Author Topic: 798DI HD SI and 859DI  (Read 3965 times)

Offline JPWalnuthill

• Unit(s): 798ci HD si/ 859ci HD DI
798DI HD SI and 859DI
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
This is my first post and have read a lot on have learned a lot already on this forum. I bought a 798 CI HD SI for the front to mount on the Trolling Motor. I bought a 859DI to mount on the console. Both will be here tomorrow, so hopefully I can install them this weekend. These are going on an 18 ft. Venture Bass boat. The 859 Transducer will be installed on the Transom. My question is, Will the 859 still give me a depth reading when at cruising speed. I don't need to get detail at that speed, just a good depth reading. Have looked for this answer but couldn't find it. I know that I can install a shoot thru the hull transducer with a Y cable, but as long as I get a good depth reading, I really don't want to do this unless it is necessary. I look forward to learning from you'll that have a lot of experience with these units.   
Living in God's Country

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 798DI HD SI and 859DI
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:05 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums JPWalnutHill.

If you can install the DI transducer for 859 where it will always have an uninterrupted stream of air bubble free water flowing across it: yes it will give you a depth reading at cruising speed.

Assuming that you installed the units over the weekend: how did it go?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline JPWalnuthill

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
Greg, thanks for your reply. I installed the 798 this weekend, but trolling motor mount didn't come in until today. The 859 is late also but should be here tomorrow. I read about an Transducer exchange program and was wondering if it would be beneficial to exchange for a shoot thru the hull Transducer. Would a shoot thru hull give as good as performance as transom mount. I fished with a friend recently that had a 798 on his trolling motor and it worked great. His sold me on this unit. Can't wait to get to the water and try it.
Living in God's Country

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
If you do a good job installing an shoot thru the hull (inside-the-hull) transducer you will not notice any difference in the readings than if it was installed on the transom.  For the DI model units it is the same transducer as for the transom mount except that you get an epoxy kit versus transom mounting hardware.

Offline JPWalnuthill

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
If I understand you correctly, the transducer I received with the 859 DI unit can be glued inside the hull. This would great as I wouldn't have to worry about damaging it. I received the 859 today and will install tomorrow afternoon. Hope to put in water Friday. Thanks again for your help. 
Living in God's Country

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Yep, same transducer just different stuff gets packed with it.  Be sure to prep the hull and test the inside-the-hull location before you start mixing any epoxy!

Offline JPWalnuthill

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
Greg, finally got to the river this morning and both units worked great. I sand bagged the 859 transducer inside the hull and put a little water inside the Hull and was amazed how well it worked. Will glue in this afternoon. Thanks again for your help. Would recommend either of these units.
Living in God's Country

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo