Author Topic: Sometimes I really wonder  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Sometimes I really wonder
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »
Hi all,
sometimes I really wonder how some things are getting into the lake. Sometimes I'm really surprised what I find when I'm checking out the contacts I have on my HBird.

Like this here. In May I was doodling around with my brandnew toy, when I had this on my display:

ila_rendered

I wondered what this may be, because it always showed up on different occasions. So three days ago curiosity won and I got my dive gear strapped on, to go and see what this is. After I located it on the ground, I just couldn't believe it:

ila_rendered

What the heck is this  :(??

First I thought that this is some sort of "ice ladder" used for ice rescue during winter, but then I realized that the pushbar for pushing it over the ice was missing. Turning it upside down under water to see if the handle is buried underneath made me even more wonder when I saw what was attached instead of the pushbar:

ila_rendered

A roofer's gangway????
How on earth would something like this wander into the lake? A roofer would propably not get his gear half a mile out to the middle of the lake. And for sure there was no roof to be laid in 20 metres of water. Or maybe.......?

Anyways, since it was made of aluminium, I thought it's worth to be salvaged. I grabbed the damned thing and dragged it back to the anchor chain, wrapped the chain around it twice and started to wonder, if the winch will be able to pull it up to the surface. No big deal at all, thanks to LOFRANS  ;D.

Well, after I had it up to the surface, it was time for the other fellow boaters to wonder what crazy stunt Harry is doing there, driving backwards for a Kilometer with the anchor chain still dangling in the water at his bow. But I didn't care, hehe.

Whatever. Isn't it  amazing, how accurate the HBird shows details 20 metres down from the bottom of the lake? Looking at the initial picture and comparing afterwards, what the picture is actually showing, baffles me. One can see the ribs of the gangway on the display! HBirds really kicks butt!!

My friends and I were speculating for what this was used. We came to the conclusion, that this is a gangway, which was used on a private ferry boat. It was propably stored on the roof of the ferry and lost during a storm.

981 rulez!

Regards / (backwards driving) Harry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:11:18 AM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline StrikeBack

• StrikeBack Tackle
Re: Sometimes I really wonder
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:49:28 AM »
Harry,

Stop wasting your time with gangplanks, get the champagne.

Cheers

John

StrikeBack Tackle
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:56:30 AM by StrikeBack »
StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer
Australia

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Re: Sometimes I really wonder
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
Hi John,
went diving today to explore a contact I had a couple of days ago. Still no Champagne, Scandal and Sabotage!!!

If I send a package to the address of your website down under, are there any restrictions about alcohol?

Best wishes
Harry

YES,......
WE SCAN!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal