Author Topic: Multiple 898 Issues  (Read 8451 times)

Offline phil_wvu

• Unit(s): 898c
Multiple 898 Issues
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
Evening all,

About a month ago, I noticed that while running, my depth would stop reading and just display 1.6 feet. I have gone through and checked all my connections and that the through hull transducer was still firmly in tact. All seems fine. I called Humminbird and they suggested that I reset defaults and do the system update. Now that I have done that, not only to I read 1.6 feet while running, I have started losing my GPS Speed reading as well. One additional thing that I thought was status quo and is apparently not, even when I was getting an accurate depth while running, I was only getting a black screen, no bottom contour. I assumed that this was how it was supposed to be until a read about others that actually get the display. I am looking for any feedback or help to resolve this issue. Unit is the 898C and is on an 05 Z21 Ranger. Thanks very much!

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
Re: Multiple 898 Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »
If you have a "Y" cable anywhere....that could be your problem  I had the same thing happen and found out it was a "Y" cable that was bad.  Just a thought for you.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
phil,
So your 2D sonar is okay while the boat is drifting or when moving slowly?
If this is true than it sounds like you may not have ever had a good transducer installation if you have never gotten a display while at high-speeds.
Is this an inside-the-hull (epoxied inside of the hull) or an actual Thru-Hull transducer (mounts under the hull through a hole in the hull)?
If an inside-the-hull transducer: was the mounting location tested on the water before it was epoxied in place?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline phil_wvu

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
hi Greg. the transducer is inside the hull. It was not lake tested prior to mounting, my dad has done several of these and I just took his installation suggestion and ran with it. As far as I know, it has always been accurate at low speeds. While i have never had a bottom picture while running at high speeds, all of the other symptoms are new.

Offline phil_wvu

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
If you have a "Y" cable anywhere....that could be your problem  I had the same thing happen and found out it was a "Y" cable that was bad.  Just a thought for you.
thank you very much for the suggestion

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
phil,
The “never had a bottom picture while running at high speeds” is usually the transducer installation.  It must be getting air bubbles under it in that location.  Your only way of fixing this would be to remove and re-install a transducer after testing to find the right location that will work at high boat speeds.

This may also fix your 1.6 foot depth readings while running as well.  I would remove the existing transducer and, after cleaning any epoxy off of it, hold it over the side of the boat in deep water and test it to see that it is reading the bottom correctly.  If it is, chances are that you can just re-install the same transducer.  If not, buy a new XP-9-20 transducer.  Just test the mounting location prior to installing the transducer this time.

The GPS Speed reading disappearing means that the unit is no longer receiving data from the GPS Receiver.  Check to make sure that the GPS Receiver is still unblocked.  There is a second shorter wire that comes out of the cable connector.  This is the NMEA ‘pigtail’ wire and it has a black plastic cap on the end of it.  Remove the plastic cap and make sure that the three wires inside of it are not making an electrical connection.  Don’t forget to replace the plastic cap.

There is one thing that can cause both of these issues and that is a low power condition.  Make sure that all electrical connections starting from the power cable of the unit and all the way back to the battery it is connected to have solid connections (not loose or corroded).  Be sure to check the fuse, fuse holder and battery connections too.  It is best if you are using 16 gauge (or larger) wires for this that are only connected to your 898 unit.  All connections should be soldered and sealed for best results.  Have your battery load tested to make sure it is ‘up to snuff’.

Offline phil_wvu

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
phil,
The “never had a bottom picture while running at high speeds” is usually the transducer installation.  It must be getting air bubbles under it in that location.  Your only way of fixing this would be to remove and re-install a transducer after testing to find the right location that will work at high boat speeds.

This may also fix your 1.6 foot depth readings while running as well.  I would remove the existing transducer and, after cleaning any epoxy off of it, hold it over the side of the boat in deep water and test it to see that it is reading the bottom correctly.  If it is, chances are that you can just re-install the same transducer.  If not, buy a new XP-9-20 transducer.  Just test the mounting location prior to installing the transducer this time.

The GPS Speed reading disappearing means that the unit is no longer receiving data from the GPS Receiver.  Check to make sure that the GPS Receiver is still unblocked.  There is a second shorter wire that comes out of the cable connector.  This is the NMEA ‘pigtail’ wire and it has a black plastic cap on the end of it.  Remove the plastic cap and make sure that the three wires inside of it are not making an electrical connection.  Don’t forget to replace the plastic cap.

There is one thing that can cause both of these issues and that is a low power condition.  Make sure that all electrical connections starting from the power cable of the unit and all the way back to the battery it is connected to have solid connections (not loose or corroded).  Be sure to check the fuse, fuse holder and battery connections too.  It is best if you are using 16 gauge (or larger) wires for this that are only connected to your 898 unit.  All connections should be soldered and sealed for best results.  Have your battery load tested to make sure it is ‘up to snuff’.

Hey Greg,
I went all through the boat and the connections looked good. Went to the lake today and had a new issues pop up. Today I was getting a message that GPS was not connected. Several times when I would start the boat after fishing for a while, the screen would blink a bit and it would shut down. I am going to assume I have some kind of major wiring issue and I guess I will have to tear everything apart and start from scratch. I checked the power issue mentioned above and it was reading 11.3 volts. I do appreciate all the help, guess it is back to the drawing board for me. Might just try to save up some money and actually pay someone to install it to be sure it is correct.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
Just get some marine grade 16 gauge (or better yet – 14 gauge) multi-stranded copper wire and a new 3 amp fuse and fuse holder plus battery lugs to match your battery connections and do it yourself.  Solder and seal all connections.  I like the blade type fuse holders much better than the cylindrical type fuses.

Offline phil_wvu

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »
Hi Greg. I took my boat by my local dealer today and we looked it over together really well. Everything was testing fine, but we did find that the wires on the pig tail may have been touching so we made sure we corrected that. Seemed fine when I left, but I stopped by the lake to see if it made a difference. I am still having the same issues. I ran the self test while I was out there and it was showing that it passed, but it was reading 0.0 volts. I am starting to think it is in the unit itself. I am attaching a couple of pictures for you to see.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
0.0 volts.  Now that’s pretty strange.  Never heard of that before.  You may be right in that the problem is internal in the unit.  Give the Humminbird Customer Resource folks a call and set it all up to get your unit in to be looked at by one of our Techs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo