Author Topic: Trouble exporting to mmc/sd card  (Read 8431 times)

Offline 1fisherofmen

• Unit(s): 998ci
  • Accessories: ipilot
Trouble exporting to mmc/sd card
« on: May 09, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
I'm having trouble exporting recordings from my 998ci to an SD card. I follow the directions to the letter, the  unit says the export was successful, but when the card is installed in my PC, I find 2 files. Neither of which is longer than 1K, no recordings. And the card is unlocked. Am I missing something?

Offline Gimp

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Accessories: i-Pilot Link
Re: Trouble exporting to mmc/sd card
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »
You should have a RECORD folder on the card. Inside the RECORD folder should be some numbered files and folders. The recordings would be there.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
Snapshots and recordings are saved directly to the SD Card ...

Only NAV data is saved to the internal unit memory ...

When you performed the Export function ... You only exported waypoints, routes and tracks to the SD Card ...

This NAV data will be in a folder titled "Matrix" on the SD Card that HBPC can read and import for NAV data management ...

The other file on the SD Card will be the "Profile" folder ...which is the unit Profile data that HBPC can read ...
----------
----------

To successfully create a recording ...:
*Insert SD Card into either slot ...
*Cycle thru the views to the "Snapshot and Recording" view ...
*Press Menu 1 time to open the recording Xpress menu ...
*Choose "Start Recording" ...

During recording there should be a popup at the top of the screen every 5 seconds or so that says "Recording" ...

During the recording you can cycle thru the views ... And change most settings without affecting the recording characteristics because the unit records the raw data to the SD Card ...

"Imaging Frequency" is the only setting during recording that will actually change what is being recorded to the SD Card ...

The recording process must be manually stopped by pressing Menu 1 time from any view ...and choose "Stop Recording" ...

If the recording is not manually commanded by the "Stop Recording" command ..the recording will not be functional as a playable recording ...

Once the recording has been manually stopped ...you can cycle thru the views to the "Snapshot and Recording" view and use the 4 way cursor up and down to select the recording ...then cursor right to play the recording ...

And as Gimp mentioned ... There will be a folder on the SD Card titled RECORD (if you have created a recording to the SD Card) ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:31:21 PM by rnvinc »

Offline 1fisherofmen

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »
Thank you both for responding so quickly. judging from what you are saying, no recordings were exported. the two files that are present are profile and encrypt. that's why I asked if I missed a step or something else. I created the recordings, their in the fish finder, I can play them back there. I don't see a file named RECORD.

Offline 1fisherofmen

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »
Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that HBPC found no waypoint type files on the card either?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »
I'm confused here ...

HB recordings do not reside in the unit ...recordings are written directly to the SD Card ...

If you take the SD Card out of the unit ...the unit will no longer see recordings listed in the unit "Snapshot and Recording" view ...

The HB unit creates the RECORD folder on the SD Card when a recording is successfully created on the unit ...

Can you post a screenshot of the "Snapshot and Recording" view that is showing these recordings listed ...??

Rickie

Offline 1fisherofmen

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
I'm the one who's confused, I'm new to this tech. I found the lost recordings and waypoints on my lakemaster card. It appears everything went to the lakemaster card instead of the card I intended. how can I prevent this from happening again? I'm using a sandisk extreme pro 32 Gig.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
I'm the one who's confused, I'm new to this tech. I found the lost recordings and waypoints on my lakemaster card. It appears everything went to the lakemaster card instead of the card I intended. how can I prevent this from happening again? I'm using a sandisk extreme pro 32 Gig.

That's not supposed to even be a possibility of happening ... The unit is supposed to recognize a map card and not write snapshot or recording data to it ...

Was the LakeMaster card the only SD Card in the unit at the time that you started a recording ...??

In the mean time ... Slide the lock down on the left edge of the LakeMaster card to eliminate the possibility of writing data to that map card ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:32:02 PM by rnvinc »

Offline 1fisherofmen

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:26:39 PM »
I referred back to the lit. that came with the map card. They don't recommend saving to the map card as that would cause a loss of mapping info, but I have a feeling it is possible. I was also under the impression this unit could tell the difference between the two cards, I can't help thinking I've missed something. The map card was in the left slot and the SD card was in the right slot, they were both in the unit at the time the recording was being made. I was able to load the matrix folder & the record fold to HBPC, however HBPC doesn't seem to be able to open them. And I don't think any mapping info was overwritten. I'll find out for sure this weekend, I have some theories to test. I will take your advice and keep the map card locked. Any troubleshooting tips will be greatly appreciated.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:20:30 AM »
HBPC is only for NAV data ... It cannot read or show snapshots or recordings ...

Snapshots can be opened by Windows Photo or Mac Photo ...
Recordings can be viewed in the unit or a 3rd party viewer like Humviewer ...

If there was NAV data in the MATRIX folder that you exported to the card ... HBPC should have read it ...

Are there any files in the MATRIX folder ...??

Rickie
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:22:24 AM by rnvinc »

Offline fshndude

• Unit(s): Helix 8 DI+, 9 G2N, Helix 12+ A/C Pro,
  • Accessories: Ulterra i link, ethernet,
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
On my HB it has an arrow and you can change it from left to right. I am using a 899 and navonics. when I convert to yellow fin or any of the other ones I get error messages or no data. I can see them on the folder lists. Is the arrow for which slot to have the recordings goimg to?
Dave in Currituck,NC

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:39:29 PM »
On my HB it has an arrow and you can change it from left to right. I am using a 899 and navonics. when I convert to yellow fin or any of the other ones I get error messages or no data. I can see them on the folder lists. Is the arrow for which slot to have the recordings goimg to?

The green arrow at the top of any split view is indicating the "active pane" ... Meaning opening the Xpress menu (1 Menu button press) will have options dedicated to that side of the split view ...

Changing the green arrow from left and right merely changes the setting choices to relate to that "active pane" ...

I'm not sure what your issue is with the Error messages ...

Are you able to view your HB recordings on the unit itself ...??

Rickie

Offline 1fisherofmen

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner Rickie, the answer to your question is yes there are files in the matrix folder. On my computer HBPC has one file named WP001, there's a series of S-files S00001 thru S00015. and some R files, R00001 thru R00005.each has its lat., long., depth and date. I imagine WP is for Waypoint, S snapshot and R recording. I really don't know what to expect from HBPC or how I might use it, but I still want to learn. As I said earlier, I'm going out this weekend armed with what I now know, maybe I'll get it right this time. Thanks.
Frank.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »
What I would suggest during your next outing with the unit functioning in Normal mode ...:

Start with a blank SD Card (unlocked) in 1 of the card slots ...

*Make sure Screenshots is enabled under the Accessories tab in the main menu ...
*Take a few screenshots during your day ...
*Create 1 recording during your day ...
  ..Start the recording in the Snapshot and Recording view ...
  ..Stop the recording in the Xpress menu of any view ...
*Export your NAV data to the SD Card ...

Insert the SD Card in your PC Card reader ...
Open the card to see the data on the card ...

Post a pic of the files and folders on the SD Card ...

We will work from there ...

Rickie

Offline RonnieB

• RonnieB
  • Unit(s): ONIX10CISI, XNT-1420T,360
  • Software: 2.0
  • Accessories: Ethernet, MinnKota Ulterra,Talon
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 12:57:46 AM »
On my Onix it will save Screenshots internally. There is a setting selection to auto save it on card or internal. I did not find a way to transfer from internal to card. So I just screenshot the screenshot, it then ask me where I wanted to save it. It asked  me card 1 or card 2. I had Navionic in card 2. At what point is HB suppose to recognize card 2 is a map card?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »
On my Onix it will save Screenshots internally. There is a setting selection to auto save it on card or internal. I did not find a way to transfer from internal to card. So I just screenshot the screenshot, it then ask me where I wanted to save it. It asked  me card 1 or card 2. I had Navionic in card 2. At what point is HB suppose to recognize card 2 is a map card?

To choose where to save images ...:

*Press "Home" button (or 2 finger swipe down) ...
*Choose "Images" from the widgets at the bottom ...
*Choose "Settings" under "Options" in the left panel ...
*Choose images save location under "Screen Capture Save Location" ...
------------
To export images to SD Card ...:

*Press "Home" button (or 2 finger swipe down) ...
*Choose "Images" from the widgets at the bottom ...
*Choose "Internal" from the left panel ...
*Press and hold 1 of the images in the right panel ...
*Choose "Copy" or "Copy All" from the Options popup ...
*Choose copy location from the next "Option" popup ...

If you have a map card in the unit (along with a blank SD Card) ...the unit should not give you the option to copy the images to the map card ... The only 2 options that should show is "Internal" (which makes anothe copy of the selected images in the internal memory) or the card slot that contains the SD Card ...

It would be a good idea to keep your map card locked with the slide lock on the SD Card ...

Rickie

Offline 1fisherofmen

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:55 PM »
I tried to get out this past weekend but my job got in the way. Will post those pics, soon as I get them.

Frank

Offline Bubba Canuck

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI / 999ci HD SI / 597ci HD DI
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
If you're running the Autochart Zerolines map card and you want to write recordings to the blank SD card in the other slot, MAKE SURE the blank SD Card is in the LEFT SLOT. The Humminbird will always write to the LEFT slot if there are 2 SD cards in the unit. And yes, if the Autochart card is in the left slot, your raw recordings will be added to the Autochart card instead.
14' Lund "Tin Can", 25 hp Merc: $3,000
Humminbird 1199 CI HD SI Combo, Minnokota Terrova with iPilot Link and AutoChart Pro: $5,000
Humminbird 597 CI HD DI Combo: $600
Reaction from other Boats when Fishing: PRICELESS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo