Author Topic: hb 550 and 998  (Read 2246 times)

Offline The Country Toad

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: hmmm 4.88?
hb 550 and 998
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:00:14 AM »
hello all,   i mainly run a 998 on a seaark 1872.  i drive a tiller outboard due to the style fishing in the tailraces of a couple of dams i live near.  today was one of the first days i spent on the bow of the boat with the trolling motor in the water and attempting to stay on a spot or in  a specific depth.  it was sort of difficult to see my 998 in the back of the boat.   i'm considering adding a 550 to the bow.

are there any compatability probs with these two units?   or....... does anyone have a suggestion as to what unit to add to the bow?  i was planning on a trolling motor transducer mount, but i'm certainly open to suggestions that anyone may have.
thanx!!

toad

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: hb 550 and 998
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
Toad,
The problem with using the 550 (or any other sonar) at the same time as the 998 will be the fact that both units will be using the same 200kHz sonar at the same time.  This means that they could cause sonar interference between them which will mess with the depth and bottom readings.  This may not be the case with your setup and you can try turning up the Noise Filter menu to counter this.  Other than that any Humminbird unit would work well up front – even that 998 you have now.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline The Country Toad

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: hmmm 4.88?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »
i think i gotcha.....   so would it be a matter of finding a bow unit that uses a different frequency?   i'm just looking for something a little basic for the bow.    can i use the same transducer i use on the stern for the 998 and just buy a head unit?  not sure i have the cash to buy another 998 just for the bow.
thanx for the reply greg!!!!!!!!!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
“so would it be a matter of finding a bow unit that uses a different frequency?”
It would be but I doubt that you would find one.  Most of the sonar units out there all use the same 200kHz frequency.  Some of those that have a second frequency still transmit and receive at 200kHz even though they are set to their second frequency (Humminbird’s do – I don’t know about the other brands).

I don’t think that we sell just the 998 head unit.  But yes you can use the same transducer for two units by use of the US2-W Unit Switch but only one unit can use it at a time.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal