Author Topic: How to Restore Your Unit using the Bootstrap Mode  (Read 37261 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
How to Restore Your Unit using the Bootstrap Mode
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
I am interested in understanding what problems "charilaos1" had and the actual process to unlock his unit.  It may help others.
George

Hm, let's see

Haris (charilaos1) followed the instructions given in the linked YouTube video and his unit locked up in loading mode. I don't know why it locked up. After he read my post he contacted me and got his unit restarted via HumminbirdPC and the ASPC2 connection cable and the USB/Serial adapter.

My unit (981CX) locked up twice in the past.
First time I updated without restoring to factory defaults and I had to send the unit back for a replacement.
Second time I restored to factory default, but started it up with the SD card in.
That time I got it restarted by using the ASPC2 cable with the USB/Serial adapter and HumminbirdPC.

If you ask me how I did it, I have to go from memory, 'cause I have nothing written down. I'll try to do it like you did the download manual for Humviewer (excellent Job George BTW).
For sure I will not bomb my unit back in lock up and try to restart it.

SINCE I HAVE TO WRITE THIS FROM MEMORY AND I’M NOT TRAINED OR EMPLOYED BY HUMMINBIRD, IF YOU WANT TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, YOU’LL DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK!

It worked out as I did it, but I cannot guarantee that it will work with other PCs and Windows versions. I run Windows XP (SP3) on my laptop.

So here are the symptoms:

If your unit is locked up, you'll see the loading screen for light-years. You cannot turn off the unit nor can you get into any menu or what so ever. The only way to shut it down is to pull the plug and disconnect the unit from its power source. If you try to restart it after you shut it down by unplugging, the unit will restart, but will not proceed through the loading sequence.

OK, here's what to do then:

1. Register your unit at Humminbird's website:

http://www.humminbird.com/support/ProductRegistration.aspx

2. Download HumminbirdPC and install it on your PC

3. Download the update file and store it on your PC in a place where you can find it later.

4. Connect the unit to your PC using the ASPC2 cable (and the USB/ Serial adapter if you don't have a serial port at your PC). You have to use the NMEA com port on the rear side of your unit.

5. Start HumminbirdPC on your PC.

6. Start your unit BY HOLDING THE VIEW BUTTON when pressing the start button.

This will bring up the "bootstrap" mode (black background with green writing, don't know why it's called "bootstrap").

Go down to #9 "program" by using the 4 way cursor control button of your unit and FIRMLY press the view button of your unit. This should initiate the program sequence of the unit.

7. Once the unit is recognized, go to the "File" tab in the upper left corner of the HumminbirdPC screen and click on it. A dropdown menu will show up.

8. Choose UPDATE (not upload!!) in the dropdown menu (underneath the GOOGL EARTH icon). Your unit's name will show up as soon as you get your cursor on the update icon.

9. Click on your unit's name shown.

10. A pop up window will show up "Humminbird Software Update Wizard"

11. Click on "Next" to continue

12. A browser window will show up. Click on "Browse" and choose the update file. Here you need to know where the update file is stored.

13. Double click on the update file

14. The Update Wizard will show up again, click on "Next" and the new update will be loaded to your unit. A progress bar on your unit's screen and in the Update Wizzard window shows how far the sequence is through.

DO NOT INTERUPT THE UPDATE PROCESS OR TURN OFF THE UNIT DURING THE UPLOAD SEQUENCE!!

15. After the sequence is finished the unit will automatically be restarted.
Its screen shows "PC Connection" (grey/white background).

16. Click on "Finish" in the Update Wizard window.

17. Double click on your unit's icon. Now you can see what firmware is on your unit, what is stored in the memory and you can also personalize the Start Up Screen.

18. Turn your unit off and disconnect it from your PC/laptop.

Now everything should be fine again and you can start up the unit like normal, check if your persolized start up screen looks cool enough for your boat, set your favorite readouts and so on.

Hope this helps and will not be needed. If it didn't work, I'm afraid that you have to send back the unit to Humminbird or your dealer for repair. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this wont be the case.

Regards and good luck/ Harry
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:08:17 AM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: How to Restore Your Unit Using the Bootstrap Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »
Harry

Thanks, I have made a copy of this and stored it on my computer (Just in case),

George

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »
No problem George.
I tried last night to attache pictures / screen shots, but screwed it up, because the pics files were too big.
I'll modify later

Harry
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:45:49 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
Robert...would it be possible for you to sticky George's post somewhere to be easily found...??

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
You mean Jolly Rogers post?  I have already talked with him about doing a tutorial and putting it in the Article section.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
Robert

I did the tutoriaL and put it in Humviewer, can you move it where it should be?  Also, feel free to modify it anyway to make it clearer or if you have some suggested improvements let me know.  When it comes to help people nothing is sacred.

George

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
You mean Jolly Rogers post?  I have already talked with him about doing a tutorial and putting it in the Article section.

Robert

OOPs...sorry Jolly Roger... :o :o..there is so many of you guys out there that have some really good stuff to share......

I just want to be able to find it when I need it...

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:52:09 PM »
rnvinc

One of the things I started doing is highlighting and copying the information I want to keep.  You are right when you find something useful you may not be able to find it later when you need it.  So copy these and put them in a special folder.

George

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Harold (Jolly Roger) is working on a tutorial with pictures.  Once this is done, it will be moved to the Aticles and Tutorials forum.

There is a lot of usefull data and its not easy to just sticky everything unless it is very important.  I think we need to recommend post for the FAQ section and Articles and Tutorials.

Another issue is alot meaningless post in a specific topic.  Its hard to find the good info amonst the clutter.

George and Jolly Rogers post will be stickied!

Thanks,

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline charilaos1

• Unit(s): 997csi
  • Software: 6-300
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »
I will try to explain with my poor English. 
This how i unlock my unit.(997c)ila_rendered
I connect the unit to my laptop using AS-PC cable and the power supply from my boat.(12v battery)
I start the HumminbirdPC 2.5.8 on my laptop.
I choose (update unit software w/PC connect cable) 
This is the bootstrap mode on my screen wen i power on the unit end holding the view button.
i select PROGRAM end then i see my unit on HumminbirdPC 
Before to press the view button to start programing the unit you mast have the  new software ready for programing.
I press the view button on my unit  end on the screen  i see PROGRAMING.
Then on HumminbirdPC i choose (program fishing system)
The progress bar on my unit screen start and all process finished and the unit restarted. 
I power off my unit and disconnect it from my laptop.
In my case it works better with the older version of HumminbirdPC 2.5.8.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 08:01:30 AM »
Good job Haris,
it's basically the same what I did.
I'm still working on the tutorial, but it's a pita to get the screenshots in the right size. I already tried twice, but couldn't upload the post because the pics files were too big. Gonna use a different picture edit program to save the screenshots.

Regards / Harry

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:06:53 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline keizerh

• Unit(s): none
  • Accessories: ASHH and VC cable
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
Bootstrap

Tall boots may have a tab, loop or handle at the top known as a bootstrap, allowing one to use fingers or a tool to provide better leverage in pulling the boots on. The saying "to pull yourself up by your bootstraps"[2] was already in use during the 1800s as an example of an impossible task. Bootstrap as a metaphor, meaning to better oneself by one's own unaided efforts, was in use in 1922.[3] This metaphor spawned additional metaphors for a series of self-sustaining processes that proceed without external help.[4]

The computer term bootstrap began as a metaphor in the 1950s. In computers, pressing a bootstrap button caused a hardwired program to read a bootstrap program from an input unit and then execute the bootstrap program which read more program instructions and became a self-sustaining process that proceeded without external help from manually entered instructions. As a computing term, bootstrap has been used since at least 1958.[5]
The bootstrap concept was used in the IBM 701 computer (1952-1956) which had a "load button" which initiated reading of the first 36-bit word from a punched card in a card reader, or from a magnetic tape unit, or drum unit (predecessor of the hard disk drive). The left 18-bit half-word was then executed as an instruction which read additional words into memory.[6]
The term was also championed by Doug Engelbart, to refer to his belief that organizations could better evolve by improving the process they use for improvement (thus obtaining a compounding effect over time). His SRI team that developed the NLS hypertext system applied this strategy by using the tool they'd developed to improve the tool. The development of compilers for new programming languages first developed in an existing language but then rewritten in the new language and compiled by itself, is another example of the bootstrapping notion.

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:00:14 PM »
Thanks for enlighten me and the rest who didn't know about the origin of "bootstrap" Hendrik.

I added some pictures with Bob's help and rewrote the text. Let me know what you think about it.

Regards / Harry
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:01:29 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline mfbab

• Unit(s): 997c
  • Software: 5.320
Re: How to Restore Your Unit using the Bootstrap Mode
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
Hi,

This thread sounds like exactly the same situation I am currently having with my 997c, it locked up while updating on the same screen as described.  I can access the Bootstrap Menu by holding view and power simultaneously, soooo...

I have a question regarding the bootstrap process:  Can I follow this process, but instead of going through my computer and HB PC, can I use the SD card with my software update on it and reprogram from there?

Basically, I would follow the instructions as given and go to option #9 on the Bootstrap list, and presumably it would read the SD card and take over from there...is this assumption correct?

I don't have the ASPC2 cable but I can order one if that is the only way it will work, just hoping maybe someone has tried it the way I'm describing. 

Thanks for providing this info!! Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Rob

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Sometimes using the SD memory card will work with the bootstrap programming mode Rob.  No hurt in trying it.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline mfbab

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Sometimes using the SD memory card will work with the bootstrap programming mode Rob.  No hurt in trying it.

Thanks Greg.  I just gave it a shot and it did not work with the SD card.  My main concern was whether I could do further damage and it doesn't appear that anything is changed, so that in itself is a small victory.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

I've got a cable ordered and hopefully I can do it through HB PC when that arrives.  Thanks for your help and also thanks again to the forum and Matt at HB Tech Support who also sent me a nice tutorial on this. 

I've had many Sonar and GPS units over the years and I can say from experience that HB is tops in customer service based on my experiences.  I have done many software updates to this 997c purchased in 2007, including adding DI at no cost which was truly amazing to me, and it has kept on ticking until this most recent update install, v6.3.  It isn't going unnoticed and you will always have my business if you continue to support your products in this manner!!  (and I do own 2 of these units currently)  It amazes me that the "other brand", who came to the SI party about 3-4 years late, has already obsoleted their first 2 models when you juxtapose that against HB adding top end features at no cost to older units like mine!!  I only wish my units supported the 360 add on, but my wife might disagree :)

I will post up results and also the instructions I received from Matt to further supplement this thread after I have reprogrammed...assuming things go as planned.

Also, an FYI - HB told me they would reprogram the unit for $61 which is a very fair price IMO, that is roughly what I will have in the cable anyway, but I will get it completed a little faster doing it myself and I'll own it in case I ever need it again.

Rob

Offline mfbab

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Worked like a charm for me with the ASPC3 cable (the USB type).  Thanks for the info. 
Rob

Offline sorin tot

• Unit(s): Humminbird 598ci HD
  • Software: latest
  • Accessories: no
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »
When everything seemed lost and every conversation with local (Germany, Austria, Romania) Humminbird representatives ended with "send your unit to USA and pay 250 $"...I found this tutorial.

I restored my unit using AS PC 3 cable and Humminbird PC in 5 minutes.

The fact that more than a dozen EU and US Humminbird employees had no idea how to help me solve this simple problem is outrageous!

Thank you very much for this tutorial !!!

Sorin Tot

self proclamed European Humminbird Guru

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 12:23:58 AM »
When everything seemed lost and every conversation with local (Germany, Austria, Romania) Humminbird representatives ended with "send your unit to USA and pay 250 $"...I found this tutorial.

I restored my unit using AS PC 3 cable and Humminbird PC in 5 minutes.

The fact that more than a dozen EU and US Humminbird employees had no idea how to help me solve this simple problem is outrageous!

Thank you very much for this tutorial !!!

Sorin Tot

self proclamed European Humminbird Guru

Unfortunately the boot strap method no longer works with units manufactured after xx8 series units ...

HB changed the operating system ... Which no longer works with the boot strap method ...

I would guess most of the CRC people are newer and don't even know about the bootstrap method that was available back in the day ...

Rickie

Offline clovisgtl

• Unit(s): 598 CI HD SI
  • Software: 5.840
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
I will try to explain with my poor English. 
This how i unlock my unit.(997c) (Attachment Link)
I connect the unit to my laptop using AS-PC cable and the power supply from my boat.(12v battery)
I start the HumminbirdPC 2.5.8 on my laptop.
I choose (update unit software w/PC connect cable) 
This is the bootstrap mode on my screen wen i power on the unit end holding the view button.
i select PROGRAM end then i see my unit on HumminbirdPC 
Before to press the view button to start programing the unit you mast have the  new software ready for programing.
I press the view button on my unit  end on the screen  i see PROGRAMING.
Then on HumminbirdPC i choose (program fishing system)
The progress bar on my unit screen start and all process finished and the unit restarted. 
I power off my unit and disconnect it from my laptop.
In my case it works better with the older version of HumminbirdPC 2.5.8.

I've tried doing so in several times.
but the result was the error message: failure

What else can I try?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »

I've tried doing so in several times.
but the result was the error message: failure

What else can I try?

I don't know that there is anything else except sending the unit to HB  ...

1-800-633-1468

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo