Author Topic: Can the 1197c SI produce BITMAP (.bmp) screen snapshots?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Adam Kaeser

• Unit(s): 981c SI
Can the 1197c SI produce BITMAP (.bmp) screen snapshots?
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
Can anyone comment on the specific image file formats produced by the 1197c SI under the various software updates that have appeared?  Specifically, can the 1197 produce bitmap .BMP images, as earlier SI systems and softwares (e.g., 981c SI, sofware version 3.940) were capable of producing? If yes, can you identify which software version is associated with .bmp screen snapshot production.

A related question- has anyone detected (perhaps subtle) differences in the image quality/resolution produced by the SI systems using the various image output file formats (.bmp versus .png) that have been substituted as part of control head software upgrades. 

Thanks for the info!

Adam
Sounding is believing

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Can the 1197c SI produce BITMAP (.bmp) screen snapshots?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:57:19 PM »
the 1197 saves the snapshot in a .dat type.   you can bring this file into paint or photo shop pro and where you can save in several different types of format.  (.bmp  or .jpeg)  are the two most common types.  In the unit there is not a selection to save snapshots in .bmp.    I snapshot and then copy it to my photo phop and work with it there.  Of course if you want to play back on the 1197 it will have to be the .dat type.  chuck

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
Chuck,
Thanks for such an immediate response.  I'm awaiting the delivery of an 1197c any day now.  If by chance you had an opportunity to send one of these .dat files to my email, I'm interested to have a look at the various file formats it can be converted to as you suggested.  My email is
(removed for security reasons)

I have heard from other users that their 1197 units put out a .png file, apparently straight to the SD card (I would assume), so I'm a bit perplexed by the .dat file output you mention.

Thanks!
Adam
GA Dept of Natural Resources
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:23:47 PM by Adam Kaeser »
Sounding is believing

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »
Adam,

The 1197 puts out the snapshot in .PNG format only.  They originally used the .BMP file format, but later switched to the PNG through a software update.  The BMP files were much larger.

The .DAT file that Chuck is refering to is the data file that stores the waypoint information and a thumbnail of the snapshot.

Here is an image in the original PNG format.

As Chuck mentioned, you can open it in just about any image editor and then save to BMP if needed.

Good Luck,

Robert
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:17:50 PM by RGecy »
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Robert,
Thanks a ton, you guys are fast to respond, and I sure do appreciate it.  It sounds like I will be able to upload an earlier version of the 1197 software to restore bitmap output if deemed necessary.  I am leading several research mapping projects founded on the screen snapshots, and have been hyper-concerned, and ultra-discriminating when it comes to image resolution.  With the delivery of our new 1197 I intend to get to the bottom of this issue- whether the .bmp file format is (as I suspect) higher resolution than the .png output.  Any thoughts on this? 

I'll post my findings to the thread when available.

Thanks-
Adam

Sounding is believing

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
Adam,

Here is some info from WikiAnswers:

Each format has its pros and cons, but there are differences and specific times when a certain format should be used.

PNG. Portable Networks Graphic. They best overall image format, especially for computer-generated graphics and files containing text and images having sharp transitions, but not as good as JPEGs for photos because of the larger file size. PNG is a better choice for storing photos that require a lot of editing, since JPEG is "lossy" and PNG isn't.

Although not as compatible with the Windows operating systems (especially XP) as other formats, PNGs produce very high quality images with high resolution, but the biggest pro is that PNG's can handle transparency that JPEGs cannot. PNG is mainly used in MAC operating systems but can now be used in Windows Vista.

BMP - Bitmap. This was probably the first type of digital image format. It's most common in Windows environments. This is generally medium-high quality but produces larger file sizes. This format is ideal for icons and small images.

I would stick with the PNG!  Even if you are using Windows XP, most Image Editors use the format, you just would not see the thumbnails or previews in Windows XP.

Robert
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:09:34 PM by RGecy »
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Adam, Robert is faster than I but he is younger also.   ;D   Can you describe your research mapping project.  Are you wanting to map using the sonar image or do you want to map the contour.  We have several prorams that do contour in both bathymetric and 3d.  Let us know if any of this will help in your project.  To add a little to Roberts post, the snapshot files produced by HB are and can be opened in Paint or Photoshop and probably others.  You can then save in a format of your choice.  With programs like photoshop you can enhance or touch up the photo also.
  Do you still want some snapshots. 
 chuck.   

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:42:31 PM »
Robert and Chuck,
A colleague and I have developed the software tools and techniques for producing rectified raster image mosaics and sonar-based habitat maps from the screen snapshots, and have completed several mapping projects in the last 3 years, some published, and other papers soon to appear.  The tools function entirely within the ArcGIS environment, and require no other software purchases.  We also teach not-for-profit sonar mapping workshops to natural resource professionals interested in the techniques, next offered at the American Fisheries Society meeting in Pittsburgh, Sept 2010.  I'd be glad to send you some of our products, but hesitate to get "too involved" with such discussions over the forum since we often have our hands full.  I am, however, interested to hear more of your 3D mapping capabilities, and have long been interested in integrating 3D data with our 2D habitat mapping capabilities.  I'd be glad to send you some information off-line if you wish to share another contact method, my email is (removed for security reasons), and thanks.
Adam
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:24:28 PM by Adam Kaeser »
Sounding is believing

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
Adam, thanks,   very interesting.   e-mail for chuck is ncurt100@gmail.com.   Anything you send will stay with me and not be distributed.  Robert may be interested in particular with the mosaics pieces.  If you look at my profile at the pictures you will see the bathymetric and 3d.  I can send you others.  let me know.      chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
Not so sure that you will be able to get a *.bmp file out of the 1197 unit Adam.  You would have to back to the 4.100 version software which I believe was a pre-production version software for the 1197 unit.  I would look into the programs that Chuck and Robert posted about as they have some nice capabilities that make better usage of the Si sonar resolution than what we can display on our units.  Maybe this can be made compatible with your needs as well.  I think that you should also post those pdf files you sent to Mark and I as well.  Guys, they are doing some really neat stuff with our units as well and I wonder if some of the Habitat Mapping techniques could be used for SAR use.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Adam Kaeser

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will look into a proper place within the Forum to consider posting some info on sonar mapping.
Adam
Sounding is believing

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
Adam.  look at FAQ's or the tutorial topics to put your posting into.   You can create new topic headers within these existing tabs.     chuck    also so you know Randy T. who works near Savannah?  (DNR)

Offline mendota

• Unit(s): 1197
  • Software: 4.75
  • Accessories: AS-GRHA
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
Adam, I have found that the resolution of the snapshots and video output are the same, and limited to the screen resolution.

However, the recorded data can be played back and viewed through SIView and HumViewer at full resolution, which is quite a bit better.  I highly recommend you investigate these options.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo