Author Topic: Greg ? on AS GR HS  (Read 32069 times)

Offline Jim Jack

• My electronics cost more than my BMT
  • Unit(s): 998
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: AS-WX1, AS GPS-HS
Greg ? on AS GR HS
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
I was looking at the HB site and noticed 2 gps receivers AS GRP and AS GR HS. Are these new products? I'm very interested in the AS GR HS.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Greg ? on AS GR HS
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »
I don’t have a lot of information on it right now.  According to the catalog it is a GPS Receiver with a heading sensor in it (hence the “HS” designation).
Where did you find it on the Humminbird web site?  I did not think that they have released any information on this accessory yet.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
http://store.humminbird.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=604403

It was the heading sensor that caught my eye.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
The new products and accessories are being added to the web site so be patient for any additional information.  I saw the AS-GRP info but managed to ignore the little drop down arrow which shows the AS-GR-HS…

The AS-GRP is basically the next version of standard GPS Receiver for us.  The specs should run about the same as the AS-GR50.
The AS-GR-HS is a GRP with a heading sensor.

Not sure what you are wanting to know beyond that.

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
Well, I was a little confused since it did not have a manual. I was more wondering if these were actual new products or products headed for the legacy bin.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
Greg,
What is a heading sensor, a compass?

Also, will it get rid of the doughnut at speeds below .5 mph?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »
Good questions ITG.  I don’t know any official answers for them but will take shot:

I think it could be used as a compass if it does not have one in it.  A heading Sensor (as I understand it) will point the direction that the bow is pointing, but not necessarily the direction of travel (course).

I am guessing but don’t see why it would not work at low speeds or when stationary.  If it can communicate a direction to the unit than the unit should not be showing the red circle that indicates it cannot determine the course of the boat.

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
Thanks for the info Greg.
So, if it shows you what direction the bow is pointing, does
that mean that when you install the puck, it has an arrow or
some type of mark on it which you rotate to set to
point straight ahead?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »
Good questions ITG.  I don’t know any official answers for them but will take shot:

I think it could be used as a compass if it does not have one in it.  A heading Sensor (as I understand it) will point the direction that the bow is pointing, but not necessarily the direction of travel (course).

I am guessing but don’t see why it would not work at low speeds or when stationary.  If it can communicate a direction to the unit than the unit should not be showing the red circle that indicates it cannot determine the course of the boat.

Hmmm.... I wonder.... ::)

Rickie

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
Good question.  My Garmin eTrex Vista GPS unit (hand held type) has a built in electronic compass and when you install new batteries in the unit you have to calibrate the compass to make it accurate.  You calibrate the compass by turning slowing one direction until the unit tells you to stop. This allows the unit to calibrate itself as to which way is North. 

But I'll tell you this, the unit still can't tell exactly where it's at when you are going less than 2 mph to 10 mph as it's limited in the accuracy of the GPS system.  It's only accurate to plus or minus 10 ft at best and that's using WAAS.  Unless you move faster and cover more than 10 ft every update cycle it can't figure out exactly where it is or where it's going or where it's been.

There is a reason they publish accuracy charts with the unit sitting still in one spot.  They plot the locations given by the unit on a grid and the position is all over the grid.  Position can vary even if the unit is sitting in one spot for hours at a time. This is due to the inerrant inaccuracy of GPS.  This is something YOU CAN'T IGNORE.  It's a fact of life when using these retail type GPS units. 

So the donut will still be an issue at very slow speeds.  You may know which direction the bow is pointed but the boat could be going backwards so which way will the arrow be pointing towards?  What if the bow is pointing into the wind and you are drifting backwards?  Will the new GPS antenna tell the display which way the bow is pointing or which way the boat is drifting?  Say you have a drift sock out off the bow and there is a strong wind pushing the boat backwards. 

This is a move towards trying to solve this problem but it's not going to substitute for a more accurate GPS system. A more accurate GPS system is what is needed to correct for the (DONUT=Inaccuracy or unknown position) red circle icon.

It would be cost prohibitative to provide a more accurate GPS system so this is a way to try to at least tell us which way the antenna is pointed.  But which way does a CIRCLE Point towards?  A circle is never ending with no beginning and no end!   So the little Red Rotating Circle Icon will have to be replaced with a pointing arrow or pointer of some kind on the Humminbird screen.   

This is an attempt by Johnson Controls to add some more features to the Humminbird GPS system.    But you are still going to get plotting errors if you let your unit sit in one spot for 48 hours.  The plot of your position will still be a SCATTER PLOT and not a single point like some want.  The width and breath of the scatter plot will be plus or minu 10 ft or  plus or minus 3 meter @95% of the time and the other 5% of the time it could be off by more than 10 ft or 3 meters in any direction. 

Make your own scatter plot someday.  Just write down the readings that your gps unit gives you ever 15 minutes for a 48 hour period of time.  Plot the locations on a piece of graph paper that's to proper scale.  You will see for yourself how the accuracy of most all GPS units vary over time.   

point straight ahead?
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
Every heading sensor I have seen installed in a boat was for use with the radar.

Moose, you are incorrectly stating the specs for gps accuracy published by HB for the GR50. 50% of 24hr scatter plot is within 3.3', 95% of the time within 10', this means that 5% of the time it can be off by more than 10'. This does not mean that every plot is off 10' or even off 3.3'. If they output position from HB unit and not directly from the gps this means that there are 86,400 plots in that test ( I believe NMEA output from head unit is 1hz), if they did it at the 4hz of the GR50 then there were 346,400 plots in that 24hr period. This means that at least 43,300 points fit in 6.6' box centered on the receiver, and could have been as many as 123,200 points. So any way you slice it the vast majority of plots were less than 10' from actual position and the majority of plots are less than 5' off. I understand the time variable that would allow for a plot to be dead accurate then the very next plot be outside the 10'.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
point straight ahead?

I don’t know ITG.  It would have to wouldn’t it?  It has to have some means to be able to know what direction the boat is pointing versus the direction it is pointing.

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »
I'm wondering how Humminbird can be so much more accurate?  Most all specs state Plus or minus 3 meter with WAAS and ten meters without WAAS. 

But still if it's only accurate to plus or minus 5 ft that's still a ten ft discrepancy. And I was talking about how the GPS accuracy is needed to tell us which way we are going when going very slow.  It's still problematic for anyone trying to follow a drop off contour line on a digital map while slow trolling for crappie. 

I could make some screen shots of what I'm talking about. Trolling a breakline where the digital maps shows my boat icon on a 10 ft contour line and my depth finder showing that it's 20 ft deep.  So which way should I troll to get back to where it's only 10 ft deep and how far do I have to go to find the ten ft deep water again?  That's my delima when fishing a break line for crappie or bass. 

I do think that the 360 sensor should help solve this problem as I'll be able to see ahead of my boat in real time while also seeing all around the boat at the same time.  Then I should be able to actually see the break line feature and follow it more accurately.

But then the map won't really be that much help.

Every heading sensor I have seen installed in a boat was for use with the radar.

Moose, you are incorrectly stating the specs for gps accuracy published by HB for the GR50. 50% of 24hr scatter plot is within 3.3', 95% of the time within 10', this means that 5% of the time it can be off by more than 10'. This does not mean that every plot is off 10' or even off 3.3'. If they output position from HB unit and not directly from the gps this means that there are 86,400 plots in that test ( I believe NMEA output from head unit is 1hz), if they did it at the 4hz of the GR50 then there were 346,400 plots in that 24hr period. This means that at least 43,300 points fit in 6.6' box centered on the receiver, and could have been as many as 123,200 points. So any way you slice it the vast majority of plots were less than 10' from actual position and the majority of plots are less than 5' off. I understand the time variable that would allow for a plot to be dead accurate then the very next plot be outside the 10'.

Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
I don’t know ITG.  It would have to wouldn’t it?  It has to have some means to be able to know what direction the boat is pointing versus the direction it is pointing.

I am thinking there may be an electronic compass in it which will "self calibrate" where the bow of the boat is heading while the boat is underway at speeds high enough to get an accurate GPS heading.......when the boat speed us too low to get an accurate GPS heading, the "calibrated" electronic compass would be used.
I hope Humminbird is using this to solve the much discussed donut....That would be GREAT!!
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
I have my theories on that Bob but I’m trying to get some type of official word before posting.

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
Moose, the 5' +- is from actual position so while 2 plots could be 10' apart neither is more than 5' from actual position 50% of the time. This is not really more accurate than most GPS receivers, 50% 3' CEP is the target for WAAS in the industry. The 95% +- 10' is like the way they report the beam angle of 455K SI, they report 86 degrees but the standard is to report the angle in which 10 db is found not the absolute coverage.

Agreed, heading from any gps at very low speeds is an educated guess. This because anything other than absolute accuracy of actual position has reported position errors in front, to left, to right, and behind the boat. Instead of a circle I would prefer a heading arrow that changed color from red (lowest confidence) to Yellow (mid confidence) to green (highest confidence).

Steady (I assume this will have +- 2 degree accuracy commonly found on affordable 3 axis tilt compensated magnetometers) heading info combined with course up map view should make slow speed navigation much easier if moving in the direction of the bow. Users that buy this gps with compass will have to understand that they can be floating backwards/sideways and the arrow will be pointing forward.

I think in your other posts on this you had issues with sounder not reporting the correct depth. Did you try increasing you surface clutter to 5 or above to smooth out the depth issue?

Bob, Greg,
The pictures show gps + compass words on the unit, so it is an electronic compass. Now is 2 axis/3 axis tilt compensated or tilt compensates at all, that is the question. We will have to wait to see if HB was able to negotiate a price for for the EC that was good enough to sell a 199.00 gps with HS that has the most expensive type of EC (self calibrating).

I'm not sure why you would need self calibrating, most electronic compasses (magnetometers) require nothing more than a performing  360 degree circle to calibrate.

Regards Jim

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
Jim.  We agree on the fact that the GPS accuracy still has a negative effect on the slow trollers

As to the depth issue.  I was not sure if the map contour line was off or the depth was off.  At first I figured it was the map.  But then I ran two humminbirds at the same time, one on each end of my boat. Then I figured the depth of the 898 was off by a factor of 2x.  But I still have to confirm if the two running together at the same time might have been causing the 2x depth readings.  I'll have to check that.  I've been out with the flu this past week.  I may go out tomorrow and do some fishing and  check out the depth readings.  I may also update the 898's firmware soon.  As to the surface clutter issue or setting. I have mine set to decrease the surface clutter to the max amount I can see on the graph.  I still get some surface clutter even when it's set to 1 or 10.  I can't recall if its set to 10 or 1. Which ever setting gave me the lowers returns or echoes on the surface is where it's set.  I would think that 5 is the middle and  that would not reduce the surface clutter as one of the two extreme settings.  Humminbird should rewrite their manual for the 898 and explain how the surface clutter setting is suppose to work in the manual.  I read the manual several times and never could figure out which settings to use for the less amount of surface clutter. I had to play with the unit while out on the water to see which settings gave me the least amount of surface clutter.  I did this while in max mode.  I don't have much surface clutter is the clear mode setting.

Moose, the 5' +- is from actual position so while 2 plots could be 10' apart neither is more than 5' from actual position 50% of the time. This is not really more accurate than most GPS receivers, 50% 3' CEP is the target for WAAS in the industry. The 95% +- 10' is like the way they report the beam angle of 455K SI, they report 86 degrees but the standard is to report the angle in which 10 db is found not the absolute coverage.

Agreed, heading from any gps at very low speeds is an educated guess. This because anything other than absolute accuracy of actual position has reported position errors in front, to left, to right, and behind the boat. Instead of a circle I would prefer a heading arrow that changed color from red (lowest confidence) to Yellow (mid confidence) to green (highest confidence).

Steady (I assume this will have +- 2 degree accuracy commonly found on affordable 3 axis tilt compensated magnetometers) heading info combined with course up map view should make slow speed navigation much easier if moving in the direction of the bow. Users that buy this gps with compass will have to understand that they can be floating backwards/sideways and the arrow will be pointing forward.

I think in your other posts on this you had issues with sounder not reporting the correct depth. Did you try increasing you surface clutter to 5 or above to smooth out the depth issue?

Bob, Greg,
The pictures show gps + compass words on the unit, so it is an electronic compass. Now is 2 axis/3 axis tilt compensated or tilt compensates at all, that is the question. We will have to wait to see if HB was able to negotiate a price for for the EC that was good enough to sell a 199.00 gps with HS that has the most expensive type of EC (self calibrating).

I'm not sure why you would need self calibrating, most electronic compasses (magnetometers) require nothing more than a performing  360 degree circle to calibrate.

Regards Jim

Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »
The lower the surface clutter # the less surface clutter seen on the screen from the top down. My 998 will sometimes show depth twice actual depth, you can see 2 bottoms on the screen. If I turn up the surface clutter it goes away. This only happens to me in water 10' deep or less.

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
OK then. I must have mine set to 1 now.
It may be that in shallow depths of less than ten ft deep the signal can bounce off a harder bottom twice.  Therefore the 2x depth readings on the second echo.  The boat's bottom reflects the bouncing first signal back down to the bottom again.   Iv'e seen this happen since the first little green box from Lowrance came out back in the late 1960's.  My dad bought one of those when they first came out on the market.  I had it in good working condition until around the mid 1980s and finally sold it to a guy.  He got a good deal to.  It would still be nice to have if one is ice fishing.  It ran on two 6 volt dry cell batteries.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline TroyBoy30

• Unit(s): 1198
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
Is this info from Doug not correct?

Looks like Humminbird is added a Special GPS Receiver as part of the 360 Imaging Standard Package...features Compass Correction for more precision!

----
Humminbird AS GPS HS Precision GPS Antenna w/Heading Sensor

AS GPS HS
Precision GPS Antenna w/Heading Sensor

See compass information and your boat's orientation while moving or sitting still with this integrated heading sensor and GPS antenna. (Standard with 360 Imaging™)
Provides accurate Course Over Ground (COG) reading and position fixes within 2.5M, even in lower signal areas.
When used with 360 Imaging, provides the ability to mark accurate waypoints anywhere on the screen.

Available 10/26/12

MSRP: $199.99

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
To answer your question: No, the information that Doug posted is correct.  In the description for the 360 Imaging accessory on the Humminbird web site it states: “This product includes the AS GPS HS (GPS Receiver with Heading Sensor.”
http://store.humminbird.com/products/526049/360_Imaging

Offline TroyBoy30

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
So the question now is, can I add it to my 1198 to get rid of the donut

Offline Bob B

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
We'll have to wait and see about the donut.  As Moose1am indicated earlier, there will be situations where the direction the boat is pointed will not be the direction the boat is moving.  This would be true for most drift or controlled drift situations.

I think the primary purpose will be to help correct the deviation between the 360 and a person fishing from the bow of a boat....just guessing here.  Hoping it will also solve most of the donut situations.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
It will be iinteresting to see how HB provides compass headings with GPS information while the boat is sitting still. All boats should have a magnetic compass just for times when the GPS is "wandering".
I guess this will be interesting to wait for the new "stuff" and see.

Chuck   

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
I'm thinking that this new GPS antenna has a built in compass in it somehow.   But if the boat's not moving which way will the compass point?  If it's setup to point towards the Bow's direction then if your drifting backwards the donut icon would be the way to go. As you still don't know where you are exactly and you won't know which way your going as you are not really going, your still sitting still in one spot.  Still the dounut should be shown on the map view with an accuracy of plus or minus 3 meters or less if you get a good number of satellite signals and the predicted accurcy is lower than 3 meters.
I think that the real question with the donut is how do you use the humminbird unit to follow a break line when slow trolling for crappie or walleye or any other fish species that requires very slow trolling speeds.  The GPS alone can't really tell you where you are and which way your going at these very slow speeds.  Due to the accuracy limitations of GPS itself. 
But, I think that if you have the Humminbird 360 hooked up with the electronic compass you won't really need the map anymore.  You can just view the 360's screen and see where the ledge is and follow it with great accuracy.   The accuracy of the depth finder is about 6" or maybe less.  So you don't have to worry about the accuracy of the ranges using sonar.
The 360's an expensive way to solve the donut problem for slow troller's but technology has it's limitations and fixing those limitations is not always cheap.   
Still I believe that the Humminbird 360 is going to revolutionize the way we fish in the future.   
Back in 1976  George Pazik, Editor & Publisher of Fishing Facts Magazine, published an artticle about depth sounders.  In that article he discussed a study that was being conducted by the Minnesota DNR where they feared that the new Sonars using graphs would endanger the fish population.  They were considering banning this then new Paper Graphs or LCR  type graph recorders until they studied the issue further.  I wonder what the Minnesota DNA and other States will think about the new Humminbird 360 technology?  I mean right now with this technology we can actually see the fish around the boat in REAL TIME and even follow a school of fish as long as they stay within range of the sonar unit.   I can see how this would help me follow a big school of crappie that are suspending out in the "CONFINED OPEN WATER" and swimming around the lake.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Bob B

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
The I-Pilot link will be the best solution for slow trolling a contour, but, like Chuck said......all these new toys are going to have a heavy impact on the wallet.

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »

Moose1am
    George Pazik-- Now there's a name from the past. Scary part of this is I remember that article.
    The 360 will have the potential to add some more frustration to the fishing.
    After its release (Roddy- I do think it's coming) and refinement, we should be able to point at the water
    and say that the fish are "right there".
    That still doesn't make them bite.

Someone will solve the puzzle of the slow speed/proper location/correct heading.

Mike

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
Moose1am
    George Pazik-- Now there's a name from the past. Scary part of this is I remember that article.
    The 360 will have the potential to add some more frustration to the fishing.
    After its release (Roddy- I do think it's coming) and refinement, we should be able to point at the water
    and say that the fish are "right there".
    That still doesn't make them bite.

Someone will solve the puzzle of the slow speed/proper location/correct heading.

Mike

Maybe not solved... But effectively addressed....

http://julien.cayzac.name/code/gps/

Some brands may choose to use such a tool.... Some never will...

Rickie

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:18:54 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
We know it is a gps with a compass, look at this picture.
http://www.imarineusa.com/humminbirdasgpshsprecisiongpsantennawithheadingsensor.aspx?gclid=CLv72dSo-bICFVGd4Aod-XIAOw

The compass will only know the difference between the strongest magnetic signal and it current reading of magnetic signal. The question is which way will the programing interpret and display boat movement in relation to the strongest magnetic signal. It's intended purpose seems to be for the 360 so I would guess that it will always display the direction the bow is pointing.

Offline viper200

• Unit(s): 998,1199,360
  • Software: 7.090,7.020,2.030
  • Accessories: NMEA2K,Ethernet
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
My .02$ well from what I have learned about nav. aids you have a compass that show you 360 deg that you are looking at. And GPS shows speed but with speed you get the direction you are moving towards COG. Compass and GPS are like apples and oranges a compass just points thats all.

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »

That Algorithm is BS. 
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline viper200

• Unit(s): 998,1199,360
  • Software: 7.090,7.020,2.030
  • Accessories: NMEA2K,Ethernet
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
All I have to say is the key word in the new antenna is Head SENSOR.  The sensor only cares what direction the bow is pointing had nothing to do with speed. Sorry if you don't like fruit. :D
Place a boat on a river that has a tide running North at 3 knots and point the bow east. If the sensor is set up to show what direction the bow is pointing then it will say east even though you are moving north. What Humminbird has now is direction is from movement not the direction the bow is pointing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:18:24 PM by viper200 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
All I have to say is the key word in the new antenna is Head SENSOR.  The sensor only cares what direction the bow is pointing had nothing to do with speed. Sorry if you don't like fruit. :D
Place a boat on a river that has a tide running North at 3 knots and point the bow east. If the sensor is set up to show what direction the bow is pointing then it will say east even though you are moving north. What Humminbird has now is direction is from movement not the direction the bow is pointing.

Correct, and this is basically the difference between a Heading (direction the bow is pointing) and a Course (direction the boat is moving).

Offline Nitro78

• French frog
  • French frog!
  • Unit(s): Solix mega
  • Accessories: TM265 LH + 2 side imagin transdeucer an
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
Hello, I saw this improved antenna (GR-AS-HS) with integrated compass, is it possible that their software modifies humminbird order to restore an image right side with the current through?
It should also allow to make screenshots (side) when the corect fishing boat is drifting.
  It must be possible since the GPS knows the road and the bottom axis of the boat!
(From france sorry if my English not the best!)

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
It doesn't matter if your boat is drifting or sitting still.
This heading sensor will show you on your map
what direction the boat will move when you give
it power.

That's more than what we have now.

Also, in the past, the GRHA gps receiver was accurate to
one meter.  I wonder why this is only accurate to
2.5 meters?
Is it that more expensive to make the receivers more
acccurate?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
Yes it is.  That is why the AS-GRHA had a higher MSRP.

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »
Correct, and this is basically the difference between a Heading (direction the bow is pointing) and a Course (direction the boat is moving).

Wow. I thought that they were one and the same.  So now I'll use Course Up so I know which way I'm moving not pointing.  But wait I don't have the new GPS receiver.   But I do have a electronic compass built into my Garmin eTrex Vista Unit. 
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
GPS has been this way for years with most. As a boat owner it is important to have a magnetic compass primarily for heading and the GPS as secondary.
As the caution on GPS says, dont use GPS as your only navigation tool..

Chuck

Offline ITGEEK

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
Hey Moose.
I've tried the course up setting.
The screen is always moving around.
I hated it.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
ITG, I get the same thing on our 1197 at 6.3........We have to be moving to stabilize. but that is the way it works. A compass is all important piece of gear. Especially at a very slow speed.

Chuck

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
Never leave sight of land without a magnetic compass. Never fails to amaze me how many people do not know the difference between course, heading, and bearing.

The compass will only know the difference between the strongest magnetic signal and it current reading of magnetic signal. The question is which way will the programing interpret and display boat movement in relation to the strongest magnetic signal. It's intended purpose seems to be for the 360 so I would guess that it will always display the direction the bow is pointing.

This was only intended to point out that it is an electronic compass and that through programming this 360 display could be made to show and side (bow, back, starboard, port, and stern) as the top of the display based in gps, and heading sensor input.  Lets look at an example compass indicates 0 deg heading, gps indicates 180 course the 360 could be made to display the stern at the top of the screen with the boat icon pointed to the rear and have compass points accurately displayed on the screen.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Bob B entered this in as a reply and I split the topic prior to his post. So wanted to get his posting back in this topic.
Chuck

It will be nice to start hearing from people who are actually using this new GPS....with and without the 360.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »
According to the 360 manual:
When the AS GR HS antenna is connected, the chart view will display 2 separate readings.  One for COG (Course over Ground), and one for Heading (direction the boat is pointed.)

If you have the 360, in the 360 view you will also have both course and heading indications.

The manual also states that if a heading sensor is available, the boat icon will not change to a circle even when the boat is stationary......NO MORE DONUT. ;)

Offline Jim Jack

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
HB Greg,
Can I connect my DSC VHF to the green and black wires of this GPS and not have to turn on NMEA output to avoid the 38400 baud rate lock?

• Green Wire, GPS NMEA Out
• Black Wire, Ground
• White Wire, Control Head NMEA Out

• If the GPS Receiver/Heading Sensor (AS GPS HS) is connected to
the control head, and NMEA Output is turned on, the control head will
operate exclusively at a baud rate of 38400. If there is an accessory
attached to the Sensor’s pigtail, it also needs to operate at 38400. See
your accessory installation guide to set the baud rate to 38400.
• If a GPS Receiver (AS GR16, AS GR50, AS GRP) is connected to the
control head, and NMEA Output is turned on, the control head will
operate exclusively at a baud rate of 4800. If there is an accessory
attached to the Sensor’s pigtail, it also needs to operate at 4800.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
Let me check on this Jim Jack.

Offline TroyBoy30