Author Topic: 997 CSI BASE Map missing a lake - updates correction?  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Mark Saikaley

• Unit(s): Helix12MegSI 3GN
  • Accessories: I-PilotLink,digitrol 5
997 CSI BASE Map missing a lake - updates correction?
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »
I was on a lake in Ontario which shows up just as land. I have the Navionics hotmaps Canada (a couple years old version) but even if Navionics doesnt have this lake charted , shouldnt it still appear as a lake vs land with the Humminbird base map?

Would a Hummingbird unit update (My last firmware update was done August 2011) pick up any basemap corrections? Or is this striclty a matter of needing a Navionics map which would have had the lake added.  All Im really looking for at this point is for my chart to be indicating a body of water even if the countouring isnt there. Id just like to see the shoreline at least untill some point when I get a map upgrade but I dont feel its worth a new navionics card just for one missing lake on which I fish. But if its a Hummingbird basemap oversight Id expcet they would have an update

This is the lake info:
Name: Lake Clear
Latitude 45.441
Longitude -77.19

Surfaqce Area 1727 ha
Max Depth 42.7 metres
Avg Depth 11.2 metres
Ontario fishing zone 15

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 997 CSI BASE Map missing a lake - updates correction?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
Did you try changing the Chart Select menu setting or removing the Navionics card to see if there is a lake outline on the base map (I don’t have a 997 to check this with)?

If it does not show up than you would have to wait for Navionics to update their mapping card.  The maps in the units can only be updated if there is a map update and I don’t think that there ever will be one.  Even than I don’t know if it can be done without sending the unit in and having the memory components replaced as the units were not designed for that.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Mark Saikaley

• Unit(s): Helix12MegSI 3GN
  • Accessories: I-PilotLink,digitrol 5
Re: 997 CSI BASE Map missing a lake - updates correction?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
I tried interchanging between the hotmaps Canada card and Navionics 648 Platinum Plus, and also tried it with both cards instered at the same time and had the unit auto select.  I dont think I 'analyzed' the view with both cards removed but I believe I had the unit on when I was removing and switching cards and at no time saw any water on the chart at my location despite being on the body of water at the time. Its a reasonably large and well used (many boaters and cottages and within 75 minutes of the Capital of Canada) so I find it very unusual that it would not be included .  I have visited the lake 3 times this summer and its the only lake/river that is showing up as land. I find this puzzling

If I go to the lake again I wil be sure to try it without any cards instered however I am skeptical it will make a difference since I have found that with other bodies of water I see a shoreline whether or not I have the appropriate Navionaic card inserted.

Thanks for the insights. I do plan to upgrade my firmware/software anyhow, but currently and doing fine otherwise with my year old update and I figure why mess with satisfaction unless I have a good reason. :).  I was looking for a good reason :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo