Author Topic: Onix software 2.0 now available.  (Read 6808 times)

Offline Diel11

• Unit(s): 1198/998
Onix software 2.0 now available.
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:49:19 AM »
So far I am really pleased with the changes.  Couple of things:

1.  It's really important to read the attached .pdf file which includes instructions.  This is not the average 5-6 minute update.  It has 2 phases, the first one takes about 10-12 minutes, the second an additional 13-15 minutes.  You have to make sure you have fresh batteries or better yet, have them connected to the charger.

2.  They included new code that will help you restore accessory updates if they fail.  I had a problem with my I pilot Link (ended up bricked) and after installing the 2.0 update I was able to restore it no problem. 

3.  Touch screen hits and overall speed of the unit has been improved.  Pinch to zoom is much better and you can also pan around on the chart easier.

4.  RTS has been added to DI, so now you can have 2D and DI match up, especially if running one above the other.  I would always turn off the RTS on 2D because I didn't like the 2 screen not being synchronized, now they are good to go.

5.  They added a prompt to save a spot lock after you come off it.  So every time you drop a spotlock and go to move somewhere else, the Onix will ask you if you want to save it. 

6.  Boot up is a bit faster, but still over 1 minute and 20 secs. 

7.  Access to home and view screens by swiping is much better and faster. 

8.  The I pilot link 2.140 update is making my spot lock feature work "funny".  When you first drop the spot lock, my motor will ramp up to get there quick, then overshoot the mark, then reverse right back to where you just came from. Sometimes it will "head shake" the boat (going side to side) for a bit until settling it down.  Lucky for me the Humminbird engineer was with me when it was happening so I have a witness. 

We are going back out today to test the second unit, we are going to update it and then add it to the network.  Before, doing that would slow the complete system way down.  Will report back tonight.

Overall the update is working well so far, really happy with the results.  Sorry for the huge post!!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Onix software 2.0 now available.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
Don't be sorry for the huge post Diel11, it's a huge update to the ONIX units!
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Diel11

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »
I posted this on the BBC forum:

Ok so day two went very well!!  I updated the bow unit and we set out to get it all tested.  The network never slowed down and we tested dropping waypoints, etc.  No problems found.  One thing we noticed, if you have the unit set to beep on keystrokes, it will delay the button touches, almost like it's waiting for the beep.  So we turned those off and button function was very fast.

I gotta say I will be keeping the units for sure.  Compared side by side with the Simrad, the Onix's speed is right at the same level now.  That to me is a huge accomplishment as the unit was not close before.

About the I pilot spot lock.  I spoke with the engineer in charge of the spot lock for a bit today while on the water.  He had very good questions and comments about what we were seeing.  They are going to do some testing to see if they can duplicate what we saw on their boats.  Today we didn't have any wind at all and the unit was not going all over the place as bad as before.  We noticed that it would settle down around 1.5-2 minutes from the time we hit the key.  After it settles down, the spot lock behaves better than any other software version I have tested.  It's almost like it REALLY wants to get to the lock position, in a hurry!!

Was really impressed with the engineers, both from Humminbird and MinnKota, really appreciate all the help.  I think what I am liking the most is that they are proud of their equipment and want it to work for us. 

Offline johnbaker

• Unit(s): 998c
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
I have a new Onix and I think I am going to like it a lot.  Been on the lake for just a few minutes and it appears that the screen is going to be much easier to see in bright light than my 998c.

However, I am having trouble with the new software update.  My unit does not even acknowledge that the SD card is inserted.  Nothing happens when I insert.  The download to the card (a new one) seemed to have gone as it should have but nothing happens when it is inserted after opening the file tab.  Talked to service and they recommended that I reformat the card and download again, which I did.  They even sent very explicit instructions which I followed, but still the card is not acknowledged by the unit. 

I had previously inserted a lakemaster card and it was not acknowledged either.  What could I be doing wrong?
Donuthin

Offline Diel11

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
Sounds like you have a bad card slot.  Have you tried the second slot?  Is the card fairly new? 

Offline johnbaker

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
The card was new and yes, I tried it in both slots.  I am wondering if by some chance the connectivity with the slots  is a problem.
Donuthin

Offline johnbaker

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »
Instructions are not as clear as they could be especially for an old cooter that is somewhat computer challenged.  Apparently it is essential that the files be unzipped.  It says that in a link to a FAQ, but not explicitly with the download instructions.  They have another FAQ on how to unzip, but you have to find it from a list. 

At any rate, I have unzipped and it still doesn't recognize the care or even acknowledge it.  Guess I need to send it back to factor which is kinda frustrating for a brand new unit that cost $3,000+.  Customer Service is closed on Fri afternoon, so I can't get any instructions until Mon. 
Donuthin

Offline skigill

• Unit(s): 1197c NVB, 798c
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »
I had to unzip twice. The second time gives you several files, copy and paste all to the SD

Offline johnbaker

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:06:20 PM »
I unzipped all the files individually and it appears that they unzipped as they are a lot larger than orginally.  Kinda at my wits end.  Don't know what to try next. 
Donuthin

Offline navionic

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 03:32:58 AM »
http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedFiles/Content/Category/Support/FAQ/SoftwareVersion2.000Instructions.pdf
Guys, patience and attention. Unzipped files to copy to SD.
Start update from the menu Onix.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:42:40 AM by navionic »

Offline johnbaker

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 01:34:09 PM »
That set of instructions are important for sure but they only show up as a suggested FAQ in the download instructions.   I have done everything just as it is suggested.  You will also find another FAQ on how to unzip files.
Donuthin

Offline johnbaker

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
Poor guys at Humminbird customer service finally gave up on me and sent me a loaded card.  It worked fine which makes me feel a little chagrined as I was not as patient with them as I should have been.  They were very helpful.   
Donuthin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo