Author Topic: SI sensitivity  (Read 4591 times)

Offline Whitedog

• Unit(s): 1197NVB
SI sensitivity
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
I did some experimenting today and would like to see if my results are similar to what others are finding.

I anchored a small bass using a marker buoy and a lead weight then started making passes to see what he looked like on the SI.  On the first pass using factory default settings I could not see him but the sensitivity was set very low.  After several passes I ended up with the sensitivity set at around fourteen.  At that level I could clearly see the fish and the lead weight.  Turning the sensitivity much higher resulted in the screen washing out and getting too white.  I should add that I had the range set at about sixty feet to either side.  Are my settings similar to what everyone else is running.  This was my first outing and I was torn between playing with the unit and fishing so I did a poor job of both. 

I'd be interested in how valuable others thing the SI is for actually seeing fish as opposed to just locating structure, etc..  Now I'm just waiting for the down imaging.

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: SI sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »
Whitedog

Great Idea, I am going out tomorrow and after fishing I think I will try it (if I have time).  I will start with your settings and work around them.

Seeing structure is good, but seeing fish is what we are looking for unless you are a diver looking for wrecks or other things of interest. 

Most of the time I review my recordings at home to learn where the fish are hanging out.  When fishing I am only glancing at my unit and miss a lot.  But at home I can review the recordings and go back to the same spots and most times the fish are still in the same area.

George
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:41:45 AM by George »

Offline bob

• Unit(s): 997c SI & 1197c SI
  • Software: 4.750
  • Accessories: AS GRHA GPS
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
You can also find fish passing by your boat when tied up or anchored out while fishing. I don't remember the settings, as I change them all the time, but if a fish goes by the right direction and speed, it will make a shadow. Not all will be good, but some will. This example is not even one of the good ones - I missed taking a snapshot of the best one I ever saw. Some guy on a fishing forum said there is no such thing as a fish finder. Maybe some brands can't find fish - that's why I use Humminbird.

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI
AS GRHA GPS

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
Thanks for replying guys.  Bob, that's fantastic image of a fish!!  I'd never thought of looking for fish while stopped.  To my absoloutly untrained eye that would seem to be a very large fish.  I'm a little confused in that when I imaged the fish while he was tethered to the bottom he appeared white and there was no shadow.  Is there a difference when they are suspended and when they are near the bottom or is it that the boat is stopped as opposed to moving on a normal scan?  I have a lot to learn.

Offline bob

• Unit(s): 997c SI & 1197c SI
  • Software: 4.750
  • Accessories: AS GRHA GPS
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
Actually, I should not have said "will make a shadow", but rather, sometimes will make a shadow. If it is near the bottom, it will probably make a shadow, but if this fish had been off the bottom far enough for the shadow to be cast farther out than the 25 feet I had selected, then, no shadow would show. Think of it as shining a flashlight on something - it's the same thing, only different.  :)   Also, the direction and speed the fish is swimming will make a difference, too.   Since fish show up as a whitish color, I usually use the darker blue screen to make them stand out more, and for structure, I really like the new Amber2 color for SI. Very often, a shadow will tell you as much or more than the object itself. Here is another fish to look at. You can easily see the difference between the fish and it's shadow in this snapshot. I think these were carp or buffalo - not sure. I am far from being an expert on SI, but the learning experience sure is fun.

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI
AS GRHA GPS

Offline Whitedog

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
Thanks Bob, I didn't see the thin white area in front of the fish on the first shot the first time around.  It makes sense now. 

I'm for sure the novice with side imaging and there are only two ways I figure I'll learn, time on the water and asking questions.  It's one front after another here right now with too much wind and cold to be on the water so I'll be asking questions regularly.  I did spend ten years saltwater fishing (mostly snapper and grouper) and learned how valuable GPS and a properly adjusted bottom machine can be.  I can only imagine how cool the new bottom scan will be.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo