Author Topic: Installation Progress- Home brewed solutions II  (Read 7955 times)

Offline muskyhunter

Installation Progress- Home brewed solutions II
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:29:52 AM »
Last years episode of Home Brewed Solutions (http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=1071), I highlighted the installation of my new SideScan unit as well as other installation and customization items while deferring other projects until this year. 

My northern Wisconsin outings always present challenges.  Backing a boat into a rustic landing in the woods is difficult at night.  Years ago I installed backup lights triggered off the center pin of the 7 pin connector on the boat.  However, after four different lighting products, even after careful disassembly and treatment of silicone caulk, the lights would make it for only a few seasons.  This year I discovered VisionX (http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solstice-S1100/c1_48_88/p375/2%22_SOLSTICE_SOLO_BLACK_10-WATT_LED_POD_35%C2%B0_WIDE_BEAM/product_info.html and their Solstice LED light.  900 lumens and 0.75 amp draw, IP68 rated and submersible to 3 meters.  I ordered two for the trailer and was so impressed I bought a third.

I thought the GPS would be helpful in getting me back to the shore of our lakeside campground, which it did get me in the area but I could not find the foot trail.  My hand held spotlight died and found myself struggling to see through the shoreline brush.  The third Solstace was ordered along with a handlebar bracket for mounting.

I also built a short deck extension for the rear which incorporates a locking storage compartment and two open areas to fit Plano 3600 series tackle trays. 

Later postings will show an LED light installed under the console to illuminate not only the floor but the underside of the console for access to wiring and the fuse panel, and the installation of the two Solstice lights as trailer backup lights.  The mounting location will be behind the rear trailer tires because the end of the trailer tends to be more prone to hitting objects when backing in.  Previous lights were behind the tires never suffered damage, but I am going to fabricate a rock/splash guard out of scrap aluminum to help protect these lights even further.

Here is the headlight installation to aid in docking:

Offline muskyhunter

Re: Installation Progress- Home brewed solutions II
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
A slow day in the garage trying to figure out how to protect my new backup lights.   As mentioned before I hadn't run into problems with this mounting location before.  Because of the VisionX lifetime warranty I want to take extra precaution so no outside factors would interfere with any potential warranty claim.

I decided to manufacture some rock/splash guards for my trailer.  If they were angled backward they would provide a shield for the VisionX lights.  I opted to laminate some plumbers gasket on the front and back to help silence moving gravel and also not to shot peen the soft aluminum plate.  Plus the gasket sealed off all the holes drilled into by scrap aluminum sheet.

A plate was made to fit under the fender housing and attached to the fender mounting bolts.  I actually extended the fender mounting bolts using a threaded collar and threaded rod. 

The VisionX was easy to mount and very solid.  Tedious treatment of the connectors (dielectric grease, silicone caulk over connector ends, etc.  Just a few items to wrap and and onto the next project before the fishing season opener next weekend.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:52:20 PM by muskyhunter »

Offline muskyhunter

Installation Progress- Home brewed solutions II
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:25:12 AM »
The rear deck was a little short which is 12" wide and found myself on occasion to forget about the drop off when pivoting on the rear seat.  I decided to extend the rear deck and make for some storage space.  I wanted to keep the two floor vents/drains open so I sized the openings to fit the Plano 3600 series boxes that I have been using for years.  The center compartment will be lockable storage for my boat guests.  Because of the shallow height of this deck extension, I was having a hard time finding a suitable locking hatch cover for the center area.  I will be making an overlap door to cover the face.

As I have done with other add-ons, marine grade plywood is used.  It is finished with many coats of spar varnish inside and out before the carpeting is glued on.  This is extra insurance in keeping the compartment dry in the event there are voids with the carpet adhesive that will be applied later.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »
Great pics and setup.
Just got my boat last fall and have a lot of customizing to do.  I don't fish that much at night, but the light setup looks really handy.
The LED lights are really amazing technology.

Think I need to do the rear deck extension also.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
Great work and pictures.  I'm all into customizing, do-it yourself, and tweaking.   Last spring I added the casting deck ext in front of the rear seat, too.   I usually give the bow to my son, and stradling the seat wasn't fun. 
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
Skipping a few photos of the process, but the rear deck is done.  It is secured by two foot sections of aluminum angle against the floor (not shown) and extensions of the vertical dividers to hook under the rear deck overhang.  As mentioned before I intended to keep the two side compartments open for the floor vents/drain, but I struggled with trying to find a way to keep contents from making their way out. 

It so happened that thanks to some knucklehead customer at Cabela's put product back on the wrong hook, and knucklehead me for not checking the package, the rod savers I bought to replace above my rod locker were not the length shown on the peg hook.  Since the cost of shipping or driving the distance would exceed the cost of the rod savers, I was trying to find another use for the long straps.  That is how they made their way on the deck side compartments.  I'll try the rod savers and see how well they keep the tackle trays from sliding out, but the anchor on the other side might be a challenge.

I finished the installation by a slight overlap of the seam between the old deck and the new with an aluminum ruler mounted to the floor which helps tighten up the seam visually.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:41:44 PM by muskyhunter »

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »
Speaking of leftover parts, I bought a six inch LED light strip with the intention of mounting it on the rear deck.   Later is dawned on me that I should have bought two and mount on each side.  Now what to do with the light strip??  Well, as it turned out that I had one heck of a time trying to get access to the back side of the accessory toggle.  Twisted and jammed under the dash trying to trace the wiring and holding a flashlight.  The dash is curved and metal and the shorter my words got during this contorted struggle with the dash underside, I thought to mount this light under the dash.  I had about an hour + underneath there and it dawned on me that I was at the focal point of a parabola.  The light was mounted to take advantage of some reflection to cast a light onto the floor surface.  I didn't feel like drilling more holes.  With the luck I have had with the VHB tape, the light was adhered to the underside.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
The final effect of all the LED lighting is very subtle.  The center console light really helps with the center area and is a nice mood light for the late night cocktail.  I really like the LED lights installed on the side last year.  They do seem to do a better job in not attracting as many insects as with regular incandescent lighting.  The big plus is  the low power consumption and no melting heat thrown off to near by nylon carpet or vinyl.  Here is the end result shown with the added front headlight off and on.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments guys.  I appreciate it.  I did these detailed write ups in hope that it would help others with their own projects.  For all the web browsing I do and the information I gather, i feel a  responsibility to give back.  After 10 years of owning this boat (Crestliner Fishhawk 1750) I can say it is getting close to being fully customized to my preferences.

Offline HubertHudson

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:36 AM »
Last years episode of Home Brewed Solutions (http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=1071), I highlighted the installation of my new SideScan unit as well as other installation and customization items while deferring other projects until this year. 

My northern Wisconsin outings always present challenges.  Backing a boat into a rustic landing in the woods is difficult at night.  Years ago I installed backup lights triggered off the center pin of the 7 pin connector on the boat.  However, after four different lighting products, even after careful disassembly and treatment of silicone caulk, the lights would make it for only a few seasons.  This year I discovered VisionX (http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solstice-S1100/c1_48_88/p375/2%22_SOLSTICE_SOLO_BLACK_10-WATT_LED_POD_35%C2%B0_WIDE_BEAM/product_info.html and their Solstice LED light.  900 lumens and 0.75 amp draw, IP68 rated and submersible to 3 meters.  I ordered two for the trailer and was so impressed I bought a third.

I thought the GPS would be helpful in getting me back to the shore of our lakeside campground, which it did get me in the area but I could not find the foot trail.  My hand held spotlight died and found myself struggling to see through the shoreline brush.  The third Solstace was ordered along with a handlebar bracket for mounting.

I also built a short deck extension for the rear which incorporates a locking storage compartment and two open areas to fit Plano 3600 series tackle trays. 

Later postings will show an led lighting installed under the console to illuminate not only the floor but the underside of the console for access to wiring and the fuse panel, and the installation of the two Solstice lights as trailer backup lights.  The mounting location will be behind the rear trailer tires because the end of the trailer tends to be more prone to hitting objects when backing in.  Previous lights were behind the tires never suffered damage, but I am going to fabricate a rock/splash guard out of scrap aluminum to help protect these lights even further.

Here is the headlight installation to aid in docking:

Looks like it was very nice project..I am glad you have shared each aspect in detail.. I am working on similar project so the information will help me.. Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:56:31 AM by HubertHudson »

Offline TroyBoy30

• Unit(s): 1198
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:25 AM »
bluewater led's

rigid industries is coing out with a new spotlight that mounts directly to the fortrex by simply changing the end cap

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo