Miscellaneous > Fishing

Missed opprotunity to recover lost lures using SI

(1/2) > >>

Piscivorous Pike:
OH RATS!!  >:(
OH RATS!! Just like my last fantastic over the mountain game shot while deer hunting and not using the GPS to  verify my brag about the shot...

I did not use my 798I SI  to save the day, specifically recover the lost lures.  But here is an idea that should help.

I have recently started using fluorocarbon leaders on braid.  I have tried every type of connection, Japanese knot, Albrights, etc. to connect the flouro and still I keep having the flouro shatter at the junction from going through the rod guides.  I am not new to knots, I lay claim to one braid knot I invented and was published in 3-1995 by In-Fisherman and named for me but I have not solved this breakaway problem and invariably I have cast away several Rapalas.

I just figured out how to recover them, maybe at least sometimes.  I am going to bemoan that $6 for the season now.

I had my SI out for the first time and was fishing bass.  When the 6 feet of leader sailed away under tow of a perfectly good Husky Jerk I watch it hit and submerge in 12 feet of water by a subsurface tree.

HB new GPS is supposed to be the most accurate in units out there.  I should have hovered on the spot and marked it.  The SI has limited applicability here but location is important to recovery.

Once marked by visual references and GPS I could have picked up my 250# pull salvage magnet and dredged the bottom and branches there.  I bet I had a chance to recover my lucky lure.

You think?  Well, at least consider the method, I will try to use it next time.

Jolly Roger:
I think the magnet works as long as the lure is made of / contains iron AND the magnet gets in contact with the lure. I used a sea-searcher magnet with a lift capacity of 64 KG on several occasions for fine searching for small objects after I located something in the sand with my metal detector. Worked pretty good to find small iron stuff.
I used it once to lift a "sunshade stand" on which my lucky blinker got caught. Turned out to be no sunshade stand at all  :o

Piscivorous Pike:
Maybe not everyone will recognize that... but if I am correct the word association of BOOM! goes well with your buried treasure.  True?

anti-tank mine isn't it? vintage 40's?

Jolly Roger:
Hi Pike,
yes, you're right. It was a German T 42 Anti Tank mine. It was the first of more than 30 AT mines that I discovered in that area. This one caught my blinker and I could see the mine from the boat, because the water was about two metres deep.
Since it was on a beach where people go swimming in summer time, I just couldn't believe that it's a mine I saw and suspected it as a sunshine stand or a mooring stone. I dropped the magnet on it, but couldn't get it out of the sand, so I used my boathook to get the initial lift and than hauled it up to the surface with the magnet. BIG surprise......
I went diving there on many occasions and the place was (and still is) contaminated with this stuff. It was dumped from the french army after WW II and came from a SS barrack in the town.
All the stuff I found was handed over or reported to State's EOD or the Coast Guard. Sometimes they didn't like any more  :-[.
There were other models as well, the first one an American Anti Personal M3 and the second one a German T 35 Stahl ("Steel").

Humminbird_Greg:
Are those still 'active'?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version