Author Topic: Navionics+ Card Settings?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Swann

• The word IF is only 2 Letters But over 3miles Long
  • Unit(s): N/A
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: XNT9 QB90 Transducer
Navionics+ Card Settings?
« on: March 13, 2022, 05:30:59 PM »
So now, after reading the direction(s) of Mr.Rnvinc (& giving up on that whole ci -> cXi thing I might add), it was not just Waypoint Cross-Referencing that I was hoping 2achieve But at least some Depth Profile Contours in as near a manner as 1 might see on P.151 of the 500 Series manual & yet all the while keeping in mind that this unit was built 10+yrs ago so I can understand that the visible profiles won't look as smooth as they would on the present day Navionics Chart Viewer App.
Now what I did do in an attempt 2keep things simple was 2set the Chart Selector App 2a perimeter around Lake Simcoe where I initially deleted any of the previous Data & Refreshed/Downloaded New Data 4this new box perimeter.
I powered the unit 2 Normal Mode vs Simulator Mode, turned off applicable options for Sonar & Demonstration on the "Chart View Page?" & ran solely on what the GPS function would yield BUT the only information 2be found were The Marinas of Lake Simcoe... No Buoy Markers & No Depth Profile Contours.
Furthermore, the lower right corner of the GPS Diagnostics View shows the SD Card 2read as "SEONML" & on the the 2nd attempt would read as "SEONMLF" vs any form of "available data" as it would w/a Generic SD Card that would look something like "28.8GB / 32GB".
On my 3rd attempt 2read Lake Contours, I went & downloaded Lake St.Clair - something that borders the US & Canada. This showed up as "EMIML" in the SD Card area of the GPS Diagnostics Chart Page View so at the very least, this leads me 2believe that the Navionics+ SD Card is OK & that these varying areas of interest are showing up as different "Map Names" as per Navionics mapping criteria.
Last But Not Least, when I 1st purchased this unit, it had 496 hours on it & I was ok w/that as I figured it 2be a 1owner unit regardless BUT then, after several attempts w/this Navionics+ card, something inside the 598ci was somehow "reset" 2cause it 2read Zero hours & I chalked this up 2some form of Low Battery problem b/c at the time it was hovering around 9.5V so 2day I recharged her up 2give it another go & my 598ci now reads 12.5-12.6V & a Grand Total of "1 whole Hour" of logged usage time... ok, I know I shouldn't look a Gift-Horse in the mouth re: my "born-again unit" But I would still like 2see some Depth Profile Contours as per p.151 of the manual (mentioned previously).
Now then, with all that being said, does any1 on the Forum have any experience w/this sort of thing w/either a 597 or perhaps even a 587 as these units "should" also be compatible w/the Navionics+ SD Card or perhaps even a HotMaps Card seeing as they were created in roughly the same era? The reason I ask 4the aforementioned example(s) is the hope 2get some direction(s) on at least what I "should be seeing" or perhaps even the Settings I need 2apply 2B able 2get a read on some Depth Profile Contours? Now there was some info I found on BBC Boards that made mention of removing files w/extensions of .ugc, .uk, & .ck But I'm only seeing a single file w/an extension like these (.ck) & have found that it doesn't seem 2make any difference w/respect to Trial & Error.
Thanks, Sandro.
ps - The Front Sticker Face of this particular Navionics card reads as "Navionics+ Canada and Alaska MSD/NA+CA"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:46:11 AM by Swann »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Navionics+ Card Settings?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 11:31:30 PM »
I’m not going to be any help with this one  ...

Here is Navionics contact info  ... they maybe able to help  ...
https://www.navionics.com/usa/support/contact-us

Rickie

Offline Swann

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 04:46:39 PM »
Ok, so now my unit has "Reset Itself" yet again to Zero Hours upon doing a Restore Defaults in a futile attempt 2get my unit 2read Depth Profile/Contours off my Navionics+ Card. When I 1st got this unit in December, it had 496hrs w/v6.64 Firmware & after uploading v7.300, I didnt see any noticeable issues. Furthermore, even after fartin' around w/that supposed ci --> cXi method (noted previously), I still didnt see any noticeable issues BUT once I tried doing a Format Nav Directories & then a Restore Defaults as the following command thereafter is when I "thought" it reset itself to Zero Hours (from what was roughly 505hrs at the time).
It was Not until doing the Format Nav Directories /Restore Defaults just now did my 598ciHD reset itself 2 Zero Hours yet again 4the 2nd time was i certain of the exact sequence of events.
So herez my question:
... & although I did read our Administrator's (Mr.R.Gecy) Note "in bright yellow" about reverting back 2older Software BUT I'm thinking in this case that it just might be Warranted?...
Sooo, IF U Had 2 Flip a Coin 2 choose HEADS (just continue 2 Sail on as is w/v.7.300) or TAILS (revert back to v6.64 which is 1 Rev Prior) - What would it be?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 08:57:05 PM »
I would suggest trying the newest  ... you may be satisfied with it  ...

I’ve backed software dozens of times without an issue  ... but this has been reported occasionally  ...

Rickie

Offline Swann

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 09:38:30 PM »
Yes Sir, I updated the unit to v7.300 (latest & greatest from 2014-LoL) sometime in Jan2022 after receiving the unit in Dec2021. Upon arrival, it had v6.640 on it & 496hrs. Since then I racked up roughly 10hrs B4 it did that strange "Zero Hours Reset" from doing a Restore Defaults command just a few weeks ago & then again a 2nd time as of yesterday where I racked up another 4-5hrs fiddling around w/a 2nd hand Navionics+ Card as well as attempting that futile ci->cXi thing just prior to that.
The only other thing I can think of is my 12V-7ah Battery that was draining quickly/constantly But did respond well 2some cheap refurbishment by way of topping up the cells w/distilled water about a month ago, although I must admit that I've noticed a bit of a difference there too as of late... meaning, the battery isn't holding a charge as well as it once did.
Now other than the aforementioned, those are all the observations of any real interest that I can think of & hence why I'm thinking of reverting back to v6.64 in order 2see what it would yield?
In doing so, I believe I will have "covered all my bases" so2speak But concerned about the potential repercussions of reverting back to a prior Firmware... even if it is just 1 Revision back But at least it would be the version the unit originally arrived with in Dec2021. Thanks, Sandro.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:49:04 AM by Swann »

Offline Swann

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 01:41:07 PM »
Ok, so I reverted back to v6.640 & that was easy enuff where the only real difference between upgrading & downgrading is that there's an extra warning question 2answer B4 proceeding w/a downgrade & my observations are as follows: Internal GPS works same if not just slightly better w/only a 2ft positional error, reading 0-0.1mph & the stationary icon on the view map showing a circle vs intermittency between the circle & boat icon from time2time as it would w/ v.7.300... Pls note that this could just be me paying closer attn 2the "little things" b/c today was 1 of those days where there was barely a cloud in the sky so the internal GPS could be working a tad more efficiently just due 2that alone. Unfortunately, my Status Page is still only showing Zero Hours Overall Usage Time & I fear that I've now somehow "Passed The Point of No Return" 4lack of a better Term/Phrase.
I cannot help But attribute the "2nd Reset" 2the Navionics+ Card as my analogy was juggling 3-fold: (1)Battery Voltage Fluctuations b/c my 598ciHD presently sits in a cradle running off a portable 12v7ah. (2)Screwin' around w/that futile ci->cXI method made mentioned of in previous posts. (3)Troubleshooting why my "2nd hand" Navioincs+ Card (Alaska & Canada) will show Marinas & Tidal information But No Depth Profile/Contours.
Now the 1st "Zero Hours Reset" did occur using the Navionics+ Card but that was only a few days after giving up on that whole ci-->cXi thing where the 2nd Zero Hours Reset happened a week later after my unit was showing 4-5hrs usage time & as far as my portable battery goes, it might Not be new But I can still run the unit for 3-4hours in Demo Mode B4 it cuts out & if I make certain 2B a tad anal about keeping the backlight low - more like 4-5hrs. My guess would be that when this battery was new, it could probably run the 598ciHD for 8-9hrs, depending.
Regardless, based on observation, I'm beginning 2believe that when something "Resets" in the Navionics+ Card as per updating Maps 2various regions 4the purpose of Trial & Error, that something is being reset in the 598ciHD as well, especially seeing that even now as I type this out that my unit reads Zero Hours Overall Usage Time.
Now there is a few other things I'd like 2try BUT until I can get her out on the water - I really cannot B sure & even then, that could cause a scenario that yields more questions than answers. Hopefully, the near future will shed some light on this picture although I find that doubtful w/o sending the unit out 4service & I really Do Not want 2do that 4a unit that initially came off the Humminbird production line in October, 2012 But will keep you all posted nonetheless if it seems 2help in any small way w/Ur own units.
Wish Me Luck - LoL ;)
Sandro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo