Software and Software Development > SonarTRX

QGIS - A free program for creating maps with SonarTRX images

(1/2) > >>

SonarTRX:
SonarTRX produce image-tiles along track, or (merged) "Master Images" based on a collection of image-tiles. To create maps of larger areas, a tool to pull together multiple images, layer them in the right sequence, use background maps and vector layers is often needed. Many SonarTRX uses have access to commercial GIS / mapping products (ESRI, Manifold GIS, Global Mapper, etc.), but others might be interested in an open-source or free alternative. Here is one alternative:

QGIS (Quantum GIS):  http://qgis.org

QGIS has easy to use mapping tools and has variety of free plugins that will enhance its capabilities, including raster merge tools, contouring etc. It can also generate raster pyramids (Files containing multiple resolutions for improved performance: *.ovr files) Plugins also exist for connecting to a variety of image-servers (for background maps etc. QGIS can also be used with a GPS to display SonarTRX and other custom map-content as backdrop. It also has a "Print Composer" so the maps can be output to a variety of file-formats for presentations and sharing etc.

The following workflow can be used to build a sidescan map of a larger area, using SonarTRX & QGIS:

1. Use SonarTRX to generate MasterImages from logical sections ("clips") of your Humminbird sonar-recording. If the sonar recording has overlapping regions or parallel runs, these can be written to separate MasterImages, so the layering can be controlled by QGIS.

2. Add each MasterImage to QGIS as a layer. Drag the layers into the desired sequence. Configure layer transparency by defining the "4'th band" as the transparency channel: The SonarTRX PNG images are in the RGBA format, and the "alpha" channel is the 4'th channel.

3. Add any other content, such as background maps, vector layers, labels etc.

4. Use the Print Composer to create presentation-style output for use in reports and publications.

5. Optionally merge multiple raster images by using the GDAL plugin, or generate raster pyramids for improved performance.

Tore

tore@sonartrx.com

http://www.sonartrx.com

fast talker:
This is so discouraging to someone like me. I don't begin to understand any of the terms or names used in this explaination of usage. It appears that one needs to be a computer programmer to use these units and programs.
Isn't there any way for the layman to be able to tell the unit what I want done and have the unit display that without all the dedicated computer lingo? I will be reading and rereading the manuals that come with my units; hope I can understand enough to operate them.
Ted

sonar2000:
FT, indeed these fishfinders have become computers. But that does not take away from the basic use of them.
The fishfinder will do your everyday "stuff' and has improved over the years.

As with any product other vendors find a way to interface with the data and offer programs that will enhance the basic unit.

If this is not where you want to go then stay with the basic unit and use it as it is. There is nothing wrong with being basic and off the shelf for usage. You will be fine. Learn to use the unit as you want it to do.

The forum here has every one from novice to highly experienced guys (and girls) and the more creative do push the envelope.

Sticks with what works for you...

Chuck

ITGEEK:
You're not the only one discouraged Ted.
When Tore and Rickard post up something,
half the time, I don't know what they are
talking about, and I am a computer programmer. :-\
Those two could build their own sonar machines
and put Humminbird out of business. :)
They probably both work for NASA.

You don't have to know all that stuff.
Just use your unit, get experience with it, look through
your manual, do some Web searches, look at some
youtube videos of other people using their units.
Then, eventually do some recordings, then download
the Humviewer software to your PC to look at the recordings.
Take it slow.  The more you use your
unit, the more you will learn.
Ask as many questions as you like here.

Lots of people on this forum are willing
to help you.  We are all friends here.
There are no dumb questions.

newkid4si:
Ted
   Do not become discouraged by Tore's post. It is way over my head also. But that's OK.
   There are members here with all level of skills and needs.
   Chuck and ITG raise excellent points in that just because it's available doesn't mean you have to use it.
   I probably only use 50% of the capability of my unit. That meets my needs.
   The one program that has helped me the most is Humviewer.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version