Author Topic: 788ci HD DI Cannot save settings  (Read 11062 times)

Offline Dusty-Pants

• Unit(s): Helix 10
788ci HD DI Cannot save settings
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
I bought a demo unit and overall works good.  Couple glitches though. First, I cannot save settings, when I reboot, the previous setting changes are lost.  Second, the graph always shows the correct depth but the digital readout does not always match the graphed depth, not even close.  Third,  with switchfire "max" the graph suffers from a red out, cannot distinguish anything.   Most common depth range used is 3-25 feet.  I also have a 798 si unit and that works flawlessly.  Another totally unrelated question is I have three surface temp sensors onboard and they are all different.  Does anyone know how to tell the "real"  temp?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 788ci HD DI Cannot save settings
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »
Does any of this happen when the other sonar units are off?

When you are making the menu setting changes, is this with the unit plugged into its own transducer?  In other words, is the unit going into its normal operation mode or is this with the unit in the Simulator mode?

What is the model name on the transducer that the 788ci HD DI is connected to?  Look for this within the first several feet of the transducer’s connector.

In shallow water you may have to set the SwitchFire menu to the Clear Mode setting or you may see this.

I would see if I could find someone else with a Humminbird DI model unit and test your unit on their boat’s transducer to see if anything changes or not.

How far apart are these three temperature sensors reading and are they all mounted in the same location?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
I tried in the garage with other units off and still it does not save.  I have not tried on the water but would think it would be the same.  I normally do not use the flasher and 798 at the same time, only use the 798 and 788 concurrently.

I have tried to save in normal and advanced mode with the same result.

The transducer cable is marked XNT 9 DIT.

No problem with SwitchFire, it seemed like if I toggled that setting the digital readings would correct themselves.  It could be coincidence since sometimes the readout matches the graph anyway.

I know people who have SI but unfortunately no one that have DI.

The unit has software version 5.500 installed and passed the self test and displayed 13.2 to 13.4 volts.

The temperature reading was flasher showing 74 degrees, 798 showed 72 degrees, and the 788 showed 76.8 degrees.  The differences are about the same on the water.  The flasher and 798 are transom mounted about three feet apart and the 788 is bow mounted about 19 feet away from the 798.

Hope some of this helps solve the mystery.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »
Are you turning off the unit with the power button or an external toggle switch...??

Rickie

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
I normally shut down with the unit power button.  The first few times getting ready to make a run I would forget to shut down and once I was at the console I was to comfortable to get up, so I would toggle it off.  I would then repower and reboot when dropping the trolling motor.  When I discovered that the setting were not saving I began shutting down with the button but I still had to re-enter the settings.  Now, I power up and leave it on after making the setting changes and leave it on when pulling the trolling motor and making a run (Don't know if this is good practice or not).  At the end of the day I power down with the button.

Thanks for the reply...

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »
It's understandable that the unit does not save the settings when powered off by any other means than the unit's power button because the unit has a "shut down sequence" just like a computer ...

Now that you indicate that you are indeed powering off with the power button...I'm out of ideas...

Hopefully Greg will have more when he checks in tomorrow...

Rickie

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
But I don’t Rickie.  There are a few menus that the settings are not remembered (I think that the Depth Alarm is one of these) but the other menu settings should be getting saved in memory if the unit is being turned off with the power button.

Dusty-Pants, you may have to call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1468 and get your 788ci HD DI unit sent in to be fixed for this.

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
This was a store demo unit, is it possible that too many buttons were pressed at the same time or some strange combination occured that cancels the save function?

Would it be a worthwhile exercise to reload the software? 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
I have not heard of any button combination that would cause this but I guess that it is not out of the realm of possibilities.
Certainly reloading the software would be something that you could try but I do not know if it will help or not.  If it were my unit i would give it a try.

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Greg and Rickie, Thanks for your time with this issue.  Will post if reloading software helps.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
The unit will not let you just "reload" the same version of software again...

You will have to load a different version for your unit and then reload the original version...

Also it's not recommended to load a version of software older than the unit came with...

Do you know what version the unit originally had...??

Rickie

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Came with version 5.500.  If I install newer version and it works, why would I have to then go backwards?

I was reading that with v 6.40 and higher, eitherneting requires both units to have same version.  I plan to Interlink the 788 and my 798.  I checked Humminbird website and version 6.300 is the highest available for my 798. Will upgrading the 788 to the latest version (6.640) according Humminbird website wipeout my Interlinking ability?  These units cannot be eitherneted.

I saw a posting that version 5.59 for the 788 works well.  Can I get a download of that version or some other stable pre-6.640 version somewhere?

If necessary to return unit can I leave the newer version installed?  Also, what is "normal" turnaround time for a return?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
“Came with version 5.500.  If I install newer version and it works, why would I have to then go backwards?”
You would not have to go back to an older version of software.  What Rickie was referring to is loading a version of software that is older than what the unit was manufactured with.  Doing so could possibly cause it to stop working and would require you to return it back to Humminbird just to be reprogrammed.

“Will upgrading the 788 to the latest version (6.640) according Humminbird website wipeout my Interlinking ability?”
It should not.

“I saw a posting that version 5.59 for the 788 works well.  Can I get a download of that version or some other stable pre-6.640 version somewhere?”
Yes you can.  Try checking the Downloads section of this web site for the older software versions you want.  If they are not there you can send me an e-mail (not a pm) and I will send you a link for the software through TransferBigFiles.com.  You will have to be specific about what model your 788 unit is and also which software version(s) you want.

“If necessary to return unit can I leave the newer version installed?”
Units returned to the factory are typically shipped back with the latest available software.

“Also, what is "normal" turnaround time for a return?”
We try to return units with three days of receiving them, however this is the “busy season” for our Service center folks so we may not be able to meet that every day.  You should call the Humminbird Customer Resource Center folks for a better idea of how long we will have your unit.  Remember too that you will have to add shipping time to and from the Service Center.

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »
Greg, I appreciate the quick reply.  Since version 6.64 will not wipeout the Interlinking abilityI will try installing that.  I will post the results.

Thanks a million.....you guys are great!!

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »
I started the software upgrade process by downloading the waypoints to an SD card, then restored defaults and set user mode to normal.  Upon restoring defaults, I thought hmmm, so after completing preparation I rebooted then made some menu changes and rebooted again, presto.... changes saved!!  Later, when on the water, the digital depth readout seemed to match the charted depth and the menu settings still held.

I would say the problem is solved. 

Unless there is a good reason to upgrade software versions I will stay with V 5.500 in the 788.  Is there a posting anywhere that lists the changes?

Many thanks again...

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
Dusty-Pants,
Which model 798 unit do you have?
798c Si Combo
798ci Si Combo
798ci HD Si Combo

Offline Dusty-Pants

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
I have a 798ci Si Combo with V 5.450 at the console, what are your thoughts?

Just wondering if there is a smaller (shorter in length) transducer available for the 788 than the XNT 9 DIT.  I cannot fit both the transducer and my TM guard at the same time.  I have sacrificed the guard for now but I mostly fish the shallows (1-3' depth) and the voices in my tackle box are warning me that this is a dangerous condition.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
I was going to post what had changed, software wise, but that 5.500 software version for the 798 unit had me scratching my head until I reread your message today and realized that this was for the 788ci HD DI unit.  There have been many changes (some of which I did not get to document):

v5.590 - Corrects course lag problem that occurs when turning at low speeds.

v5.840 - Adds waypoint management along with changes to sonar software to reduce trolling motor interference.

V6.250 - Menu Arrow update - Previously when there were no further options the arrow would change to a lighter color.  Now there is no arrow shown when there are no further options available.
Style selection for Course Projection Lines - this allows you to select either an arrow, line or line with tick marks.  (Only on Chart plotter products, not Track plotters)
Waypoint Proximity Flags - allows you to display or hide waypoint flags for the ten closest waypoints to the boat or active cursor.  The flags show the distance from the boat to each waypoint.  These flags are influenced by the zoom level and boat speed.  They are only displayed if the chart range is less than .5 sm and the boat is traveling less than 15 mph. Can be set to Hidden or Visible.  The default is Hidden 
TTG Readouts on all Units - added to some models that did not previously have this available in the Nav Readouts sections
Lower Range Expansion - Lower Range can now be set to auto or manual.  In manual mode, it can now be set to as little as two feet. 
Hide Track - you can now make a specific track visible or hidden through the Waypoint Management Menus
Scaled Boat Icon - The Boat icon size now changes depending on the chart scale the unit is set at.  There are three sizes:  Small, Medium and Large(current icon)
Display Assigned Waypoint Icon in Readout Boxes - blue dot icon is no longer used.  Actual assigned icons now show.  (only on chart plotter, not track plotter units)
DI Enhance - only on DI units, allows you to adjust your down imaging view in three categories:  sensitivity, contrast, sharpness
DI Colors - default is set to Amber, DI units only
Disable Nav Data Auto Upload for SD Cards - Navagation Data stored on an SD card will no longer update automatically.  You will now be prompted as to whether you would like to update the Nav Data. 
Track Memory Warning - notifies the customer when they are within 10 minutes of filling up their track memory and starts overwriting data
Timer - allows you to open a dialog box to setup and start a time.  The countdown can be view via a selectable readout as well as in the setup box.  When the timer is started the clock counts down from the amount of time set in the dialog box.  This feature is part of the Alarms Menu Tab.
Vessel Offset - allows you to display more of the Chart View based on the speed of the boat.  Vessel Offset works with Offset Speed.
AIS functionality - added to 700 HD series products.
Quick Setup - allows immediate set up of Water Type and Max Depth if the unit has never been turned on before or the defaults have been reset
Sea Bed Off - default has been set to off (on chart plotter products only, not track plotters)
No Auto sensitivity on Imaging - auto sensitivity is no longer active on any Down Imaging or Side Imaging products.  This change was made because these type products function best with custom settings. 
North Up Indicator - An arrow displays ont screen showing which way is North even when the chart is oriented to heading or course up.  this is located in the Chart Menu Tab, it can be set to On or Off.  The Default setting is Off.
Casting Rings - Allows you to display a circle around each waypoint on the Chart View based on the zoom level set.  This menu option sets the distance that the Casting Ring will be displayed from the waypoint.  Settings are Off to 150 ft; Default is Off.
Auto Zoom on Chart - sets the Chart view to zoom automatically based on the speed of the boat.  Setting are: On or Off.  Default is Off
Auto Range on Chart - when turned on, sets the chart scale to the lowest range so that only the boat icon and the next waypoint in the route are displayed.  This feature only activates when navigation is underway. 
Skip Next Waypoint Improvements
Reset XTE - is only available during navigation.  When selected, the cross track error will be recalculated from the boat's current position to the next waypoint in the route.
Chart Orientation - allows you to select whether the Chart and Combo Views should be drawn North-Up, Heading-Up or Course-Up.  Default = North-Up
Chart Declutter - removes all chart layers except for land outlines, waypoints, routes and tracks.  The chart will stay decluttered for 10 seconds and then it will refresh to previous view.
Route Drawing Improvements
Stop Tracking - under Current Track, you have the option to Stop Tracking which clears the current track and the unit will not save trackpoints.

v6.420 and v6.500 I did not get to copy the posted changes made with this software.

v6.570 - 1. Removed Universal Sonar II transducer selection option, now users should select dual beam as their selection. 2. LakeMaster map coding was updated to work with i-PilotLINK 3. Tweaks were made to radar functionality to fix a memory leak 4. Fixed a bug that caused some models to sometimes skip a view when cycling through views. 5. Locked NMEA output at 4800 baud when enabled 6. Added iPilotLINK operation menus and capabilities. WARNING!!!!! If you own the AS WX 1, you will not want to do this upgrade nor any future upgrades. You will lose AS WX 1 functionality. AS WX 1 is the optional accessory which allows you to subscribe to the XM/Sirius Weather Service!!!!!!!!

v6.610 includes changes to POS Script Updates and includes general performance and stability updates plus everything included in v6.590 - 1. Removed Universal Sonar II transducer selection option, now users should select dual beam as their selection. 2. LakeMaster map coding was updated to work with i-PilotLINK 3. Tweaks were made to radar functionality to fix a memory leak 4. Fixed a bug that caused some models to sometimes skip a view when cycling through views. 5. Locked NMEA output at 4800 baud when enabled 6. Added iPilotLINK operation menus and capabilities. WARNING!!!!! If you own the AS WX 1, you will not want to do this upgrade nor any future upgrades. You will lose AS WX 1 functionality. AS WX 1 is the optional accessory which allows you to subscribe to the XM/Sirius Weather Service!!!!!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo