Author Topic: why the pathetic adaptors ?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline al49

• Unit(s): 898si combo
  • Software: first upgrade
  • Accessories: upgrade 2012
why the pathetic adaptors ?
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:40:51 AM »
On my 898si unit I have three main connection points for the unit,power ,antenna,gps ,I cant understand how such an expensive and great functional  unit has such pathetic connector points for the unit .the brass female and male pins are so fine in diameter it doesn't take much to bend them when adapting or removing  them from unit .i cant understand why they are so small ,it is a guaranteed flaw in the units.everyone cannot leave there unit connected in the rigs all the time ,meaning continuous removal of unit for safety . mine have been damaged and broke of .surly the unit can have better brass adaptors installed to make them more user friendly .that is one area lowrance has the bird covered big time, half lock adaptors with large pins for good connection and strength .I surely cant be the only one with this prob.i love the unit just frustrated with this continuous prob of broken or fractured pins cheers AL

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: why the pathetic adaptors ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:45:20 AM »
I never have liked them either Al ...

It's always been my understanding that the bass boys wanted an "all in one" quick detach for removing their units while at hotels during tournaments ...

Whether that is true or not ... I do know ...

Thank goodness ONIX has good connections at least ...

Rickie

Offline al49

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:53:53 AM »
that's a plus then rick as my mate has just bought one

Offline Rpadar

• Unit(s): 1198HD si Helix 10, helix 9, helix 10
  • Software: Always the newest
  • Accessories: Ethernet box, 360, I pilot link
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:42:21 PM »
Ya they sure aren't the best. However I've been running them for years and haven't had an issue.  With the all in one plug I do remove them very often and have no issues.    The helix models have an even quicker detach that I enjoy.  I remember my foolish childhood days with a Lowrance reaching behind to unhook 3-4 half locks.  No more.  I'm also happy they got rid of the Ethernet metal plug.  After removing mine hundreds of times it was actually starting to fail.  And it took time. 

Offline al49

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
thanks rpadar for your thread ,my unit is two years old now but I have had that issue if bending pins since  nearly new .it cant be too hard to design a heavy duty adaptor for these units when in first design, expanding a diameter of a brass pin wouldn't increase the price that much ,it would definatly get rid of one silly issue .   especially if the unit is used in the salt enviroment as mine regularly is,this also helps with degradation of brass over time no matter how pedantic you are with seals and sprays.so happy though a marine electrition has soldered new wires out of the pins to make this section hard wired fixes the prob permanently yeha cheers AL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo