Author Topic: Erratic depth readings  (Read 4970 times)

Offline mtvlandman

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI combo
  • Software: latest
Erratic depth readings
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
I have a 898 HD SI combo that is about 2 years old. The depth readings are erratic.  At times it will work fine ( usually not more than for 10 – 15 minutes), while often it is erratic, working correctly for a short period, then going nuts for a few minutes at a time. This is regardless of speed and regardless of other electronics being on such as trolling motor, power pole, etc.   Examlple:  While in 5 – 10' of water, it can read anything from 1.6' to 130', jumping all over the place.  Typically it will end up getting locked in at 1.6'.  Many times the only way to get it off 1.6' is to reboot.  Any time I reboot the unit, it begins working correctly again for a few minutes.  Actually, it always starts out working correctly regardless of boat speed.

This problem has not improved although I have changed boats. It is now on a 22' Blue Wave Pure Bay, originally on a Sea Hunt.  It was professionally installed by well regarded boat dealers both times (different dealers), and I have had the transducer adjusted by them several times as well, trying to solve this problem.   I have tried to be sure the cable is not adjacent to other cables.   My dealers are not convenient, thus one reason for still having this problem for so long, and I have lost confidence that they can fix this problem.   I originally thought it  was due to the mounting/location of the transducer, but after several adjustments, and two different boats, I question if that has been the problem.  I would really appreciate some advice on this as I am very frustrated.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Erratic depth readings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »
This is what I would do:
1) Check for loose connections at the battery and unit.
2) Check your battery:
If the battery is going bad, the voltage to the unit may be fluctuating.
It doesn't matter how old the battery is or if you KNOW it's good.
Fully charge it, and have it load tested.  Autozone/Advance Auto will do this for free.
3)Update your unit with the latest software.  It's possible that the memory/operating
system could have gotten corrupted.

Also, be aware that each boat is probably unique, when it comes to interference.
If the unit is now on a different boat, I would start diagnosing from there, and not compare
to the past performance of the unit on the original boat.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:31:54 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline mtvlandman

• Unit(s): 898 HD SI combo
  • Software: latest
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:52 PM »
Thanks for the response.  The battery was load tested within the last month and they said it was good, also, the 898 unit shows the battery strength, and it does not appear to fluctuate; just over 12 volts when turned off, and over 14 when running ( the Suzuki motor re-charges the battery when running, similar to what an alternator will do).   I have updated to the most recent software UPDATE offered by humminbird.   No other features appear to be giving me problems, just the depth reading. I have checked all connections...... could a connection problem only have an effect on the depth reading?  The reason I mentioned the first boat is because the exact same issue was occurring on both the first and second boat.    Since the problem appears to be only with the depth reading... does that narrow down where the problem may be? 

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:09:35 PM »
The transducer cable has separate pins for the various crystals inside the transducer. Since the cables are the same you may want to start with that area before you mess with the electrical stuff. Could be the connector on the unit that the transducer plugs into. Good luck Bob

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
Does your setup have a "Shoot thru" Dual Beam xducer epoxied in the bilge connected to the unit with the AS SIDB Y cable ...??

Or is the transom mounted HDSI the only xducer in the setup ... ??

Rickie

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
I think the problem could be the alternator in your Suzuki motor causing interference.
With your big motor off, drift around at known depth places, and see if the depths are
stable and correct.
If you only see unstable depth readings with the big motor on, just get yourself a small battery and ONLY have your sonar hooked to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo