Author Topic: Tell me what you think this/these are? Please!  (Read 18986 times)

Offline Dieago

• Unit(s): 999si
Tell me what you think this/these are? Please!
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »
Im a novice beginner can someone tell me are these indeed fish? What Kind you think? 24 ft 48 surface temp 20 ft  two different places 300 yrds apart first is beside a long rock point second is by long riprap damn
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:03:30 PM by Dieago »
“I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!”

Offline Rotus623

• Unit(s): 898c hd si, 798 hd si
  • Software: 6.49
Re: Tell me what you think this/these are? Please!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
Nice shots!! Even looks good for some light chop. I think they are fish, but I did not realize that the DI came up as arches like the 2d sonar does. I have never seen this with my DI before. What did the 2d sonar look like?

Offline Dieago

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
Thats regular sonar changed to blue color scheme

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
thats a 2d shot and the fish seem to be holding to the drop pretty good.  did you get a chance to drop a line? 

agree about the chop, see your from TX so take your pick...crappie bass maybe cat at the bottom.  only way to tell is drop a hook  ;D  nice shot

I would think that school just off the drop could be crappie hugging the ledge.
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
you must have been typing as I was seeing where you was from and posting.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
Looks like 2d sonar to me!

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Dieago

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »
Im hoping they are crappie but where it was on that day wind trolling motor and rod in hand would have been multitasking to say the least. 15-20 mph

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:36:28 AM »
Just throwing it out there and you probably already know.  I've found crappie holding like that before this time f year and enjoy using a bottom bouncing rig.  Have your long pole tips about 4-4 1/4 ft from the water and bounce to the ledge.  When you feel it start to drop you still have enough slack from tip to water to get down to them, also any fish that may be right on the edge could lock on.  We call it two poling over this way and works great even in the wind.  Spider wire so you can feel that lite bite.

Hope to see your next 2D shot of that area with one of you holding a slab!

good luck

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:42:54 AM »
Ok, I am not much on judging fish sizes, but those arches on that one image are pretty big!  Sure I see lots of smaller fish in the other image, but the first ones look to be significantly larger.

::)

Robert 

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:06 AM »
RG

Here are some photo's from when I first started out with the unit and some later on, these are about the same depth range.  I must admit I only fish for crappie but what ever you fish for is good to go as long as your on the water.

The first one was more recant were we was casting out...counting down anywhere from 10-15 and slow rolling it back.  Are all those fish crappie, no due to hooking several stripe along with crappie.  The others are on some brush we have out and pulled crappie in those days as well.  I'm going off the location the fish are holding and what I see up here in TN.  No one can tell for sure what type of fish it is and that's why I asked if he dropped a hook to see.

Also in the second shot you can see bait fish or at least those cascading cloud.  I've seen this alot in the bait clouds over here I see.

In this shot I went over and dropped a marker off the shelf at 22 fow were we have brush.  To the right you can see much larger returns.  We took crappie from the brush but never moved over to hook the others so I dont know what they were.

Hope this helps, until you hook it who knows.

good luck on the water.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:09:51 AM »
Crappie are typically small correct?  Those arches are too big to be crappie, again I am not speaking from experience though.  The returns in the first image are definitely from larger fish especially since you can make out the larger air bladder in some of the returns! 

Robert
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:11:36 AM by RGecy »

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
That's why I like this site.  You learn alot from others.  tell me more on the air bladder and the return on sonar.  The only thing I have to go off of is what I see out on the water vs what I catch.  Always thought the return on crappie looked like what I posted as far as how they relate to structure during certain times of the year.  Never really know till ones hooked and in the boat though.

As far as how big the return is in relation to the screenshot, I thought would rely on how he had his screen set up..how much of the unneeded screen he took away. (I think I said that right lol)

Sorry if we hijacked your post Dieago, But I've read alot of RGecy's posts and topics.  You can really learn alot from him and others here.

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
If the 2nd pic is correct with the lat/lon and you are on Lake Graham/Eddleman, I would say those would be white bass/hybrids especially if you are near some rocky areas. Anything white or spoons should've netted you something easily.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
Here is some really good info that explains it in detail.

HOW WE SEE FISH:

Sound waves are reflected by physical discontinuities (places where the speed of sound suddenly changes). The flesh of a fish is mostly water, and the difference between the speed of sound in water and in the gas of a swim bladder is so great that much of the energy that strikes it is reflected back. The swim bladder enables a fish to remain at a chosen depth without having to swim constantly to keep from rising or falling. With depth finders, you do not “see” the fish at all, what you see is the swim bladder.

Like a bell or a column of air in an organ pipe, each gas-filled swim bladder has a natural frequency. When the impinging sound waves are at that same frequency, the swim bladder resonates and the reflection is several times stronger than other wise. The target “looks” much bigger than it actually is. To complicate matters further, the tone at which the swim bladders resonate is determined by water pressure, the size and shape of the swim bladder and the physical constraints within the fish itself. These factors change as the fish moves vertically through different pressures.

HOW THE SONAR SHOWS FISH:

This drawing illustrates the typical “Finger Nail Shape” (arc) produced on a straight-line graph by a single fish moving through the center or axis of the cone when the boat is standing still. The same effect would be created if the boat was moving and the fish was standing still. You will rarely see this perfect arc because the fish you encounter will most times be moving through the outer parts of the cone and not necessarily level and through the center.

The bigger the “Finger Nail Shape” the bigger the fish, right? No, not necessarily. The same size fish moving through the center of the cone close to the surface will be in the cone for a shorter period of time and will thus produce a shorter mark. If that same fish is close to the bottom, however, and passes through the center of the cone it will be inside the cone (or target area) longer and thus produce a much longer mark. What this means is that, generally speaking, a fish will appear smaller if he’s closer to the transducer and larger as the range increases. That’s just the opposite of the effect we get with human eyes viewing objects in daylight.

Variations in that perfect “Finger Nail Shape” can occur for many reasons. The fish is swimming upward or downward, the fish passes through the outer edges of the cone at an oblique angle, the boat is going faster or slower, the fish is so close to the bottom that he is partially in a “Dead Zone”.

You will find that a school of bait fish, for example, laying in a tightly bunched horizontal layer, will produce a large arc, but with edges that are somewhat less distinct than the mark from a single fish. You will see many variations of this “Finger Nail Shape”, but remember that it is the basic mark returned by fish.

One error common to all sounders, one which few fishermen ever think about or even know that it exists, is the fact that everything APPEARS to be directly under the boat, but it is not. Thefigure below shows the way it really is in our underwatercone of soundand the way we think it is, based on watching a flashing dial or a two dimensional graph. We always have assumed the fish were right underneath the boat. Not so. Think about it. Which way have you been thinking?

This diagram shows how all depth finders produce an error in their readings of fish lying between the boat and the bottom. This is because the unit acts to compress all the fish found within the cone into a single narrow line, which we assume to mean that the fish we mark are directly under the boat.

This diagram also shows what happens when two (or more) fish are found at the same Range (distance from the transducer) even though they are in different parts of the cone. They will all mark at the same range, and thus appear to be only a single fish.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:57:45 PM by RGecy »

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »
thx RG.  Do you see the bait balls in 2D show up as a cascade effect when your out?

Offline Dieago

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
That was very interesting where 2 3 or more fish at same range only show as a single fish!

Locdown it could be but most of them are over at the power plant discharge right now.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:19:25 PM by Dieago »

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
must of got tied up. 

Offline Dieago

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
Explain what you mean by cascade slab?

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 12:28:29 AM »

I thinking I have something set to high but what I dont know.  When I go over large schools of bait it looks like this.  At least I take it as bait due to the ball.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:05 AM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Your transducer may be angled down just a little.  The fish arches are not completely symmetrical, but nothing really major. The arches were perfect in some of your other images.  Any changes?

What frequency are you using and what is your sensitivity set at?

Robert
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:44:15 AM by RGecy »

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »
that was a older shot...major changes!  hit something out on the lake and luckily the mounting block popped out and not the ducer busting, they are made quit will to take a lick like that.

This was the remake.  A mounting block with a transducer spring bracket.  worked a little harder on getting it right this time I guess.

Offline Dieago

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
That dont look like a bait ball! It looks like a surface to air missile in route!

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
It took some time but looks like it caught up to me

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »
I'd like to know more about a 'transducer spring bracket'. Is this something new?
My transducer is in a vulnerable position.

Mike

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
The bottom part in the transducer bracket snaps into place while the top part is the actual pivot point. If you hit something hard enough the bottom part should pop out of place and kick up.

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
Transducer shield & saver , this should direct you to the site.  There good to go.

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:36 PM »
LocDown -- That is the way mine is mounted. I thought I saw another piece between the mounting block and the transducer assembly.
slabbacks-- I'm familiar with them and will check it out. Thanks.

Offline caskey_b

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 01:20:37 AM »
Looks pretty good to me.  Your transducer may be angled down just a little.  The fish arches are not completely symmetrical, but nothing really major. The arches were perfect in some of your other images.  Any changes?

What frequency are you using and what is your sensitivity set at?

Robert

FYI... fish don't always ARCH... they can be straight lines, diagnal lines, half arches, etc...

they only ARCH when the boat is moving and fish is sitting still, or when fish moves in straight line through sonar cone, when boat is sitting still..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal