07 PM by cdroke72 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Crazy things with my 998si
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11:09 PM »
cdroke72,
What brand and size memory card are you using?

Try performing a full format (not a “quick format” on the SD card and try it again.

I use an MMC/SD/SDHC memory card reader on all of my PCs when using a memory card.  Sometimes you get one of these when you purchase a memory card.  Just be sure that it matches the memory card you are using – most will work with the SDHC memory cards (2GB capacity and larger) but there may still be some older memory card readers out there that only work with the smaller capacity (1GB and less) SD type memory cards.

Software upgrades are optional – unless you need one so the unit will work with a specific accessory.  Let’s get the issues you are having solved first before you update the software.

If your charging system is putting out 13.8 VDC and the unit is only showing 11.9VDC, than you have something causing a voltage drop or a current restriction somewhere.  When all electrical connections to see if they are tight and corrosion free.  Don’t forget the fuse, fuse holder and battery connections here.  Low power conditions can make these units do some funny things…
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline cdroke72

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
Greg, when the unit shows 11.9 I have 13.8 on the buss bar it is wired to. I have a dedicated 10ga wire ran from battery to buss bar under console with a newly installed fuse panel. All connections are new and soldiered not butt spliced so I really don't think I have a problem there. I was running my 596c on the same fuses and had no issues with it. I really think the voltage reading is something with the unit itself but I could be wrong (that seems to happen a lot)! I work on aircraft electronics for a living and I'm a little OCD when it comes to fixing and wiring things. I will have to research what you mean by formatting the SD card. Hate to sound stupid just not a tech guy. Lol! I will post when I get home what brand and size card I have.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
Kudos cdroke72 on the OCD on wiring things.  Guess I’m OCD there as well.  I just hate to have to go back and do something right a second time and after all; a boat is a terrible place for an electrical connection what with all the vibration, shock and moisture.  Something is causing a power loss though.  If you have 13.8VDC on the buss bar you should have nearly the same on the unit.  The 998 will pull more current than the 596c but I don’t know if it is enough to make up for that difference.  You did install the 998’s power cable didn’t you?  It has a heavier wire gauge than is used in the 596’s power cable.
You may have to borrow another large unit like an 800 series, another 900 series or even an 1100 series to check that with as it could be a problem within the unit itself.

Offline cdroke72

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:36:22 PM »
Greg, I did use the 998 power cord and I just remembered that last weekend I did not have the voltage issue. It comes and goes, who knows. I will double check all my connections and soldier joints...could have a cold soldier joint possibly. I did some research and figured out (I think) how to format the SD card. Not sure when I will be on the water next but I will keep you updated. I will also double check the buss bar voltage next time is acts up. I do have access to another 998, I will try it and see what happens. Thanks so much for all your help!!! It's tough on us technologically challenged guys! Lol!!

Offline cdroke72

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
Greg,
I believe I accomplished the format on the SD card. The screen captures were on there from the first time I used the unit with the card installed. Does it matter which slot the SD card is inserted in? Any idea on the "pc connect black screen" when the unit is turned on for the first time? It goes away after powering off and back on.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
Sorry cdroke72, I meant to post how to format an SD card using the HumminbirdPC program.

It does not matter which slot the memory card is installed in.

Does the unit show the PC Connect black screen when the SD card is not in the unit?
It may also have something to do with the voltage getting to the unit but that’s just a guess.

Offline cdroke72

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »
Yes it shows pc connect without the card in the unit. Never did this until I used an SD card in the unit for the first time. I have also noticed the unit kind of having the screen freeze up on occasion too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo