Side Imaging Forums > 987c SI and 981c SI

Connecting 981 to PC

(1/3) > >>

fivealive:
Hello everyone,
I just bought a used 981c SI. It came with a PC connection kit (old 9-pin RS232 cable) without any CD-ROM (should it have one?).
What do you suggest me to do take the maximum advantage aout of it? I heard I could download a newer software version and even a Down Imaging version.
So, first started by ordering a RS232 to USB adaptor cable, because my laptop (which runs on Windows 7) doesn't have that kind of 9-pin receptacle.  What do I have to do then?
Basically I just would like to be sure that my unit has the best software available, then I would like to occasionally connect my Unit to the PC to download GPS routes, points, and so on...
Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject, hope someone could help me.
THANKS, again :)
Last question: will the Down Imaging upgrade exclude the Side Imaging?

Humminbird_Greg:
Your 981 has an SD card slot which can be used to update software and load/export Nav Data (waypoints, routes and tracks) to/from your unit without the need for the cable.

You may have to load some software or drivers for the RS232 to USB adapter, but all that should come with the adapter.  You will need to install the HumminbirdPC program to be able to communicate between your PC and the unit.  This is a free download when you register your unit on the Humminbird web site (even though it is used).

fivealive:
ok, I got it, thanks a lot for your help.
So, i registered my product (fortunately the previous owner hadn't registered it yet :) ) and I noticed that the leatest version available is v4.950 (July 2010). The descriptios says: "Improved shallow water performance".  Then , I noticed that in the download section of this forum there is also version v4.750 (January 2010). Description:  "Adds Down Imaging. Adds GPS improvements. Adds new 2D sonar color palettes. Adds New SI sonar color palettes. Improves trolling motor noise rejection. Fixes Track offset issue. Changes Depth Alarm Setting to be maintained in memory upon Power Off. Automatically restores defaults when reprogramming unit. Adds additional AIS message support. Fixes Disabled GPS output. Fixes Snapshots not displaying in POS mode. Fixes Navionics library drawing when no map is available. Fixes various cosmetic and minor operational defects."
SO, I know it's a very stupid question, but does version 4.950 includes all these improvements? What do you suggest me to do, going straight to the 4.950 or trying 4.750 first?
thanks a lot for your help and excuse me if some question might sound kinda stupid.

Humminbird_Greg:
Your questions do not sound stupid to me fivealive.

The software version you load will contain all of the changes in any previous software version for that unit as well.  So loading the 4.950 software will also include all of the 4.750 software changes too.

I would just load the 4.950 software.

fivealive:
ok, I'll go with the 4.950 then.
thankkkkk youuuu soooo muccchhhhh  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version