Author Topic: Will this layout work?  (Read 12181 times)

Offline geemul

• Unit(s): 2 x 798cXi SI
  • Software: 7.120
  • Accessories: Ethernet Switch, Minnkota iPilot Link
Will this layout work?
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:20:30 AM »
Hello fellow Humminbird users,

I've a first time question for you.

Here's a picture I drew of two side imaging Humminbird's, a shared GPS receiver, an Interlink module and a Weather Sense module.

I want the fast GPS update on both units, the ability to share waypoints on both units and the ability to see the weather data (I know the Weather Sense module is only barometric pressure) on each unit.

If I join them up as per the drawing will the system work?

Thanks for the great website, I've learnt a heap since joining this week!

Geoff

Offline geemul

Re: Will this layout work?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
Anyone?

Offline raricker

• Unit(s): 797c, 998c
  • Software: 5.450, 6.490
  • Accessories: weathersense, aux speed,GRHA
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »
Hi,
do a "search" (box in upper right corner of screen)  for "syslink" or "interlink" on this website and read for yourself. The information is readily available.

Take care,
Roger

Offline geemul

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:19:59 AM »

Thanks mate, search idea didn't cover my exact scenario before I posted and it still doesn't after I posted.

The answers in search tell me all about seperate GPS receivers or about a single GPS receiver through the Interlink.

Geoff

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
Geoff, Send a PM to Humminbird_Greg.  he is listed on the front page under the staff.
Reference your post so he can see the picture.  He may have the answer.

Chuck

Offline geemul

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
Geoff, Send a PM to Humminbird_Greg.  he is listed on the front page under the staff.
Reference your post so he can see the picture.  He may have the answer.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,
I'll get in touch with Greg.

Geoff

Offline RzorbackAngler

• Unit(s): 788 CI, 898c SI
  • Software: 5.4, 5.5
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
I do not believe that you will get a fast update to both units from a shared GPS antenna.  You can check the BBC forum for HB.  This forum has a layout of the different set-ups.  Hopefully Greg will supply the proper answer.  I have a 788 ci  on the bow and a 898 si at the console.  Each has a different antenna to get a fast update.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:55 AM »
Greg has not been on the forum for a few days.  I have forwarded the topic on to him.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline geemul

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »

Thanks Robert, you're a good bloke!

Geoff

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:03:52 AM »
Greg has not been on the forum for a few days.  I have forwarded the topic on to him.

Robert

...and so he did.
Sorry Geoff and everyone but my normal job duties have been overwhelming me such that I have not had time to post on the boards (and little time to answer personal e-mail!).  Hopefully I’ll get through all of this in about another 30 days or so…  :'(

Geoff you will need to add a few AS-YC cables to your set-up.  The diagram below should get you to understand how everything is connected.  With this set-up you will have the faster GPS refresh rate and be able to share GPS data between units as well as the WeatherSense data as long as the unit it is directly connected to (through the AS-YC cable) is powered on.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline geemul

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:34 AM »

Thanks Greg,
Your help is much appreciated.

Geoff

Offline jbrady2852

• Unit(s): 999ci HDSI, 788ci DI
  • Software: 7.020
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »
...and so he did.
Sorry Geoff and everyone but my normal job duties have been overwhelming me such that I have not had time to post on the boards (and little time to answer personal e-mail!).  Hopefully I’ll get through all of this in about another 30 days or so…  :'(

Geoff you will need to add a few AS-YC cables to your set-up.  The diagram below should get you to understand how everything is connected.  With this set-up you will have the faster GPS refresh rate and be able to share GPS data between units as well as the WeatherSense data as long as the unit it is directly connected to (through the AS-YC cable) is powered on.

I know this is an old thread but how do you connect the AS-Syslink cable to the GPS cable.  You have a single connector and a nmea cable.  My current setup is a HS GPS to Y-Cable to my current unit which is a 788 DI unit.  I will be installing a 999 SI unit and want to share the external GPS mounted on the transom gunnel.  I have an extra Y cable for my new control unit.  How do I connect it to the GPS?  My plan was to run nav on my 788 DI w/sonor off and use sonor on 999 SI.  Can I connect the Y cables via the AS-Syslink cable?  It seem to me in order to use the GPS my main unit 788 DI would have to be on.  What is the correct way to share the GPS and what additional parts do I need?  Reading the posts I am think something like this.  Am I thinking correctly?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:30:42 PM by jbrady2852 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
That would be the easiest way to do it jbrady.  That way either unit can use the GPS Receiver without the other the other having to be powered on.  Also, both units can use the GPS Receiver at the same time.

However, if you are always going to use the 788ci HD DI unit for navigation and you will always have navigation running, you could use an Ethernet connection between the two units and share the GPS-HS Receiver from the 788ci HD DI unit to the 999ci HD Si unit.

Offline jbrady2852

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
So I have it straight.  To share the GPS data (waypoints) via ethernet.  This is when you would put an interlink into the mix and use the Y cables.  So would it be better to keep the Y cables in place and connect the syslink to one end and then added the interlink down the road and loop it using the second connection of the Y cable. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 10:17:26 AM »
jbrady,
The 788ci HD DI and 999ci HD Si model units both should have an Ethernet connection on them.  Ethernet is superior to the InterLink accessory and your 999ci HD Si model unit does not work with the InterLink accessory.  If you want to connect both units together to share waypoints; your only choice is an Ethernet connection.  You would still use the AS-SysLink cable to connect the GPS-HS Receiver to both units.  The Ethernet connection is separate and would require two of the AS-EC-QDE Ethernet Adapter Cables plus one of the Ethernet Connection Cables (AS-EC-XXE) of the appropriate length.

Offline jbrady2852

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »
jbrady,
The 788ci HD DI and 999ci HD Si model units both should have an Ethernet connection on them.  Ethernet is superior to the InterLink accessory and your 999ci HD Si model unit does not work with the InterLink accessory.  If you want to connect both units together to share waypoints; your only choice is an Ethernet connection.  You would still use the AS-SysLink cable to connect the GPS-HS Receiver to both units.  The Ethernet connection is separate and would require two of the AS-EC-QDE Ethernet Adapter Cables plus one of the Ethernet Connection Cables (AS-EC-XXE) of the appropriate length.

How would the additional cables be connected and I assume the AS-EC cable would plug into the accessory port on the 788 CI DI unit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:10:23 AM by jbrady2852 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
It is simple, I don’t have a drawing of it.  Both the 788ci HD DI and 999ci HD Si units have a Ethernet connector on them.  The AS-EC-QDE plugs into the Ethernet connector on both units and both are plugged into the AS-EC-XXE cable.

The AS-EC-XXE cable comes in 2, 10, 15, 20 and 30-foot lengths.  The length of the cable replaces the “XX” in the part number, so a 20-foot Ethernet Extension cable is an AS-EC-20E.

Offline geemul

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 11:28:10 PM »
jbrady,

I'd have to agree 100% with Greg on this one!

I never did follow through with the original post, I waited for the Ethernet connectivity to arrive, vastly superior to Interlink and totally seamless sharing of waypoints and transducers etc.

I also have the iPilot Link Minnkota with the 5 port Ethernet switch, everything just plain works as advertised.

In the end I didn't bother with the weather sense unit, I figured I could live without it!

Geoff

Offline jbrady2852

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
That my plan.  All parts are in hand and ready for install.  Going to syslink the GPS between the units and run a new PC11 cable for the 788 DI since I have been seeing interference when running the trolling motor.  Then start the install of the 999 SI with the SI transducer on the transom and the quad Beam in the bilge.  Based on what I have read a day on the water to test placements of the SI and quad beam before final mounting and I should be good to go unless issue popup.  I figure it is about a days worth of work if all goes well.

Thanks all for the help and info.  I will post pictures when everything is up and running.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo