Author Topic: Changing Chart color  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Whitedog

• Unit(s): 1197NVB
Changing Chart color
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »
My memory may be failing me but I am almost certain I could change the depth at which the chart color started on my unit.  In other words, I could change the edge of the blue from fifteen feet to seven or eight.  It seems to be stuck at seventeen feet.  Now, when I try to change the color nothing happens until I adjust it all the way to zero and then my screen turns all white.  As soon as I adjust it up to even one foot the color goes all the way to seventeen feet.  I would love to be able to adjust the color depth to make it easier to find ledges or humps of a similar depth.

I have probably done a bad job of describing the problem but my question is do I have a problem with my unit or is the problem with my memory?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Changing Chart color
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
My memory might be questionable also.   ;D
A couple of things come to mind.
Are you in advanced mode?
In the Sonar X-Press mode: you can set lower range, upper range.
Sensitivity setting might be considered.
Bottom view is another selection.
This should give you a start.

Chuck

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:33:28 AM »
Sonar  thanks but I told you I did a bad job of explaining the problem.  I should have made clear that my problem is with the Map screen and not the side imaging screen.  I am trying to get the map to have the color change at a specific depth rather than the default depth.  I'm almost certain I could do this when I first got the unit but now I can't do it.  I went over the settings of the unit with Hbird customer service yesterday and they are correct per them.  Hbird's only solution was to bring the unit in (I live fairly nearby) but I am hoping someone might have a solution.  I have a feeling the software update that installed bottom imaging may have caused this an I also caused the unit to lock up while on simulator mode a couple of weeks ago and that is a possibility.

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »
Youre probably talking about the "shaded depth" menu.

It works on some maps, and not on others.  I think its more of a chip data thing, than a Humminbird/hardware problem.

Has it worked before on the body of water youre tryiing it on?
Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
I am ninety percent sure it has worked before and the owner's manual describes how to do it - pg 139 or near there.  The reason I am questioning my memory is that a couple of my friends have units and theirs don't work either.  Also, I have a 797 and it is the same way. 

To further add confusion I will expand a little,  if I go to through the procedure to change the shaded depth and take it all the way to zero then the whole map turns white (which is as it should be) but as soon as I raise it to one foot the shaded part goes all the way to seventeen feet.  Then, if I continue to go higher at around twenty five feet (?) the shaded depth will jump to thirty-three feet.  It is either a software glitch, I need to take it to Hbird or I just remember incorrectly.  All are good possibilities.

Offline jseasor

• Trying to learn as much as possible about SI
  • Unit(s): 1197C SI
  • Accessories: 1197SI
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »
i am by no means an expert on this, but i do own an 1197 also. my shaded depth works just, ironically, i was messing with mine my last trip out.  i have a navionics hotmaps premium card.  im like the other guy, i believe it has something to do with your card.  have you tried resetting your unit, taking out your card and reinstalling it?  just a thought. sorry i couldnt be more help, someone will come along and be able to help ya!

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Jseason, I appreciate any and all help.  I have reset back to factory defaults and my chip is also a premium  South and I have taken it out and reinstalled it.  Matter of fact, it is presently in my 797 and I am using the NVB map in the 1197.  I have been fishing Lake Eufaula the last few weeks so I can use NVB at the console and the chip maps in front.  What is strange is that both units are doing this.  I'm not computer savvy enough to have any idea if the chip could be corrupting the units someway.  Like you say, maybe someone with Hbird or someone who has had this problem will come along.

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:48:10 PM »
I still say its in the Navionics chip.

I fish Lake Sharpe  (Missouri river reservoirs) in South Dakota and the shaded depth works great with my Navionics Premium North chip

When I drop down 1 mile below Big Bend Dam into Lake Francis Case, my shaded depth works the same way as yours, more or less.  Doesn't matter if its my 997, 1197, or the 787.

Same Humminbird, same chip, just different information built into the chip for the hardware to read.

I do know that Sharpe was mapped from shoreline to shoreline approx 90 miles long  and Case was only mapped in the main channel for about 29 miles.

I would certainly think the Lake Eufala would be fully mapped, though.

Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »
Reddog I think you may be right.  That is about all that makes sense.  It worked fine on Seminole the last time I checked it there and since both units do the same thing the chip is all that is common to the problem.  I guess I'll not worry too much about it until I get back to Seminole and see if it works there. 

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »
I understand this is a Navionics card problem...

See this....http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=980.msg5143#msg5143

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:15:56 AM »
It’s the data on the mapping card.  On the Navionics cards the water depths used by the Shaded Depth menu do not always line up with the depth contour lines.  Some lakes they do or do so only in some areas while they don’t in other areas or other lakes.

By the way, Lake Eufaula (this is the one in Alabama) was finally surveyed and added as an HD lake on the 2009 Premium HotMaps South mapping card.  This was listed as a “partial survey” which it was…

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »
Greg,  thanks and I had determined that the problem was with Navionics by going to the Seminole map and found I could change the shaded depth to shallower than the default. 

I have a Premium chip I bought in late 09 so I assume it is the latest.  It is a partial survey as it has some uncharted areas such as Thomas Mill Creek.  Do you happen to know if there will be a completed survey and a chip coming soon?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
I sure don't Whitedog.  I was surprised that they would add a partial survey to begin with and than especially that they did not complete it on the next year's (2010) map card...

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo