Author Topic: Making a 3D map from a saved track  (Read 7449 times)

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
Making a 3D map from a saved track
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
Hi Jim,
I am going to start a new thread to answer your question on the welcome thread - which was, how do I make the 3D map from a saved track?

ila_rendered

The first thing I notice about your track log is that it doesn't appear to have any depth information. The colours of the track points vary with the depth from red, the shallowest, to blue for the deepest. On close inspection it is possible that you have depth but that you have some extremely deep track points (circled) that are expanding the depth range to such an extent that all of the other track points are very shallow by comparison, and show in the red colour.

ila_rendered

Let's make sure we have some depth data before we make the map. Open the EDIT pane by clicking the Edit bottom at the top right of the screen. You'll see  something like the image above - note that you may need to expand the track points and properties panes by clicking on the headers.
Try filtering the deep track points out by moving the bottom slider in the Depth Filters section to the left. The track points that are filtered will go grey. Once all of the existing blue track points have gone grey, click the Filter button (the funnel). This will remove the offending track points and recalibrate the colors.
If the track now looks less uniformly red, with a good range of colors, that indicates some good depth data. You can also take a look at the track points in the list at the bottom of the Edit pane and look at the depth values there.

This page is a tutorial on how to clean track log data and is worth a quick read.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

To see the 3D data, you need to make a new map project and add the track. You can do this in one operation by right clicking the track either in the asset library or the global view, and selecting the Add Track To Project->New Project option. That will create a new project and put you on the "define map area" screen. This is where you draw the outline of the area you want to map in 3D. Select the Define Map mouse tool and draw a rectangle over the area of interest - start by using your whole track area and see how you go. The map will generate and you will see the gridded depths. Then click on either the contour or 3D view buttons on the right (arrowed) and you should be good to go.

ila_rendered
Here's final result of the track I used in the example above - a sand spit that juts out from a sandbank here in Hervey Bay, Australia. Quite shallow, but it often holds a few fish along the edges!

There is lots more information in these tutorials: How to create a new map project and Start-to-Finish: Make a fishing map for your GPS.

Good luck and I hope that's clear enough. It's really a lot less complicated than it sounds - just a few clicks of the mouse should get your there.
If you want to send me your track files I will be happy to take a look: support@reefmaster.com.au

Another good idea, just to get an idea of how the system works, is to have a play with the workspace demo. Just open the Workspace Demo workspace and double click one of the projects in the asset library (at the top left of your screen). You'll be able to go and have look at some 3D models.
Have a look at this page here, which will take you on a Quick Tour of the demo data.

Just ask if you have any more questions!

thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:45:21 PM by matt@reefmaster »
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline LANYC

• Unit(s): 1198c HD SI
  • Accessories: airmar p66, waether sens
Re: Making a 3D map from a saved track
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
HI I4M FRENCH ANS I USING 1198 and i'm very interress by this soft where can i have this soft?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
I believe that you can download a 14-day trial copy here:

http://reefmaster.com.au/index.php/try
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline LANYC

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »

Offline LANYC

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
thanks great soft i have buy it

Offline LANYC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
since the last MAJ i don't arrive to put my snapshop's 1198 with the .DAT file. can you help me please?
thanks for all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo