Author Topic: Requesting a picture of transducers mounting ( si and hs) for a 898c hd si  (Read 10499 times)

Offline Eric0427

• Unit(s): 898c hd si
I would appreciate it if someone could link a picture of the suggested combined mounting position for the SI and high speed transducers. It is for a deep v aluminum boat. The question for me is, if the high speed one is mounted side by side with the si one, will this interfere with the si signal? This suggests they  should be placed at slightly different heights to avoid a line of sight issue.  Additionally, can I place another temp / speed unit for a L brand in the same general area without causing issues? I'm new at this and your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
You can try looking in the Aluminum boat installation folder in the Gallery of this web site:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=45
Not sure that you will find what you are looking for.  There are other web sites that have a lot of installation images too, so shoot me a message and I can send you links if I need to.

Yes, installing another transducer side-by-side with a Humminbird Si transducer will cause the Si sonar to that side to be blocked as will anything else mounted to the side of the Si transducer.  The closer to the Si transducer the object is, the greater the blockage.  The farther away from the Si transducer, the less the blockage.  You will have to either mount the second transducer forwards of the Si transducer (the Si transducer could be mounted on a block or something that will move it away from the transom, but you will have to watch how far away from the transom you move the Si transducer because the lower unit of the motor may start causing blockage), live with partial blockage of the Si sonar or use two Si transducers.  This is all assuming that you cannot get decent high-speed depth readings with the Si transducer – have you tried this yet or are you wanting to mount the Si transducer up higher for protection?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Eric0427

Thank you Greg. The new unit is not installed yet. The high speed transducer has not arrived yet. The rear of this hull is basically flat and square. I plan to place the si transducer and the high speed transducer mounted directly to the hull with the provided mounts. I see the si mount and transducer as approximately 6 1/2 inches in length. The distance between the hull and the lower unit is only seven inches. If this is adequate to provide a clear line of sight, then thus far so good. The hs transducer is the next obstacle. I purchased it because I was told by an HB tech rep that there is no way the si transducer would proved a signal at a speed greater than seven mph. There would be no bottom readings. Is it possible to get a reading at fifteen mph with it? If it "may" provide a reading, I will try the si solo and return the hs if it is not needed. Should I need to use the hs, my best guess is to place it fairly close, maybe 2 inches from and just slightly higher than the si to provide the best line of sight, although I do not believe placing it even one inch higher will keep it submerged, or without a lot of turbulent water. Is it possible that I will not be able to use, or even need the hs transducer. Does that make sense to you with experience? I realize I am asking much but I have such high hopes for this and less holes in the hull is a good thing. Thank you.

Offline raypla

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI
  • Accessories: I-Link
A few I'm following.  I too am getting ready to mount my transducer on a deep-v.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=850.0

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5286.msg33399#msg33399

My thread, check back in the next few weeks as I will be attempting to mount my transducer, it will be my lone one.  My research has led me to believe the high speed readings being capable with the Deep-v configuration.  I'm not anticipating being able to see fish I just hoping being able to get depths at speed from 6-20 mph, perhaps with the quad beam setting??  From what I've read the max chart speed on the SI is not able to keep up above 5+ mph, rendering the SI useless above those speeds anyhow.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5333.0

16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
Eric0427
      I think I can help you. I have a SI transducer mounted on an aluminum boat that the transom is flat and square.
      I get SI readings to about 7 mph and good bottom readings to 20 mph with only the SI transducer.
      The SI transducer is used to produce the Side Image, Down Image and 2D image.
      The 2D portion of the transducer is the part that produces the depth readings. While you lose SI at 6-7 mph, the 2D can still
      track the bottom. The trick is to get it adjusted correctly.

Here is a link to my install. Scroll about half way down. The red boat is mine.
      You don't have to go off the deep end like I did, but this will give you some ideas.
      I did this to get below the air bubbles created by the rivets. The BIG risk is it is VERY vulnerable to damage.
      This spring I'm going to see how high I can raise it and still maintain readings. I may end up with the SI and high speed.
      The SI cost $$$ and I'm boating in a hazardous area. So far I've been lucky. Your needs may vary.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=4764.msg29554;topicseen#new

" can I place another temp / speed unit for a L brand in the same general area"-- You shouldn't need this as the new unit will have this info.

Mike

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
I think that by placing the high-speed 2D transducer above the level of the HDSi transducer that you are wasting your money.  I would try the HDSi transducer and a transducer mounting board (fewer holes in the transom this way), first before trying anything else.

If that does not work you may want to try what Mike/newkid4si is using or perhaps try the XSO-9-20-T Stick-On transducer as it mounts up under the edge of the transom:
http://store.humminbird.com/products/313992/XSO_9_20_T

Si will work at speeds above 7 mph but it is not possible to show the same level of detail.  Below should be two images I made from our test boat way back in 2006 with the 987c Si. The same set-up should produce a little better results but the fact remains that the Si just can’t update fast enough for good Si images at higher boat speeds.  Note in the second image at 46 mph that the digital depth was off quite a bit!

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
No probs with my HDSI TD mounting location on my aluminum deep V boat.  Depth readings are spot on at 40mph.  SI/DI looks great/good details up to ~7-8mph (Maybe more...  Not really looking at those screens too often as I am speeding up to leave a area).  2D is fine up to ~4.5-5mph, certainly no more than 5mph.

In the motor down picture the motor isn't 100% down.  Close but not all the way due to it hitting the floor in the garage.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:57:43 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline Eric0427

You all have given me some detailed information that is useful and I appreciate that. I will mount the si transducer and try it out before adding the hs transducer. In the posted pictures, there are livewell intakes that do protrude about an inch and I assume cause no interference with the signal from the si. I think if I had a diagram of the si's projected beam, I would have a better idea of the required line of site to avoid interference with the signal. Thanks again.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
The Si sonar beams radiate outwards and upwards from the sides of the HDSi transducer (I do not know the upwards angle for this).  The beam is approximately six inches wide (front-to-read width).  So the water intake screens shown above may be reflecting some of the Left Si sonar beam.

On some installations you have to mount the transducer before you can tell is some objects (like the live well intakes) will block any Si sonar or not.

Offline MTBob

• MTBob
  • Unit(s): HB 998c
Eric: If you think the inlet screens will be a problem, you might want to consider what I did.
I cut off the bottom of the inlet screen.  I have yet to try out my rig, so it's still in the "R&D" mode.

I used a die grinder cut off wheel to cut the stainless screen, and then tucked it back.

I added a piece of thin plastic to the flat inlet flange with 3 sheet metal screws.  I'm sure the inlet area is still enough for adequate flow.
Bob

Offline h8go4s

• Unit(s): 898C SI
Use a mounting board so you can move the ducer around without drilling more holes in the boat. It can take some trial and error to get the ducer located right. Start with the recommendations in your owner's manual and adjust from there. You should be able to get standard 2d readings at high speed on most boats if the ducer is adjusted right. I can see SI up to about 20 MPH if I recall. I've seen photos of SI images in the 40 MPH range.

Offline raypla

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI
  • Accessories: I-Link
Use a mounting board so you can move the ducer around without drilling more holes in the boat. It can take some trial and error to get the ducer located right. Start with the recommendations in your owner's manual and adjust from there. You should be able to get standard 2d readings at high speed on most boats if the ducer is adjusted right. I can see SI up to about 20 MPH if I recall. I've seen photos of SI images in the 40 MPH range.

X2 On the mounting sourced some 1'x1'x1"  PVC, gray the color of my boat, for 20$ after S/H.
16.5' Tracker Deep-V
50 hp Mercury
55lb Terrova I-Link
898 HDSI

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo