Author Topic: 997c Ver 6.300  (Read 4807 times)

Offline SuperSide

• Happy Fishing
  • Unit(s): 997c SI
997c Ver 6.300
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
I am having a problem with the SI depth reading.  I have a AS SIDB Y used for:

"Y Cable - Side Imaging and Dual Beam - allows you to use two transducers on one unit without the use of a transducer switch.  For use with Side Imaging products only, in conjunction with a dual beam transducer only.  For improved high speed performance for bottom tracking. 

Late last year I notice a problem; the depth reading was fine as long as I was going below 4 or 5 miles, once I accelerated the depth reading would skip to 2.9Ft and the reading would not cahnge.  I change the Y cable and the unit worked fine for a while (so I think).  Now I am having the same problem.

Anybody has any idea why?

Oscar
Going fishing is the main issue.... caching fish just makes it perfect.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: 997c Ver 6.300
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
You didn't mention if the Dual Beam is mounted in the bilge or on the transom ...

Either way ...the Dual Beam xducer is most likely getting air under it ...

If it's in the bilge ...the epoxy has failed and is letting air between the xducer and the hull bottom ... You can test this by adding water to the bilge to fill the possible air void ...

If it's mounted on the transom ...the xducer is misaligned or not far enough down in the water for smooth water flow over the face of the xducer ...

Which mounting setup is your Dual Beam ... ??

Rickie

Offline SuperSide

• Happy Fishing
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
Hi Rickie

Thanks for the information, the Dual  Beam  is mounted on the bilge of the boat.  I am going to check to see if there is any problems whit the mounting and add water to the bilge next time on the water.

Happy fishing.

Oscar

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
Another good test is to disconnect the Dual Beam from the AS SIDB Y cable and plug the Dual Beam directly into the head unit (without the SI xducer connected) ...

Set the "Transducer Select" menu (under the Sonar tab) to Dual Beam and test for accurate depth readings ...

This test helps troubleshoot possible problems with the AS SIDB Y cable and/or the Dual Beam xducer functionality ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:29:28 AM by rnvinc »

Offline SuperSide

• Happy Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
Hi Rickie,

I finally got to the water to test the Hummingbird side imaging wrong reading problem, here are my test and results:

1.   With the Y Cable, Side Imaging Sonar, Dual Beam connected and the Transducer set to Hi-Def Sidescan, the depth readout is erroneous.  The readout is 2.9Feet and I know it is not.

2.   Knowing that the Dual Beam sensor is mounted on the bilge of the boat, I added water to the bilge to fill any possible air bubbles on the epoxy and with the same setting as above.  Still have the same faulty reading.

3.   Remove the Y cable and connected the Side Imaging Sonar cable directly to the System.  The depth reading was correct.  Unit worked corrected for a long period of time, therefore the Side Imaging Sensor is working correctly.

4.   Connected the Dual Beam directly to the System and the depth reading was correct but there was no side imaging information.  But the depth reading was correct.  Therefore the Dual Beam is working correctly.  I did not change the Transducer Select to Dual Beam.

5.   Connected the Side Imaging Sonar to the Y cable and to the System.  The depth reading was over 900 feet (very wrong).

6.   Remove the Side Imaging Sonar from the Y cable and connected the Dual Beam Sonar to the Y cable and the depth reading was correct.  Did not change the Transducer Select to Dual Beam.

FYI: I have replace the Y Cable before and the unit seems too worked fine for a while (Or maybe I was not paying attention).  Well, I am confuse about what all these means.  Any help is welcome.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:31:01 AM »
Hi Rickie,

I finally got to the water to test the Hummingbird side imaging wrong reading problem, here are my test and results:

1.   With the Y Cable, Side Imaging Sonar, Dual Beam connected and the Transducer set to Hi-Def Sidescan, the depth readout is erroneous.  The readout is 2.9Feet and I know it is not.

This is the expected case as in the original post
-------

2.   Knowing that the Dual Beam sensor is mounted on the bilge of the boat, I added water to the bilge to fill any possible air bubbles on the epoxy and with the same setting as above.  Still have the same faulty reading.

This indicates bad in hull xducer or bad AS SIDB Y cable
---------

3.   Remove the Y cable and connected the Side Imaging Sonar cable directly to the System.  The depth reading was correct.  Unit worked corrected for a long period of time, therefore the Side Imaging Sensor is working correctly.

This is good process of elimination still pointing to in hull xducer or AS SIDB Y cable
-------

4.   Connected the Dual Beam directly to the System and the depth reading was correct but there was no side imaging information.  But the depth reading was correct.  Therefore the Dual Beam is working correctly.  I did not change the Transducer Select to Dual Beam.

This is good process of elimination now pointing to AS SIDB Y cable...(there would be no SI with just the Dual Beam connected)
-------

5.   Connected the Side Imaging Sonar to the Y cable and to the System.  The depth reading was over 900 feet (very wrong).

This is expected with no xducer connected to the "Dual Beam" leg of the AS SIDB Y cable because depth comes from the 2d piezo and you had nothing connected to the leg of the AS SIDB Y cable that would give 2d
-----------

6.   Remove the Side Imaging Sonar from the Y cable and connected the Dual Beam Sonar to the Y cable and the depth reading was correct.  Did not change the Transducer Select to Dual Beam.

This one is unexpected as all above tests indicated a bad "Dual Beam" leg of the AS SIDB Y cable

FYI: I have replace the Y Cable before and the unit seems too worked fine for a while (Or maybe I was not paying attention).  Well, I am confuse about what all these means.  Any help is welcome.

1 more test before buying another AS SIDB Y cable ... Connect the HDSI to the "Dual Beam" leg of the AS SIDB Y cable and test for depth readings ...
*If no depth readings then the "Dual Beam" leg of the AS SIDB Y cable is definitely bad ...
*If there is depth readings ... We will have to figure something else out ...
-------

One other point ... Make sure the connectors snap together all the way ... Sometimes they are difficult

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo