Author Topic: AutoChart Zero Line Map Cards can fill up!  (Read 37484 times)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
AutoChart Zero Line Map Cards can fill up!
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:30:31 AM »
If you use your Zero Line Map Card for the Sonar Recordings that you will use to make your custom maps with, you are going to fill the card up sooner not later.  When you do this you will basically have three copies of the lake data on the ZL Map Card: the Sonar Recording, the processed lake data and the lake map itself.  I suggest that you use a blank memory card to make your sonar recordings (this would be less expensive than purchasing an additional Zero Line Map Card).

When you do use up the capacity in your Zero Line Map Card you will not be able to process any more lake map data and may get an error message when you try to do so.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline lock1nout

• Unit(s): 899ci HDSI
Re: AutoChart Zero Line Map Cards can fill up!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
greg,

in regards to my 899 and its dual sd slots...what is the max size (gigs) sd cards can I use to RECORD my autochart surveys? (e.g. 2 x 16g ??). Thank you.

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:38:33 AM »
i use a 16Gb in my 1198 runs flawlessly
ds
stgr

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
The units are designed to work with the 32GB SDHC memory cards.  That is the maximum capacity for an SDHC type memory card.  The AutoChart program will not care what size memory card you are using but your computer would need to be able to use the SDHC type memory cards (which it should unless it is pretty old).

Offline d.sonnenburg

• Unit(s): 898C SI, 998c HD SI
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
is there a way to save the sonar data to a standard blank sd card and save the autochart mapping data to the zero lines card at the same time?

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
Yes.  In fact, you don't even need the ZeroLines SD card to collect data.  I collect all my sonar data/autochart mapping data (same thing) on blank sd cards.

The ONLY thing you need the ZeroLines SD card for, is to export the map to it when you're in the AutoChart PC program on your computer.  And that map you create on the card, is readable like a lakemaster map on your depthfinder.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
The Sonar Recordings are what the AutoChart program uses for mapping data.
So, no you cannot record to two different memory cards (ZeroLines or a blank SD card) at the same time – but like CamoHunter stated: “you don't even need the ZeroLines SD card to collect data.  I collect all my sonar data/autochart mapping data (same thing) on blank sd cards.”

Save the memory space on your ZeroLines mapping card for the completed lake maps that you will make from the Sonar Recordings you made on the SD memory card.

Offline d.sonnenburg

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »
yes, i understand, but then i would have to make two trips to the lake i am thinking of. it is a trolling motor only lake and it would simply take too long to record both sonar for mosaic and mapping it with zerolines. i was hoping i would be able to do both in one shot. If i were to record both recordings to my zerolines card, could i transfer all of that info to my computer and delete the data for the mosiac off of the zeroline card?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
No you are not understanding.  You do not have to make recording on both the SD and ZeroLines mapping cards.  You only have to make recordings on one.  That recording data gets brought into AutoChart and the resulting map gets placed on the ZeroLines mapping card.  That recording will contain both the 200kHz 2D sonar data needed for the water depths for the contour lines plus the Si sonar for the mosaic mapping.

You can make the recording on either a black SD memory card or the ZeroLines mapping card.  All I am saying is save the space on the ZeroLines mapping card by using the SD memory card to record the data you need to make the map.

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
1. You DO NOT need your zerolines sd card in your unit, at ANY time to COLLECT sonar data.  Any blank sd card will work for that. When you create a sonar recording, your are collecting position, depth, bottom hardness, side imaging mosaic data, all at the same time, and it's all contained in the sonar recording file that is created.

2. You IMPORT those sonar recordings from your sd card into your AutoChart PC computer program.

3. When you import that data into AutoChart PC program, you create a map from that data.  When you click on the "Lakemaster Update" icon in AutoChart, that is when you actually send a map to your zerolines sd card.

Look at these two tutorials, they may answer some of your questions:
Autochart: How to Create a Sonar Recording
Autochart: How to Import Data & Create a Map
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:25:38 PM by CamoHunter »

Offline d.sonnenburg

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
so i do not need a zerolines card to collect my mapping data. but i need to convert that data on my computer and then put it on a zerolines card in order to read the mapping data i collected?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
Correct in that you do not need the ZeroLines mapping card to collect the data.
The AutoChart program is what is used to convert the data to a map.
The ZeroLines mapping card is only needed to bring the map into your Humminbird unit.  In essence it is your own personal custom LakeMaster mapping card.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:30:37 AM by Humminbird_Greg »

Offline d.sonnenburg

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
got it now! thanks for your time and patience.

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
So can you erase maps and data off of a zeroline card to create more space?

Offline dougclark12

• Avid bass fisherman for 50 years. retired MD.
  • Unit(s): 1197, Onyx
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:18 PM »
I have ordered an Onix unit and plan to do mapping of specific areas of the lakes I fish. I am now confused as to what card to have in the unit for mapping. I was under the impression that the unit had some memory for mapping, then I would need a Zero Line card to do additional mapping. It sounds like I may only need an SD card to do the additional mapping. Where can I find specific instructions for mapping with the Onix unit?

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:25 AM »
Where can I find specific instructions for mapping with the Onix unit?

In the MANUALS!  That's what they're for! 
Find them here & here.
From Page 5 of the ZeroLines SD card manual - "AutoChart LIVE saves 8 hours of mapping data on your control head.  After 8 hours of data has been collected, you can erase the data and continue mapping, or purchase the ZeroLines SD card for unlimited mapping."

Again, AutoChart LIVE is ONLY on ONIX & Ion units.

Doug, above, we're talking about different units.  All of the non-ONIX/Ion units have to save sonar data (either sonar recordings or Humminbird tracks) onto an SD card, then take that to their computer, and import it into the AutoChart computer software in order to create a map.  ONIX/Ion units have that capability within the control head.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:50:22 AM by CamoHunter »

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
So can you erase maps and data off of a zeroline card to create more space?

Yes.  However, the actual maps don't take up very much disk space on the ZeroLines SD cards.  And, you can create up to 4 custom maps on the ZeroLines SD card (each map is a 620mi x 620mi area).  So if all your mapping is within that area, you'll only need one AC folder.  If you map outside of that, you'll need to create another AC folder for another 620mi x 620mi area.  Your folders on your ZeroLines SD card would then be AC, AC1, AC2, etc.
Where people run into problems with their ZeroLines sd card filling up, are when they are saving the sonar recording files on their ZeroLines Sd card.  Which is unnecessary, because those can be saved on ANY SD card.  Then taken from that SD card to your computer, and placed there.  At which time you can erase the SD card you used and use it again for collecting more data.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:38:02 AM by CamoHunter »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
CamoHunter I would add that it would be safer to record the sonar data on an SD card (versus the ZeroLines mapping card) in case you delete the wrong files off the ZeroLines mapping card.  The result of which may be the necessary purchase of a new ZeroLines mapping card!

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
Yep, forgot to mention that.  NEVER delete the LkMaster folder on your ZeroLines sd card. 

The AC & SI folders... Humminbird says DO NOT DELETE also. 

However, I have done so many times with no issues.  Reason for me doing it, is because I messed up a map, and wanted to start over from scratch.  I deleted the AC folder, and started a new map.  Use at your own discretion. 

Offline Bubba Canuck

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI / 999ci HD SI / 597ci HD DI
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »
Wait a minute...

In many cases, you DO need the Zerolines card in the unit while recording.

Correct me if I'm wrong. You need the Zerolines card in your unit to see the outline of the lake you're fishing that day. Which is one of the reasons I bought the Zerolines/AutoChart in the first place. So then I need to place my blank SD card in the second slot. How to I tell the Humminbird unit to record sonar data to slot #2?
14' Lund "Tin Can", 25 hp Merc: $3,000
Humminbird 1199 CI HD SI Combo, Minnokota Terrova with iPilot Link and AutoChart Pro: $5,000
Humminbird 597 CI HD DI Combo: $600
Reaction from other Boats when Fishing: PRICELESS

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 06:04:54 PM »
I would try to flip the write protect tab on the one I don't want it to write to and see what happens.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Bubba Canuck

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI / 999ci HD SI / 597ci HD DI
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »
Thanks Bob B. Yeah, I thought of that but didn't want to "blow something up" when it tried to write to the protected card.

Well, after a few hours of fooling around I figured it out. Hopefully they don't "break" this feature with any future updates. If you have 2 SD card slots in your unit, and let's say you put an AutoChart/Zerolines card in 1 of the slots and a blank SD card in the other slot, make sure you PUT THE SD CARD THAT YOU WANT WRITTEN IN THE LEFT SLOT. It appears that the Humminbird 1199 SI by default writes to the LEFT slot.

One reason I never thought of this before was that last year the AutoChart support person (if you can call them that) at Humminbird insisted that the AutoChart SD card had to be in the left slot.

This leads to my real issue with Humminbird and the AutoChart software. Humminbird needs to get their act together! If you manage to get through the support lines (and if the website hasn't crashed that day because of high traffic) you're lucky if they know anything about this software. It's terrible. And I shouldn't have to waste hours of my time trying to figure things out because all the Directors and VPs are doing who knows what instead of really paying attention to what their customers are saying (and responding regularly on these boards so we know they're paying attention), and assigning one decent software guy to the project for a week (or maybe two) to properly document the product IN DETAIL.
14' Lund "Tin Can", 25 hp Merc: $3,000
Humminbird 1199 CI HD SI Combo, Minnokota Terrova with iPilot Link and AutoChart Pro: $5,000
Humminbird 597 CI HD DI Combo: $600
Reaction from other Boats when Fishing: PRICELESS

Offline mil 0311

• Unit(s): 998c SI - an old 300 tx
  • Software: 7.090 - IDK
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »
Ok I read through this whole post and learned a few things.(after I have already filled up my ZEROLINES sd card and was getting the error message) ((also I run a lakemaster michigan card along with the zerolines card in my 1199)I do this because the lakemaster MI card only has 5ft depth contour lines and I need/prefer 1ft contour lines provided by Autochart) Its a nice feature to run both maps at the same time and view the differences.(such as how the lake contours change a little over time and I like to fish the most current up-to-date map as possible.

So I bought a blank 32GB SD card to record my sonar/track logs from the unit. Then I take that SD card and put it in my computer, do the import file(s), create the map........now I am confused a little after that.    I have my map image and everything looks good and then I do the lakemaster update.(Zerolines SD card is not in the computer at this time). Now its updated on the computer program, How do I get it onto the zerolines card?
A.)Ater that process I just mentioned do I take out the 32GB SD card and put the zerolines card into the computer and click Lakemaster update again?

B.) OR do I import the files from the 32GB card, create map, remove that SD card and insert the Zerolines card and then do the lakemaster update?

Another quick question what file in the ZEROLINES card do I need to delete to make it "un-full" again so That I can keep adding the new lakemaster updates to it from the lake? (is it the record file?)

Thank you for any help on this matter?

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »
On the ZeroLines SD card, the only folders you need are the LkMaster and AC folders.

The LkMaster folder contains the basemap and all lakes of North America.
The AC folder contains the custom map that you create in AutoChart.

AutoChart allows you to map using either:
local files on your computer (to use this method you would need to copy the LkMaster and AC folders from the ZeroLines SD card to your computer)
- or -
require the ZeroLines SD card to be in the computer.

Most people just choose to do the mapping with the ZeroLines SD card in the computer.  With this method, the custom map is updated each time you click 'lakemaster update' in AutoChart.
If you use AutoChart without the ZeroLines Sd card in the computer, like I do, then after you create your custom map in AutoChart, you would need to insert your ZeroLines SD card, and copy the AC folder from your computer, and paste it onto your ZeroLines SD card.

Your ZeroLines SD card is about a 32GB card.  14GB are taken up with the 'LkMaster' basemap, and the remaining 18GB is for you to use for your 'AC' custom map.

Obviously, if you save your sonar recordings to your ZeroLines SD card, you are going to fill up the card.  Instead, I use a blank SD card for sonar recordings, and copy those files to my computer.  You can do the same thing with the ZeroLines SD card though.  If you want to make your sonar recordings and save them to your ZeroLines SD card, you will want to copy the 'RECORD' file from your ZeroLines SD card, over to your computer.  Then delete that folder from your ZeroLines card once you're positive you have those files on your computer.

It sounds to me like you do not have the ZeroLines SD card in the computer, while you are creating maps, and updating your custom map.  Therefore, you are using the 'local files on your computer' method that I mentioned above.  Therefore, you would need to copy your AC folder from your computer to the ZeroLines SD card after you've created your map.

There's a lot more to this, and I can explain it in more detail later, but that'll give you a start.

Offline Martins

• www.eholotes.lv
  • Unit(s): 2xHelix12 and HDS9 Gen3
  • Software: latest
  • Accessories: AC PRO, AS 360xSSI, MG Xi5 GPS, Lowr.HDS
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
Did you try to copy AC folder from one Zeroline card to another? For example - make copy to friend's card without boring process of AutochartPRO which is taking very long time.

I understand that deleting AC folder is not a problem, but - if I have large quantity of AutochartLiVE files on it? Am I loosing them or they are in another folder?

we are several Onix users and the question is about exchanging of our data.

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
It doesn't work.  I tried it.  The AC folder seems to be encrypted to the specific zerolines sd card.  I tried copying the AC folder to a second zerolines sd card, and it wouldn't work in the depthfinder. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo