Author Topic: Connect AS-PC2 directly to Matrix 97 accessory bus.  (Read 6826 times)

Offline wolfgrw

• Unit(s): Matrix 97
Connect AS-PC2 directly to Matrix 97 accessory bus.
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
Hi!
I've been reading a lot of posts concerning NMEA output, but i just got confused. Why don't anyone obtains the NMEA post processed data by connecting the AS-PC2 cable to Accessory Bus on the Head Unit? I read on a 2009 post that it would work, but afer that i read a lot of posts that say that cutting cables and removing caps from the GPS receiver are the way to go. Can anyone help?.
Thx and regards!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:21:04 AM by wolfgrw »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Connect AS-PC2 directly to Matrix 97 accessory bus.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
It all depends on what NMEA data you want and how you want to collect it.
 - If all you want is water depth and water temperature (no location data) than you can plug the AS-PC2 PC Connect cable right up the your Matrix 97 unit and obtain the data that way.  This can be done while on the water or from a sonar recording.
 - If you want ‘live’ water depth/water temperature plus location data, than you will have to either make a sonar recording while on the water (with the GPS Receiver connected) and play it back later using the PC Connect cable or you will have to cut and splice the PC Connect cable onto the NMEA pigtail wire.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline wolfgrw

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Hi!
1 - So there is no "post processed" gps location coming out of the accessory bus, right?
2 - From what i've read the "white wire" on the GPS receiver pigtail (the loose end of the "Y" cable that comes from the) has all the nmea signals "live", right?
Sorry for all the questions but my english becomes a bit stuck on technical writing/reading.
The pigtail is the loose end of the Y cable, is this correct? All i have to do is to cut the AS-PC2 cable and connect black to black and white to white insulating the red and green ones, right?
Thx for the reply!

Best regards!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
1 – Yes there is, but it depends on which connection you use or have.  There have been two versions of cables for the GPS Receivers we have made: the oldest one has a Red, White and Black wire.  The White/Black connections are post processed NMEA data and contain the water depth plus water temperature along with the NMEA positioning data.  If you have one with the newer cable, it will have a Green, White and Black wire.  The White/Black combination gives the same post processed data while the Green/Black sends out a live feed from the GPS Receiver and it will not have any post processed data (No water depth or water temperature).

2 – See above and the drawings I’ve attached.  You want the Green wire connection (If you GPS Receiver has it) for live data; but this will not have water depth/temperature with it.

Offline wolfgrw

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
Can you tell me that if i connect the AS-PC2 cable to this portila_rendered, it will send all the nmea data out?
What's the difference between the "live" gps position data that comes on the green wire and the one that is post processed, besides the $GP/$IN prefix.
I want the nmea data out to a laptop with MAXSEA software, so i think the prefix won't matter, but that's just me... :)
Thx again!

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »
That arrow looks like it's pointing to the power/ground plug. remove the cover beside the transducer connector and that will be the accessory plug(middle right).
From what I was told, the difference between the live and prefixed NMEA output is the prefixed one will output depth along with gps coordinates.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
That arrow looks like it's pointing to the power/ground plug. remove the cover beside the transducer connector and that will be the accessory plug(middle right).
From what I was told, the difference between the live and prefixed NMEA output is the prefixed one will output depth along with gps coordinates.

Correct-a-mundo LocDown.

Offline wolfgrw

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »
You're right, my mistake, i've confirmed it already.
Thank you for your replies. I'll test this as soon as i get the forsaken "serial to usb" adapter! :(
Hope my testing will help you to!
Best regards to all!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo