Author Topic: using 2 hi def transducers?  (Read 4658 times)

Offline theoryofwi

• Unit(s): 898c hd si combo
  • Accessories: ipilot
using 2 hi def transducers?
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »
hello,
so i recently bought a boat that was already set up with a humminbird hi def side imaging transducer (xhs hdsi 180 t). so i have 2 of these now. my question is i have a 898c si combo and a terrova ipilot. can i use the Y connector and use both of them? or am i better off selling it and putting on a regular transducer (2d?). also im trying to figure out how to properly set up my boat with all the different accesorries that are offered. iv got a 19 ft. monark deep v. i troll lake michigan for samlon in 200 ft. of water as well as walleyes on lake winnibago with a max depth of 20 ft. and inland lakes for panfish. also, will the unit use 3 sonars if i hook up the built in transducer on the minn kota?

thank you.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: using 2 hi def transducers?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums theoryofwi.

Let us try and sort this all out for you:
There are two different “Y-cables” that can be used with the Side Imaging transducers.  One is for connecting a 2D transducer which is normally installed inside-the-hull of the boat for superior high-speed water depth readings (and so the Si transducer can be installed someplace more protected); this is the AS-Si-DB-Y.  The second Y-cable is the AS-Si-LR-Y which is used to combine two Si transducers when you cannot mount one Si transducer and get unblocked left and right Si sonar.

How are you planning on using the 898c Si unit: only at the console or also when at the bow?
Where are you planning on installing the HDSi transducer on your boat?
Will this HDSi transducer be used for both the Si/Di sonar and 2D sonar (especially at higher boat speeds)?
Is this an aluminum boat?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline theoryofwi

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
Thanks Greg, feel like I came to the right spot for help. So I will only be using the head unit at the console and I'm almost ever up front unless we are drifting. I mostly use it to steer my boat when trolling and use the kicker as thrust. The si transducer is already installed on the opposite side of the kicker and works fine. (Doesn't interfere with the motors). And yes it a aluminum boat.  Since I can see both left and right sides of sideimaging sell my extra transducer? Isn't there a deep depth transducer too?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
How is the 2D sonar on your already installed HDSi transducer theoryofwi, are you happy with it?

I would keep that HDSi transducer in case you ever need a replacement unless you need the money you could get from selling it for another rod/reel or other fishing tackle!

There is a deep water transducer but it is a 2D only transducer and is meant for extreme water depths (we are talking more than 1,000 feet deep here).  You would not be able to use it and the HDSi transducer at the same time.

Offline theoryofwi

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
I like the 2 d sonar however if I'm going more that 5-10 mph it's completely useless

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
If you want better 2D sonar at those faster boat speeds you may want to think about a possible second transducer (an XNT-9-20 or XNT-9-20-T) and the AS-Si-DB-Y cable.  The catch to this is that you would have to mount it in a location where it will not interfere with the Si sonar and will be in a location where air bubble-free water flows off the boat hull - something that is not always possible on all boats.

You may also be able to adjust the HDSi transducer you have installed now and get better 2D sonar results at faster boats speeds by lowering it and/or angling the back end of the transducer down a few degrees.  You may also be able to remount the HDSi transducer in a better location as well.

Offline theoryofwi

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »
what do ya think as far as placement goes? the transducer is on the right side. the kickers not on its down in the basement right now. how do you determine where it will be bubble free?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »
Rivets, chines, strakes, dimples in the aluminum, all can create bubbles coming off the hull...

Lowering the xducer into cleaner bubble free water is the thought here...but lowering the xducer also puts the xducer in a more succeptable position to be damaged from waterborne debris...

As Greg mentioned ...you may want to consider a cheaper XP 9 20 T for high speed 2d readings (along with the AS SIDB Y cable) ... and keep the more expensive HDSI xducer up higher on the transom for protection ...

I also agree with Greg about keeping the extra HDSI xducer for a spare...

Rickie
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:32:16 PM by rnvinc »

Offline theoryofwi

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
Ok cool thanks. And upon thinking about it I do some jigging. So I may get a smaller humminbird unit for the terrova for when I'm up front.  I could also probally take that same unit and out it in the back if the boat facing forward when we are trolling. That way you can see the lines and a 2d sonar reading :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo