Author Topic: 998c update software problem  (Read 14594 times)

Offline Bassman13579

• Unit(s): 998c SI
998c update software problem
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
After updating the software everytime the unit is powered on it ask do I want to replace updated software 7.xx to 6.xx ? I restored defaults before updating and after updating. I deleted the Nav data after problem showed up. I inserted updated card (Purchased from Humminbird) in unit before powering on. The unit powered up and asked if I wanted to replace 6.xx with 7.xx chose yes then unit asked if wanted to abort chose no. Unit started download when complete it restarted on its own and after powered all the way on removed sd card.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: 998c update software problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »
Not sure I understand your quesion/issue......Also, you said you purchased and update card from Humminbird?
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:17:26 PM »
Yes I just purchased the card this week. It was a 7.xx software. My unit has a 6.xx software. I carried my 998c to bass pro shops and they tried to download new software but they could not. I called humminbird last week and ordered a software update card with the 7.xx on it. Card arrived today in the mail. I plugged why 998c up on my bass boat and powered up. I restored the factory defaults and powered the unit off. I then power up 998c and inserted card and got a message do you want to download 7.xx. Checked yes then asked do I want to abort answered no. Download started and when it finished the unit shutdown on its own and then restarted. When unit was powered all the way up I then removed the software card from humminbird. I inserted my Navionics card and got a message do I want to download software from 7.xx to 6.xx. I shutdown the unit and removed Navionics card and restarted. Unit started up with no message. When I inserted the Navionics card the unit again asked if I wanted to revert back to 6.xx from 7.xx

Offline Bob B

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »
It sounds like somehow your Navionics card got the old software on it ..... It's a good idea to always have your mapping card write protected so you don't inadvertently write to it. 

You'd have to look at the Navionics card with your file explorer and see if the .bin file is on there.  If it is, you can try to delete that file from the card, but you are risking corrupting the Navionics card .....If it already isn't.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »
P.S.  In my mind, it is kind of risky having a BP rep update your unit ..... You may or may not get someone who knows what they are doing.

You should be able to download the update from your Humminbird account and do it yourself .... I guess you were having trouble getting that to work.

It is a good idea to keep a folder on your computer with your previous software releases.... then if there is something you don't like, you can always go back to the old software.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:42:35 PM »
Thanks for your help. My iPad doesn't have the capability to read/write. That's why I tried bass pro and eventually bought an updated card from humminbird. I checked my Navionics card an yes it was not locked so I guess I have software update on card. Don't know how card got unlocked. I never unlocked it so I never thought to check.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
Thinking over the problem last night, I didn't insert Navionics card till after download was completed and the unit shut down then back on. Then I powered the unit off and inserted Navionics card and powered on. So the 7.xx was downloaded and complete, so how could just inserting Navionics card into unit cause message to pop up? Even after I answer question no and scroll thru the views and main menu there are New readings now.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
It does appear that the 7.xx software installed successfully........But, if you insert a card with a software update on it .... when the unit sees the .bin file, it will ask if you want to install that software unless it is the same software that is already on the unit.

In this case you would be removing the new 7.xx software release and re-installing the the old 6.xx software.

It seems that the 6.xx software release is on the Navionics card and you need to get it off of there or quit using that card.....otherwise you are going to eventually accidentally re-install the old software.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »
Just talked to humminbird about problem. They said version 7.xx is the software on the unit now and if I tried to revert back to 6.xx it would not because version 7.xx is the only version in unit right now.
Yes if the Navionics card has version 6.xx on it and I insert card then I would get message do I want to revert back to 6.xx. What troubles me is there is no way software could have been downloaded onto Navionics card. I only inserted Navionics card after 7.xx update was finished and I had removed the update card. Even if sd card was locked our not locked the unit only reads from card when inserted it doesn't write from card. Case in point I have left my Navionics card in unit since 2010. The only time I have removed the card is for 2 updates then I put the Navionics card back in. When I go fishing and turn unit on it only READS from card. So inserting the card after update is complete the unit only READS from card. Humminbird said possible problem is new version 7.xx might be giving me message or my Navionics card being 6 years old now with no updates could be problem so they said to download 6.xx back into humminbird and see if message goes away. I could be wrong about Navionics card not writing but I researched sd card and there isn't any time that I inserted Navionics card to do update which would be the only time I can figure Navionics card could have been written to. I'm not 100% sure about this though. I need more brains than I have (which isn't hard to do) to explain this for me. I thank everyone for there help I really need it

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
By the way the unit even with message showing up and I select no to revert back seems to be find. All my screens are loaded and menus have updated with some new ones. Can only check unit in water to see if I still have contour lines in lake maps then I will no that Navionics card is still good

Offline Bob B

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
Before you do anything else with that Navionics card, you need to take the it to someone who can view the card with a file explorer and see what is on there.....You need to find out if that .bin file is on there .... I wouldn't do it at BP

There is no way the unit wrote an old software release to the Navionics card .... I don't know what may have happened to the card while you had the unit at BP.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
I removed Navionics card before I went to bass pro so nothing was downloaded on it there. If something got downloaded on Navionics card it was something I did but I don't see how.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Is that the only mapping card you have?  You could try another mapping card or just another bland SD card to see if the unit is somehow getting confused thinking the update is on the card when it isn't ..... but I have never hear of an issue like that.

Or, you could put that card in another unit and see what happens.....it would have to be the same model unit.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »
Bob is giving good advice ...

You also can take your Navionics card to Bass Pro and test the Navionics card in one of their demo units ...

*Power off their demo unit ...
*Power on the demo unit ...
*Press "Menu" during the HB splash screen ...
*Choose "Simulator" from the 3 choices ...
*Right cursor to activate Simulator ...
*Insert your Navionics card ...

Does the demo unit get the same update notification as your unit ...??

(Remember to remove your Navionics card from the demo unit and power cycle the demo unit to get their demo unit back into "Demo Simulator") ...

Rickie

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »
Yes this Navionics card is the only mapping card I have. I purchased it in 2010 and it has been in 998c unit for 6 years.
That's a good idea about going to bass pro and see if message appears on one of there units.
Also found computer I can use. Planning on using file manager and see if card has any bin files on it.
If Navionics card does have bin files do I delete them ?
I wanted to load my boat up and go to River and see if I still gave my contour lines and screen views. If everything is find do I just live with everytime I power unit on selecting no to message. I'm afraid if card is good then I delete bin files then the Navionics card could be no good ?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »
If there is a .bin file on the Navionics card ...it would be a good idea to contact Navionics and have them walk you thru the steps of deleting the proper stuff from the Navionics card without deleting the wrong files ...

Navionics would know what stuff "should" reside on their mapping card ... HB would not know those Navionics files ...

This is the only like issue I've read of ever seeing the update notification popup with a Navionics card being installed ...something is amiss on your specific Navionics card ... Cross testing on a demo unit at BPS can verify if the issue is on the Navionics card ... 

Then if it proves the Navionics map card is corrupt = Navionics can help you get your map card fixed = then you should no longer see the update notification popup ...

So ... No ... Don't live with it ... Verify if the map card is corrupt and then call Navionics ...
----
----

You can view you mapping card data (and Mark waypoints) on the unit Chart views in Simulator mode without going to the lake ...

Rickie

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:49:25 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 05:11:37 PM »
That's a good point calling Navionics. Didn't think about that. I have humminbird on the brain !!
Yes they would possibly know of this happening with there cards before if not maybe they could talk me through it over the phone how to repair. I feel good about that. Yes I have a blank sd card. I will try that first and see if it gives same message. If message appears then I can format sd card in my canon camera since I don't have a computer. Then try card after formatting and see if message goes away. I will post the answer to what solved problem so if someone else has the same problem one day they will have a way to fix it. This is one good site !! I have only been on here for maybe a month and had 2 problems. Everyone has been so helpful and knowledgable in trying to help me resolve my problems. I love to learn and thru these problems I have a better understanding of my unit. Thanks Bob B and rnvicn ! I really appreciate y'alls help.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »
Update:
Took boat to river today. Powered up 998c unit. It asked again if I wanted to revert back to 6.xx from 7.xx  selected no. HB unit had Navionics card installed in unit upon start up. Now is where the trouble started. The lake map loaded and showed all the conture lines of the lake I was on. The side imaging, down imaging etc.. doesn't work. Screen just toggled thru all the views but nothing was there or wasn't working. I chalked it up to bad Navionics card but on the way home I was thinking what could cause this. Even if Navionics card was bad that shouldn't have anything to do with side imaging or down imaging. I thought if I had taken card out of unit and powered up that all the sonar readings should work. Did going from 6.xx to 7.xx somehow lost the view of side imaging, down imaging etc..

Offline Bob B

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
Did you reset defaults after the update?

The Navionics card isn't going to cause that ..... it would be something causing a transducer issue. 

I think you need to find someone in your area who knows the Humminbird stuff that can give you some help.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
Yes I reset defaults.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
I replaced the transducer. The unit was starting up then it would say no transducer connected. Ordered new one and installed. Unit worked find all spring until Navionics card problems.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 01:33:37 AM »
Do you have any news from Navionics about possible corruption in the Navionics card ... ??

Rickie

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
Calling Navionics today. I wanted to try card first and see what worked and didn't work. Also I can tell them what just happened on the water with unit and see if they have run across this problem before. I think HB unit is find. The unit ran good all spring after installing new transducer. The problem only showed up when Navionics card got corrupted.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
Just got off the phone with Navionics. Walked them thru all that has transpired with 998c unit from new transducer to updating 7.xx software and everything in between.They seem to think that the new 7.xx update software is the problem. They recommended for me to call Humminbird.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
We're you able to test your Navionics card in another unit ...at Bass Pro or other big box store ... ??

Rickie

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Haven't tried that at bass pro yet. Explain to me what I'm looking for by doing this. I'm I looking for the demo unit at bass pro acting like my unit when powered on trying to revert back to 6.xx from 7.xx ?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
Haven't tried that at bass pro yet. Explain to me what I'm looking for by doing this. I'm I looking for the demo unit at bass pro acting like my unit when powered on trying to revert back to 6.xx from 7.xx ?

Correct ... If the demo unit gives the same popup about updating software ... We know the Navionics card has been corrupted somehow ...

Can you insert the Navionics card into your PC and open it to see the files on the card ... ??

Rickie

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 10:45:58 AM »
Went to bass pro shops yesterday and they tried my Navionics card in 2 different helix units. Didn't get message to revert from 7.xx to 6.xx  Jeremy at bass pro thought the Navionics card was find since it worked in 2 different units. He was thinking the problem was in humminbird update to 7.xx  He offered to talk to humminbird so I placed a call and after a hour finally got a tech. I had called humminbird earlier this morning and waited for another hour before getting a person so I was getting aggravated with humminbird to say the least. I explained what we just did and also what message I was getting at home on 998c unit. He told me he didn't think it was the humminbird update. He wanted me to hook up the 998c on the boat at home and call back. I said that I wasn't going to call back an wait another hour.  He said that he would call me at 4:30 so I agreed. I went home and he called at 4:30 and ask that I restore defaults and select advanced on menu screens. I did and restarted and he had me check the software which was 7.xx  He had me insert Navionics card an when I did the message appeared to revert from 7.xx to 6.xx. He had me to select view that shows the entire area or lake that would have all the conture lines on. He then said to insert Navionics card again and the message appeared. He had me select no to revert back then if view was showing maps loading which it was. Maps loaded an the lay lake map updated with all the conture lines. He then said Navionics card had the humminbird update software on it. He said that I could just answer no to message everytime I used unit or call Navionics to see if they could walk me through deleting humminbird update off of Navionics card.
The other problem with the unit not showing side-imaging, down-imaging etc.. Turn out to be my transducer selection being set to Dual Beam Plus that I needed to select High Def side-imaging that this selection shows all three views (side, down, sonar)

Offline Bob B

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
I would have thought resetting defaults would have reverted the unit back to the correct transducer selection.

We still need to have someone look at that Navionics card with a file explorer to see if the update .bin file is on there.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
Will call Navionics Monday and see if they can walk me thru fixing the Navionics card.
I selected dual beam plus transducer after unit powered up.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 11:27:08 PM »
Whew ... !!

Stay the course ... I know it's aggravating ... But you're getting there ... One troubleshooting step at a time ...

Rickie

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
Yes I think we have her treed now we just need to shoot her. Calling Navionics Tuesday and get those bin files took off. Will post results

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 06:45:06 PM »
Talked to Navionics today. They said that I could read card then open Navionics folder and delete .bin files. I asked if I do this would it fix Navionics card. I was told it might fix it but it might also render card bad. My problem is the card as of now works but I will get message do I want to revert from 7.xx to 6.xx. All I have to do is select no and my chart maps work but if I delete the bin files I might damage the card. After talking to Navionics and not getting a sure fire way to fix the card and due to the cost of having to buy a new one if deleting the bin files doesn't work I believe my best choice is to just live with message. If someone on this site is very knowledgable and can assure me how to delete files and that it want render my card bad then I would listen to what your advise would be. If not then I will just live with message.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
There is the option of using the Navionics update card ($99). process ...its a little cheaper than a regular Navionics map card ($199) ...

You buy the Navionics update card, connect to the Navionics website and use your old card to activate the new Navionics update card  ...

You will then have access to the Sonar Charts upload (user derived contour data layer) ...and you will have Freshest Updates for one year ...

http://www.navionics.com/en/navionics-updates

Rickie

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Well today I got my hands on a laptop. Opened Navionics card and found the bin files for the Humminbird update. I deleted them. Carried 998c unit out to boat and connected it up. Powered unit up and put in simulator mode. Selected full chart screen and inserted Navionics card. The charts loaded and went to home lake and all the contour lines were there. Used 4 way cursor and went to another lake and all the contour lines were there. Powered unit off and with the Navionics card still installed powered back up. NO MESSAGE !! Hallelujah !!  Unit is working with no message and has the 7.xx software installed. This problem has a long reply to get to the correct fix but if someone else has the same problem they will have a post to show how to correct problem. There really is a wealth of knowledgable people on this site. I'm thankful for the help that everyone suggested. I really do appreciate it.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
Glad you got it resolved ..... That seemed like the most likely cause of the problem. 

I'll bet the units at BP weren't the 998 .... The unit will only display that message if it recoginizes the update to be the correct on for that unit .... for instance and 999 or Helix would not display the message.

Offline Bassman13579

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 05:23:47 PM »
Your correct. To check it would need to be another 998c Humminbird unit

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo