Author Topic: Helix 10 install - transducer location questions  (Read 5715 times)

Offline docmudge

• Unit(s): 958c, Helix 10 SI
  • Accessories: iPilot Link
Helix 10 install - transducer location questions
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
I've owned an 898 in the past on my previous boat, but I just recently purchased a Helix 10 SI for my Ranger 617DVS. I've emailed Humminbird and started the conversation with a customer service rep, but that person stopped responding after the first email. I have two things I need to get figured out before finalizing the install.

First is the transducer location. I've searched but haven't seen any for my boat, specifically. I've seen a lot of installs of the transducer on the jack plate for the bass boat guys, but the only one I've seen for Fishermen series has been a 621, with the transducer mounted right next to one of the livewell intakes on the lower step. I'm not sure how turbulent that is, but the setback from that spot to the prop is 32 inches (21 inches to the front of the lower unit). For all intents and purposes, I would think this would be OK, but I want to check with someone who has it mounted in such a manner, and any issues result.

Second is regarding the Y cable and the associated mounting of the 2D transducer. In the first attached image, the existing Lowrance transducer works perfectly fine at speed at its current mounting location. I have the transducer from my 958c, which is mounted up front and using the US2 on my Terrova, and no longer needs the transducer. I did a cursory test using the Y cable to see if it would recognize the 2D transducer and it works (tested over a dock into a pond). Is there any issue with mounting the external transducer in this manner? In almost every suggestion I've read, the thru-hull transducer was recommended for the install. Instead of buying a new transducer, I would prefer to run the spare one I already have.

Offline docmudge

Re: Helix 10 install - transducer location questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »
Here is the link to the 621 install location that I've seen before (about halfway down the page): https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/hbird_835745/

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
When using the AS SIDB Y cable for 2d, it is not necessary to have the Imaging xducer so far down on the transom ...This just lends to the possibility of damage from floating debris ...

Jackplate installations are fine as long as one considers the reflections from the jackplate place itself can cause in SI ... Some add extensions to lower the Imaging xducer under the jackplate - Some add a hole shot plate and center mount the Imaging xducer on the hole shot plate ...
-----

There is an adapter cable that will connect your Lowrance xducer to HB connection ...
http://motorguide.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/24767-39301/Motorguide-Sonar-Adapters.html

Or simply mount a HB XNT 9 20 where the Lowrance xducer is... as it seems from your comment this area of your hull may have good clean water flow for a skimmer installation ...

In hull shoot thru applications are desirable by some simply to keep from having 2 xducers on the transom with more holes in the transom ...

In actuality - a skimmer will outperform a shoot thru application because farther back means cleaner water ... Plus a skimmer is not shooting thru fiberglass which may degrade the sound pulse somewhat anyway ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:13:28 PM by rnvinc »

Offline docmudge

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:19:08 AM »
Awesome, thanks Rickie! The HB ducer I have is the XNT 9 20, now that I looked it up to verify.

As far as the HDSI transducer is concerned, the curve of the transom doesn't allow me to get a location to install that would be free in all directions. Where the speed wheels are located, there is a curve that would cause blockage of the signal.

Offline docmudge

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
Got a response from Humminbird. They recommended the red X as the install location.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
Awesome, thanks Rickie! The HB ducer I have is the XNT 9 20, now that I looked it up to verify.

As far as the HDSI transducer is concerned, the curve of the transom doesn't allow me to get a location to install that would be free in all directions. Where the speed wheels are located, there is a curve that would cause blockage of the signal.

Then a jackplate installation may be best for you ...

Look at Transducer Shield and Saver for good mounts and jackplate extensions ...

http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:59:38 PM by rnvinc »

Offline Dieago

• Unit(s): 999si
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
mine is exactly like yours. i removed boat from trailer cut off board runner bracket welded it 2'' inward shortened bunk board and mounted it down by the live well drain. works great. sometimes a man has to do what he has too. i also did one boat and stacked two 
trandsducer blocks to offset transducer back so trailer board would not hit it when loading up
“I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!”

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo