Author Topic: HELP GPS  (Read 2564 times)

Offline billy32303

• Unit(s): 898c si
HELP GPS
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
Just installed my new 898c si and no GPS recognition, no maps. GPS cable to head, transducer ok, power ok but unit cannot find or recognize GPS. Any idea what I might have not done? Thanks for any help.

Offline Rüdiger

Re: HELP GPS
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:17 AM »
Hi Billy

Either defective GPS receiver, or a contact problem on the plug. Bending a little the contact pins of the plug to the outside, i had such a problem with the powercable with my new 898.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »
Billy,
I wouldn’t go bending any of the pins in the GPS Receiver connector as these are of a smaller diameter than the power cable pins and may break.  I would instead make sure that you are testing the GPS outside where the GPS Receiver can ‘hear’ the signals from the GPS satellites.  I would also try testing your 898c Si unit on someone else’s boat that has a Humminbird GPS.  It does not have to be another 898c Si or even an Si type sonar unit.  Any model Humminbird will do for this test as long as it has an external GPS Receiver connected to it.  This can be done with the boat on the trailer as long as it is out in the open so it can receiver the satellite signals.  You may be able to find a fellow board member close by (look at the member map and see if anyone is near to your location).

If you cannot do that then call the Humminbird Customer Resource Center folks and see about getting your 898c Si unit and GPS Receiver back to them for testing.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline billy32303

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
Thanks for your help, gives me some ideas on what to try and look for.

Offline billy32303

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
Thanks again, I have to admit my mistake as I am sure someone else will do the same. I was hooking up the GPS directly. In order for the unit to work correctly, you must use the Y connection, then GPS to one leg of the Y.... Simple dumb mistake, hope this helps someone else doing their first install.

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:37 AM »
Hi Billy

Normally you dos not need the Y-cable, should work fine even without the Y-cable.

mvh
Rüdiger

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal