Author Topic: Hummy Destroyed?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline simoncauchi

• Unit(s): 798ci si hd & 788c
  • Accessories: weathersence
Hummy Destroyed?
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
Hi guys,

Today i tried to play with fire and might got burned.  :'(   Few weeks ago i purchased the pc cable connector and with that you get the other connector were you put the batteries. After using is for a couple of days, maybe a few hours it seemed that the batteries were already drained as the console was switching off after a a minute or so. So i was thinking instead of using the batteries i cut the cable from the battery case or whatever you call that and hook the red and black wires into a standard 3 pin electric plug.. While doing this i felt something is not right but for me experimenting is always tempting and actually i felt there was no way it cannot work since it had a live and a neutral wires. So when finished I inserted the 3 pin in the main electricity wall plug and as soon as I inserted the cable to the console [the wire that powers the console] there was a small like burn and a small smoke. I find that the pin was damaged but i opened it and i did not see any wires burned or anything like that. I never switched the power button on the console when this happened. Now since i cannot test the console as my boat is still being installed my question is this... Does this mean the console is death or maybe the pin only gets faulty? And is it possible that only the battery connector gets damaged because the I never powered the humminbird? One other thing... I see that when i hook the humminbird to the main part on the boat all pins gets locked to it to the humminbird.  Now i only see slight damage to the pin that hooks to the external battery cable.. Does this mean it still won't power when i hook it to the main part on the boat? Or the damaged pin is only used for the external battery cable?

My hummy is 788c and I appreciate every answer or experience about this. Sorry for my english it isn't my first language!!

Regards

Simon

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: Hummy Destroyed?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
simoncauchi

I would recommend that you call Humminbird right away and tell them exactly what happened and see if they will take a look at it. 
You may be lucky and burnt something out before it hit the board.

The repair cost if they will do it is $170.45 plus shipping.

Good Luck
George

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
OUCH!!!!!
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline simoncauchi

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:30 AM »
simoncauchi

I would recommend that you call Humminbird right away and tell them exactly what happened and see if they will take a look at it. 
You may be lucky and burnt something out before it hit the board.

The repair cost if they will do it is $170.45 plus shipping.

Good Luck
George

Thanks.. Looks like it is damaged and will have to replace it. Will buy the 798 CI HD and lesson learned!!   :'(

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »
simoncauchi

Please make sure you put the 3.0 amp fuse inline it will help to protect your unit.  If you want to run your system on 120v there are adapters available to convert the 120v power to 12 volts and you still need to use an in line fuse.  The information is available on this site.

George

Offline sjefsrafsern

• neptune og nemo`s fiskeside
  • Unit(s): 898/1198
  • Software: 6.740
  • Accessories: digitroll 5 ts cannonlink
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »
hi i think you may have burned some resistants on the circuitboard in your unit, maybe only one. on a lot of electronical stuff there is one resistant at the electrik input (on the ciruit board) that burns out if the unit is connected wrong and or get to mutch power. so to save mony there might be a good plan to swing by your local electronik dealer if they have a service/repair team, and maybe they can replace it.(at a low price) and find out if the overload was to high and pased this safety feature.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
Am I reading this correct in that you removed the battery supply (12 volt) and plugged the unit directly into 120 ac?

wow. not good.

You have probably damaged something in the unit..

Call HB..

Chuck

Offline simoncauchi

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
Thanks for all replies..

Yes I did cut the battery cable wires from the battery terminal casing and put it into a 3 pin plug then into the electrical main plug.. The other problem is that here in Malta the electrical current is 240...  :-X

It looks death however what i will do is buy the 798CI HD SI and then if possible will try to fix this. To be honest I hated the 788c because it was without internal GPS and didn't have HD. I always wanted the CI and HD but the dealer here never had it so i am thinking of buying one from the U.S.

I have another question for you guys. What is the difference from a U.S. Version and an International Version? The reason i ask is because i am thinking of buying it from ebay as it is cheaper and don't want to end up with another non working fish finder.  Are both the 788c 798ci hd si or the whole 7 serious use the same transducer and mount? So i don't have to uninstall everything if that's the case and just put the fishfinder in the 788 console on the boat..

Thanks

Offline sjefsrafsern

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
yes you can use the transducer and mount, for the 798. but to get si you will have to change transducer. if you buy a us version, you will have some limitaions in the gps and chart mode.

Offline simoncauchi

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »
yes you can use the transducer and mount, for the 798. but to get si you will have to change transducer. if you buy a us version, you will have some limitaions in the gps and chart mode.

Thanks for the reply. My older transducer is from the 788 c and did not have HD. If i decide to buy without SI are you sure the same transducer still works since the older one did not have HD?

Re U.S version limitations i think you mean about the metrics etc.. Re- maps i would still have to buy my local maps so i don't think this will make much difference..

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:58:15 AM by simoncauchi »

Offline sjefsrafsern

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
yes i im pretty shure your transducer will work. but youll only get 2 d sonar images.   :)

Offline RV Sam

• Unit(s): 997c SI
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
wow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo