Author Topic: dual HD side imaging and dual beam transducer set up quirks  (Read 9359 times)

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
I have my 1199si set up with twin port and starboard  HD SI imaging transducers and  a dual beam 200/83 with all the correct cabling as it works great. BUT.... If I menu select the 180HD  transducer selection and power down the unit...then power it back up...the unit will will dispaly "no transducer found" . I then have to power down the unit hook up the single dual  beam transducer and power up the unit ...then it properly connects  up the transducer as I have to re-select the transducer to "compact side imaging transducer" or "hd side imaging transducer"  I then power down the unit and re power it up and it connects all 3 transducers only if I selected "compact side imaging"!  The point I'm making here is if you power down the 1199si with a 3 transducer set up with the "hd 180 transducer" selected in the menu, it wont recognize any transducer as being connected to the unit if you power it up again.  If one selects "compact transducer"  and power down the unit and then power up the unit all is normal.....weird. Once you get the unit to connected to all 3 tranducers you can then select "hd side imaging transducer" but you have to switch back to "compact side imqging " if you want to  power down and re-power  up without the unit telling you "no transducer" connected. If  that makes any sense.    LMAO..I must add this is nice set but expensive set-up   but you have to  put the 2 HD side imaging transducers as the out board tranducers  with no other tranducer in the way. ...you will get no interference! I like it too as iut provides  a true 83 frequency with the dual beam transducer  as differenct from a computer generated 83 if you just used a single  HD  or compact side image transducer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:58:38 AM by fishreed »

Offline mike fish

• Unit(s): 798ci HD SI, 899, 999, 999
Re: dual HD side imaging and dual beam transducer set up quirks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »
Do you have a picture of setup and some screen shots with this? Would be nice to see detail your are getting. Thanks.

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
I'm up on Lac Seul, Ontario  at the moment, but I will get you a pic as soon as I reurn home. I am getting fantastic images...on this 3 transducer set up....

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »
Something is amiss here ...

The AS SIDB Y cable and the AS SILR Y cable are merely wire cables detouring the wire channels ...

There are no ID functions in the cables (nor in HB core unit xducers) which would interfere with a startup popup of no xducer connected ...(only the ONIX 14pin xducers have xducer ID detection channels)

The only criteria/function that creates the "No xducer connected" popup (in HB core xducers) is the unit tic(ing) the Temp probe upon boot up to determine if if a return tic from the Temp probe is detected ...to determine that a xducer is, in fact connected ...

Try testing the right HDSI connected directly to the unit to see if the unit boots properly by sensing the Temp probe in the right HDSI (which is the connected Temp channel in your cabling Setup) ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:51:22 PM by rnvinc »

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:12:18 AM »
Rickie...I will try that tomorrow....what happens if it boots up Ok with the rightside transducer connected directly to the 1199si?  ...or what happens if it doesn't? Does that mean my temp sensor isn't working on the starboard/right side transducer? Why would it boot up OK if I had the compact transducer selected in the menu and it wouldn't boot up if I selected  the HD transducer? I concur with you on my  cabling set up as it is wired correctly as it shouldn't matter with my correct cabling set-up. Rickie, it gives one helluva nice high resolution view and you don't have to worry about a blocked view when you have 2 separate and dedicated HD transducers shooting to the port and starboard side. I have  the dual beam 83/200 inboard of the starboard side HD transducer. In board of the port side HD transducer,  I have a Quadrabeam 83/200/455  which is connected and supported by my 899si unit as a back-up.  Most times I use the 899si strictly as a plotter with the sonar turned off. It is an excellent set-up and I'm glad I did it that way but it did get expensive.

Offline born 2 fish

• Unit(s): 1199 898
  • Software: 7.460/6.49
  • Accessories: I-PILOT LINK
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
I'm running the same set up with my 1199 and it works flawlessly every time. Somthing has to be going on in your connections somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:40:43 PM by born 2 fish »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
Rickie...I will try that tomorrow....what happens if it boots up Ok with the rightside transducer connected directly to the 1199si?  ...or what happens if it doesn't? Does that mean my temp sensor isn't working on the starboard/right side transducer? Why would it boot up OK if I had the compact transducer selected in the menu and it wouldn't boot up if I selected  the HD transducer? I concur with you on my  cabling set up as it is wired correctly as it shouldn't matter with my correct cabling set-up. Rickie, it gives one helluva nice high resolution view and you don't have to worry about a blocked view when you have 2 separate and dedicated HD transducers shooting to the port and starboard side. I have  the dual beam 83/200 inboard of the starboard side HD transducer. In board of the port side HD transducer,  I have a Quadrabeam 83/200/455  which is connected and supported by my 899si unit as a back-up.  Most times I use the 899si strictly as a plotter with the sonar turned off. It is an excellent set-up and I'm glad I did it that way but it did get expensive.

If the unit boots correctly with the right HDSI connected directly to the head unit, I would suspect the AS SILR Y cable is bad (the Temp channel from the head unit is directed thru the Right SI leg of the AS SILR Y cable) ...

It still doesn't make sense that the unit boots correctly with a different Connected Transducer selection ...

Rickie

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:53:06 AM »
I connected  the right side transducer directly to my 1199si and it booted up perfect so that means I have no transducer problem.  I can't figure why it won't boot up with the HD transducer selected on the 1199si head unit and both HD SI transducers connected  since even the compact side imaging transducer has a temperature probe. I will run a continuity check on the SILR-Y cable. I think I will connect my extra  compact SI Transducer to the right side lug of the SILR-Y cable and see if it boots up with the left side HD transducer.
I will get back with you guys on what I came up with.......but it does give one helluva  perfect side image when I do use it!  It might be a broken Temp wire on that cable but it still doesn't explain why it boots up perfect when I select the compact SI on the head unit since the compact TD has a temp sensor and the head unit wouldn't know the difference between the two transducers as far as for booting up without a "no transducer detected". I still can't get over how darn clear the SI imaging with 2 dedicated transducers instead of one....and the duaL beam 200/83 transducer handling the 2 D imaging is just a  frosting on the cake BONUS....I highly recommend this 3 TD set up if you are looking for maximim cabability. I wonder if it will work with a Helix 12,  which I will have by next year?

Thinking about it...I think I will just buy another SILR-Y cable and see if that  elimnates the problem...if it does, I will send the bad cable back to Humminbird for a replacement and then sell the replacement  since I won't need 2 of them. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:23:45 AM by fishreed »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo