Author Topic: HumViewer - Viewer of humminbird files  (Read 220647 times)

Offline reso

• Unit(s): Matrix 37, 997 CSI,Helix 12 Chirp
  • Software: latest
  • Accessories: interlink, high accuracy gps,360 TM
Re: HumViewer - Viewer of humminbird files
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
Hello Martin,

About the waypoints: I do think that it would be best to have the waypoint from where the cursor is.

I am not too interested in the boats position, its all about the structure's location.

regards,
Reso

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »
I agree with Reso

Once we locate the structure we can position the boat.

George

Offline Chiboo

• SpearFishing
  • Unit(s): Solix 10 MSI+ G3
  • Software: 4.130
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
Hi Martin!

Check your e-mail.

Offline arnados

• Unit(s): 798SI
  • Software: 4.62
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
Hi Fran
I dont quite understand how you draw a rock contour from the recording. Can you explain a little more about how you do it.
/Martin

Martin, look attachement.  I think white contour are border rock nearly exact because are in front of beam and I draw for delimit rocks. Red contour are not valid because are behind of beam or dowm waterfall. I hope this give you am idea of I need.
Apoligize my bad english.
Regards
Fran

Offline Chiboo

• SpearFishing
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
Actually, and in what sense of it? Basically sense from SI this best permission at scanning for visual viewing, as any software at present cannot (or does not want, or wants for the big money) that or to receive from this data except a mosaic... As far as I understand, at you have797 ...... And so really is as a boat for the beginner..... To give money for to try... And then to give money it is even more.... And so I am better at once have given money more....

Offline mirb

Wish list
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »
I would like to add in the wishlist:

- make sub recording from a start point to an end point marked with the mouse directly in the SI view..

- scroll the view with a scrolling mouse..

Offline reso

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
Hi Martin,

Have been using your software extensively in the last few days.
Some things I noticed:

If I scan with 800 Khz it shows on the screen 455 and scanning with 455 shows 800 khz.

When viewing the 200 Khz, it shows a lot of debris etc, since I guess the TVG is off in the recordings and on in the 997 while scanniing . This probably means that TVG is a postprocessing step by HB that is not in the actual recordings. No idea how to simulate this afterwards.

When you are going to add waypoint marking for objects next to the boat, as discussed before, you never know whether it is to the right or left of true north, since the boat can move in any direction while scanning, you'd have to incorporate the boats heading to assess the actual location under the cursor.

You think it is possible to lighten up the SI view, since the sides are sometimes dark. e.g. What can be done in Deepview, I guess some kind of auto balance of levels, like in photoshop, leveling out the histogram.

Thanks for this great piece of software, above text  is not critisizing, just trying to help to make it even better!

regards

Reso

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »
All of the data recorded in the files is raw to my knowledge.  All the processing is done live or on playback.

I don't think Martin has any filters in place just yet.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline reso

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 03:51:40 AM »
that is my understanding too, but if Martin gets bored...perhaps it is a nice addition to Humviewer ;)

Reso

Offline Chiboo

• SpearFishing
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »
Hi all.
In a head there lives thought, as though in SI mode to realise function of definition and allocating object (in an ideal fish) from all the rest. By the current moment in real time mode successfully use SI technology very skilled person with the very correctly set up equipment can. In other cases the person can see object by steadfast consideration of record and even after that the right decision that we see not always is accepted.... Basically Fran aka arnados has given interesting idea. On the basis of it the idea was born at processing RAW data, at a conclusion of SI of the data to the screen to try to form a contour as follows. To allocate front of splash in a signal and its beginning of falling with what or separate colour, it is as a result possible can the required result will turn out. The stern of it will need to think of filtering the supporter of peaks, but at least to try look that from this it can to turn out. The Example on a picture.

/Alex

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
  • Unit(s): 997C SI
  • Software: 6.300
  • Accessories: Speed sensor
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:27 AM »
Hi Reso
It sound weird about the frequency that is shown wrong. The frequency is in the header part of the .son file together with the raw recording data and it is this frequency I show. Could it be that the Humminbird put the wrong frequency in the files ??

I have noticed too that there is a lot of debree on the 200kHz recording and the HB probably uses the TVG and sensitivity setting to filter some/most of this away. My problem is that I dont have enough knowledge about sonar filtering teories to make effecient filters as the ones in the HB. Making a filter that lowers the sensitivity is probably relatively easy, but the TVG filter seems to be more complex.
I might give it a try (if I get very bored  ;) ), but I would say that this is one of the reasons why we must hope that Humminbird one day will release a viewer, they are the only one that can implement the same filters as the filters in the real Humminbird.

Best regards
Martin

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »
Martin,

You are correct.  Only Humminbird will be able to accurately duplicate their filters.

A filter to clean up noise would not be too hard.   I actually use a simple filter on the HBSI converter to remove some the noise near the center line.  It slows things down a lot though.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline cweb

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2009, 07:25:15 AM »
Two questions. Can I change the speed and depth to feet and MPH? and can it show Quadrabeam playback? GREAT program and thanks again. Carl

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2009, 09:10:33 AM »
Hi
Currently it cannot show speed and depth in mph/feet. One day I will probably make it.

I have never seen a Quadrabeam recording, so I dont know. But I have prepared the program for extra recording files so I think it is easy to configure the program for it.
If you have a recording you can send to me, then I can check/fix it.

/Martin

Offline cweb

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
That's fine. I can live with metric. Next time out I'll make a Quadrabeam recording and send it to you. Carl

Offline nielseno

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »
Hello, Martin, love your software.  If there's any way to donate to you, let us know.

Here's a link to a site that has the calculation of a waypoint from a known waypoint and a bearing + distance (distance at an angle).   If you look at the html source, you will see the javascript embedded in the page.  I haven't verified if all the code is there but I couldn't find a reference to a js file so I think it's all there.

http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2009, 02:18:33 AM »
Hi Nielseno
Thanks for the nice words. Regarding the waypoint, bearing+distance. Done it already  :)

I just want a some extra things added as well before I release the next version.

/Martin

Offline arnados

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
Martin, I live at NW Spain and tide have significative effect on depth. I think will be very usefull adding time and date to export track if it were posible.
I have hear files *.dat embed date and  time in Unix format and each ping embed time in milliseconds since recording started. If this is true, is posible that export track embed time and date for posterior tide correction?
Thanks
Fran

Offline Blackwaterkatz

• Unit(s): 797c si / 998c si / 1198
  • Software: 5.450 / 5.700
  • Accessories: weathersense
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
I have downloaded the newest version, but now I don't have the utilities or scroll bar? ila_rendered
Tommy in Lowcountry S.C.

Offline Blackwaterkatz

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »
UpDATE!  I deleted the old files and reinstalled; now it works just fine.  Great Job! 
btw, your english is quite good, so don't worry about that. :)
Tommy in Lowcountry S.C.

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »
Martin, I live at NW Spain and tide have significative effect on depth. I think will be very usefull adding time and date to export track if it were posible.
I have hear files *.dat embed date and  time in Unix format and each ping embed time in milliseconds since recording started. If this is true, is posible that export track embed time and date for posterior tide correction?
Thanks
Fran

Hi all
I have been a few days on the hospital to get my back operated as I has a slipped disc. The operation went well, but I am not able to use my computer for too long the next week or so.

To Fran: Yes you are correct that the time and date is in the .dat (and .son) files. Which export format are you using (.csv, .gpx or .kml). It will not be possible to export the time/date to the .csv as that is a fixed format with only position and depth (at least if DrDepth should accept the files). I cannot remember if there is an official tag in the .gpx and/or .kml to hold the date and time. I will investigate that when my back gets a little better.

/Martin

Offline cweb

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
Hi
Currently it cannot show speed and depth in mph/feet. One day I will probably make it.

I have never seen a Quadrabeam recording, so I dont know. But I have prepared the program for extra recording files so I think it is easy to configure the program for it.
If you have a recording you can send to me, then I can check/fix it.

/Martin
I made a couple short Quadrabeam recordings yesterday and will send one along to you if you still need it. PM me with address. Thanks Carl

Offline arnados

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2009, 04:14:36 PM »
Martin, output format might be any standard track format. I use Oziexplorer track format, but no problem to use another diferent. I have write a program that read original track, apply tide corrections and write another file. I can sent you thistTide rutines.
Another question: when sliding cursor over sonar image, coordenates are the same that waterfall, I think it will easy apply the formula to calculate cursor coordenates. I suppose you know appropiate formula, if not, write me.
Saludos
Fran

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »
Hi Martin,
I think I speak for all of us:
We all hope that you will recover from your operation and get well soon.
I, for my part, really enjoy your HummViewer and really aprecciate the work you did.

Relax and take it easy

Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline sulbig

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:55 PM »
First of all, get well soon! It's all about work/life balance.

Thank you for sharing your programming talent with the Humminbird user community -- you have created a really cool application that is only going to get better with feedback and time (and Mountain Dew). I'm certain Humminbird has been keeping an eye on this project with great interest. Is this an open source project hosted on the internet (i.e., sourceforge.net)?

I recorded for the first time on my 788ci today, and played it back using HumViewer. Sweet! One thing that didn't seem correct was the depth, though. It was all 10ft shallower than it actually was (i.e., 5ft displayed should have been 15ft)?

PS.  Do you have an application icon, yet? I didn't see one, and think a hummingbird with a magnifying glass or something.   ;D

Offline Chiboo

• SpearFishing
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2009, 01:54:16 AM »
Greetings, Martin
I hope (as well as all) for your recover. I wish that your state of health would not deliver further to you and your family of efforts.

Offline reso

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2009, 05:21:16 AM »
Martin,
I wish you all the best for the coming time, get well soon!
regards
reso

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:16 AM »
One thing that didn't seem correct was the depth, though. It was all 10ft shallower than it actually was (i.e., 5ft displayed should have been 15ft)?

Be aware that the HumViewer currently only shows depth in metres. So 5m is 15ft. Could that be the reason for the difference ?
The source code is not open source and I dont think it will be. It is easier for me to handle it this way.

To Fran: I changed the position shown at the mouse when I changed the way waypoints are created. So this will be in the next release.

/Martin

Offline PT

• Unit(s): 797C2
  • Software: 4.180
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »
Humviewer download

Try as I might, I cannot get Humviewer too work. I have just updated to Windows Vista, but when I try to run Humviewer, I receive a message on my computer stating that 'Windows cannot find java' - which I have downloaded.

Excellent forums - since purchasing my 797 last year, I have learnt so much by reading them.

Best regards PT

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
Hi PT
It definitely sounds like java is not installed correctly on your computer. Just to check, have you rebooted your computer after installing java, if not try that first.

Basically it sound like Vista do not know where to find java, but I don't use Vista myself so I don't know if there is any special precausions to take when installing java. I hope there is someone on the forum with a little more insight in Vista that have an idea what could be wrong.

/Martin

Offline kron

• Unit(s): 997c SI
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2009, 09:25:31 AM »
Hi Martin. First of all, I must say that you have created a really good viewer.

Would it be difficult to make a setting to correct for a towed fish? so that one can set the position behind the actual position(GPS-reciever).

Best regards.
//Daniel
Daniel

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »
Would it be difficult to make a setting to correct for a towed fish? so that one can set the position behind the actual position(GPS-reciever).

I will put that on my to-do list.
What setting would be needed ? Distance to GPS-receiver (in e.g. metres) - meaning that the towed fish is that distance behind GPS-receiver ?
What about the depth, is there a need to a depth-correction setting as well ?

/Martin

Offline kron

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
I will put that on my to-do list.
What setting would be needed ? Distance to GPS-receiver (in e.g. metres) - meaning that the towed fish is that distance behind GPS-receiver ?
What about the depth, is there a need to a depth-correction setting as well ?

/Martin

Yes exactly. It is enough to know how far the fish is from the GPS receiver. This is also good if you have the usual transducer mounted far from the GPS receiver in a boat. I prefer meters but, as you previously been asked to show speed in miles and depth in feet, so perhaps it could go to have a setting for the European standard and American standard which sets the depth and speed to the selected standard!?

I don´t think there is a need for depth-correction. What do you think?

Than once, I must say that you have a really good program.

Thanks!

Daniel
Daniel

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2009, 05:25:55 AM »
Hi Daniel
It is quite easy to make a depth-correction setting and correct the depth output values, however I cannot (actually will not  :)) try to manipulate the sonar images. I will probably make it, and then people can just set it to 0 if they dont want to use it.

Regarding the position correction, actually the correction for the distance from the gps receiver and a fixed transducer on the boat is quite different than correcting for a tow fish - although the purpose is the same.

Correcting for the distance between the gps receiver and a fixed transducer is very simple, as it is always a fixed distance in the direction of the current bearing.

Correction for the distance to the tow fish is actually more complex. I need to take into account that the tow fish do not following directly behind the boat when changing course. I dont think I can make it 100% correct, e.g. I will not account for the curve that the cable will make because of the water resistance, but I think I can make it fairly accurate.

I dont think this function will be in the next release, but most probably in the one after that.

/Martin

Offline kron

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2009, 06:12:39 AM »

Correction for the distance to the tow fish is actually more complex. I need to take into account that the tow fish do not following directly behind the boat when changing course. I dont think I can make it 100% correct, e.g. I will not account for the curve that the cable will make because of the water resistance, but I think I can make it fairly accurate.

Hi Martin. it sounds good. With some trigonometric functions and maybe pythagoras?, it should be easy to calculate an approximate value. ;)

//Daniel
Daniel

Offline Blackwaterkatz

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm really enjoying using the HumViewer software; can someone explain how the Color Model Editor works?  It doesn't fit to my desktop very well, either.  What resolution should I be using?  I think I'm getting the feel for the color palette, but would appreciate any tips.  Thanks
Tommy in Lowcountry S.C.

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
Regarding the resolution, then I have (again) forgot to test it with different resolutions. I am using 1400x1050, so if you can change your resolution to something close to that then it will probably work. I dont know how much you can see of the editor, but if you cannot see the 3-4 buttons under each slider then I definitely understand why you dont know how it works.
I will make a bugfix for it that will be included in the next release, so it will work with resolutions from 1024x768.

I think the best way to learn how to use the Color Model editor is to play around with it. I will suggest that you start by copying one of the existing color model (press copy in the top panel of the editor). And then try to move the sliders up and down and watch what happens with the color bar in the right side of the editor.
Try to add an extra 'step' by pressing one of the 'Add->' or '<-Add' buttons. Change the color of that step by pressing the colored button over the 'Add' buttons, and change the slider.

If it still not clear how to use the color model editor after the next release (where the resolution bug is fixed), then please let me know, and I will try to explain a little more.

/Martin

Offline Blackwaterkatz

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
Fair enough, Martin.  Thanks.  I've been playing with it a little, but, as you said, I have trouble seeing all the buttons at the current resolution.  Not a big issue, since the green/blue that is already on there works pretty well for me. 
Tommy in Lowcountry S.C.

Offline arnados

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »
Congatulations, Martin. I am testing version 3.031 and I love it.
Thanks.

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
*** New release of HumViewer - Release 3.031 ***
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2009, 06:34:37 AM »
As arnados have already discovered before I have even announced it  :)
I have released a new version of the HumViewer program.

Installation files and change log can be found can be downloaded from this here.

/Martin

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
Hi all,
just downloaded and tried 3.031. It's getting better and better....
Thanks a ton Martin!
Regards from Lake Constance
Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
I too have downloaded and played with the new release. It keeps changng back to the three view with downview and SI with every file I open even though I have saved settings as default. Is it possible something was corrupted during the install? The previous release stayed with the display as set as you opened the next file.

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2009, 03:41:50 PM »
I too have downloaded and played with the new release. It keeps changng back to the three view with downview and SI with every file I open even though I have saved settings as default. Is it possible something was corrupted during the install? The previous release stayed with the display as set as you opened the next file.

One of the changes with this version is that a Rnnnnn.xml file is saved for each recording (in the same directory as the Rxxxxx.dat file). The first time you open a recording the program will use the default settings, after that it should use the settings from last time you viewed that recording.

But if I understand you correctly you have changed to another layout, selected 'save as default' and after that tried to open a new recording (one that have not been opened in this version before) - and then it still shows the '3 view' layout ?

Please check if you have a file called Template.xml under the config directory. If you don't then try to reinstall. If you have, try to open it and look for a line saying something like: <SonarSplitScreen>3 View</SonarSplitScreen>
The value (e.g. '3 View') tells which default layout to use. It should change if you start the program, change the layout and select 'save as default' under the settings menu.

/Martin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:03:21 PM by mrj9600 »

Offline Hydroman52

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
When I load one of my files in HumView 3.031, I get the error "No depth data!".  Of course, no depth is displayed when I play the file.  Everything else seems to work fine.  Does anyone know how this could happen?  I think it displays depth data when I playback on the SONAR unit.  Could I have loaded incorrectly or could I be missing part of a file?

Here is a screen dump of the error

By the way, this is really good software. 

Thanks,
Rick

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2009, 01:29:02 AM »
When I load one of my files in HumView 3.031, I get the error "No depth data!".  Of course, no depth is displayed when I play the file.  Everything else seems to work fine.  Does anyone know how this could happen?  I think it displays depth data when I playback on the SONAR unit.  Could I have loaded incorrectly or could I be missing part of a file?

That is because your recordings is done with an older firmware that do not include depth data in the recording files. I cannot remember exactly when it was changed but I think the last firmware without the depth data in the recording files was 3.940.

/Martin

Offline cweb

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »
Hi Martin. Hope your feeling better. My Question is with the Quadrabeam setting. When I try playing back the Quadrabeam recordings there is no option to look at the 455 kHz side beams so all I can see is the 83 and/or 200 kHz beams. Next time out I will make a bunch of short recordings and try it again. If anyone else is using the Quadrabeam transducer I would like to know how there are making out with Humviewer in Quadrabeam mode. Thanks again Carl

Offline mrj9600

• Home of HumViewer
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2009, 08:12:09 AM »
Hi Martin. Hope your feeling better. My Question is with the Quadrabeam setting. When I try playing back the Quadrabeam recordings there is no option to look at the 455 kHz side beams so all I can see is the 83 and/or 200 kHz beams. Next time out I will make a bunch of short recordings and try it again. If anyone else is using the Quadrabeam transducer I would like to know how there are making out with Humviewer in Quadrabeam mode. Thanks again Carl

Hi Carl
I am not sure why you dont see the quadrabeam recordings. I used the R00018 recording you sent to me for testing and I worked fine for me.
- Do you get an error dialog like the one I have attached to this post when you try to open the recording ?
- Do you still have the option to view the 'SI Port' and 'SI Star' beams ?

/Martin

Offline cweb

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
Yes Martin I did get those warnings.
Yes I could see port and starboard in SI mode
I deleated the R00018 recording but That was made from Simulator mode and I'll make another one.

Offline cweb

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
Martin, thanks for the work making the addition to humviewer. I have the Quadrabeam display working after a new recording. Do you know witch 455/463 KHz beam is left or right side? 455/462 2, and 3?

Offline cweb

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
Martin, thanks for the work making the addition to humviewer. I have the Quadrabeam display working after a new recording. Do you know witch 455/463 KHz beam is left or right side? 455/462 2, and 3?
I think I have the answer to witch is witch. 2D down 3 (462) is right side. 2D down 2 (462) is left side.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:37:05 PM by cweb »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo