Author Topic: New 898 HB with Ipilot link ready to download updates ?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline trentbosse

• Unit(s): 898c si hd
  • Software: 6.740
  • Accessories: ipilot link
New 898 HB with Ipilot link ready to download updates ?
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
I haved not been able to come up with the answer. Ready to download v.6.740 on the 898,   1.160 on the ipilot controller and 1.160 onto the Remote.
1) I put all three on the same usb card. Will that work? or should it be seperated?
2) Can I put them on the HB and take that to the Minn Kota or just wait till everything is turned on at the same time.
I think I understand the directions as far as the defalts and the rest but these things are not clear to me. Thanks for your help looking forward to some soft water in Ohio.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: New 898 HB with Ipilot link ready to download updates ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Put all three updates on the same memory card.
Make sure everything is powered on and connected (by using the Accessory Test View on your 898 unit) before starting the updates.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline geemul

• Unit(s): 2 x 798cXi SI
  • Software: 7.120
  • Accessories: Ethernet Switch, Minnkota iPilot Link
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »

I'm interested to hear how you go with the 1.160 updates to the Minnkota and remote.

The 1.160 firmware appears to be designed to fix a bug in the remote where the battery indicator never shows a 100% charge.

It actually introduced a couple of absolute ripper of bugs into my iPilot link motor.

In very light tidal and wind conditions the Spot Lock will lose the plot and just switch itself off. This is manifested by the motor rotating about 90 degree's clockwise and then about 90 degree's counter-clockwise, the propellor icon on the remote flashes and the Spot Lock switches itself off.
Spot Lock will work fine if it has a wind or a tide or both to push against continuously.
I tested mine in a raging run out tide the Minnkota had no hope of beating but it still attempted to hold the Spot Lock despite it steadily losing ground to the tidal flow.

The second one just about put my boat up on a rock breakwall one afternoon and again involves Spot Lock.
When the boat drifts off the Spot Lock mark (which it will do and I have no problems with this) and comes back toward the mark one of two things happens.
If the motor speed reduces sufficiently to allow the bow of the boat to drift slightly off line and require a port or starboard correction all will work fine and the Spot Lock will be maintained.
If the boat continues on Exactly the same heading over the Spot Lock mark it will continue on this heading into the wild blue yonder.
Basically the remote will show the current heading and it will maintain this exact heading, the distance to Spot Lock mark on the remote will increase as you overshoot the mark and the motor speed will increase to 10 to attempt to reduce the distance to the mark. The motor doesn't appear to be able to reverse its course but most certainly can increase its speed.
In my case once straight at a breakwall, once straight out into a shipping channel with a bulk carrier coming into port and once it tried to send me out of the harbour and onward to New Zealand.
I've never let it go long enough to find out if Spot Lock gives up or just keeps going until the battery goes flat!

So yeah, I'm a big fan of Ver 1.160 in the Minnkota.

Surely I'm not the only one in the world that has seen these two Spot Lock "features"

Geoff

Offline trentbosse

• Unit(s): 898c si hd
  • Software: 6.740
  • Accessories: ipilot link
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:35 AM »
After a little more reserch I played it safe. (Something to do with how the updates are arranged on the card).
I went with one download at a time on the card updated the 898 today.
I have a new 112. My remote came with 1.160 it shows fully charged.
The controller is behind and needs the update. It will be some time before i see water that is not froven. So the rocks are still to come.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo