Author Topic: 1197 2D issues w/ xp-9-20-T  (Read 3756 times)

Offline EJP1234

• Unit(s): 1197 & 858
1197 2D issues w/ xp-9-20-T
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
You probably don't remember but about 2-3 weeks ago I posted after the latest update that I was having issues with both my SI and 2D images. I uninstalled the software update and the SI came back perfectly. I am still having issues with the 2D and have isolated it to the transducer.

I just came back in from trying to knock the 2D transducer loose so I could re-epoxy it based on Greg's recommendation on possibly having an air bubble.... I bought a new tube of 5 minute quick set epoxy. Here's the issue though, it's in a bassboat hull, and the plumbing for the livewells and all of the other power wires are all around it, and I just cannot get the leverage on it that I need with the hammer due to the angle and the other items in the way. I even got out several different type of beater bars to pin against it to hit with the hammer and still no go, not the right angle.

I do have the Hummingbird select, and the unit is still less that a year old. Everytime I have called HB CS I get flack from the obvious cheaply hire help that read from an instruction manual. I would like a new Ducer without paying for one as I do not think it's my fault... it worked perfect for 9mo's and now doesn't.. Do you think they will help me since I cannot seem to get the other one out without causing to much damage to my other things? If I have to purchase one, I am thinking of spending a few more dollars and getting the quad beam but now I have a hole in my transom from the temp probe and it appears the QB reads independently from the hull temp? uugghh.... this thing has been a PIA for the last two months for sure..

Offline EJP1234

• Unit(s): 1197 & 858
Re: 1197 2D issues w/ xp-9-20-T
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:18:22 PM »
Also the symptoms are as follows: It only will work in Max mode, but the picture looks like clear mode... clear mode barely anything comes up on the screen..

When I am in shallow water it will show depths up to 1500' and then bounce all over the place, and then it will jump back down.. Sometimes the graph clearly shows the bottom being 5' but the digital readout say 12'..

I also used to be able to hold the bottom to about 65mph. Now it looses bottom at about 50mph or so. I don't expect the clearest highest quality picture running full speed, but for $4k I though it would hold bottom.

The transducer is literally at the bottom of the bilge about 4" directly infront of the bilge plug. Its never moved once.

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »
EJP; Put the hammer, crow bar, C-4, TNT away if the xducer was working before the update it's not the xducer.
5 mim epxoy can trap air bubbles, there is a Transducer Setting Compound made just for this.

You can try to reset the unit and installing the last update that worked and water test the unit. If all is well fine. Then down load the latest update to a new unused card and try the unit upload and water test.

post how everthing works out.  Good Luck and Enjoy  Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
the plumbing for the livewells and all of the other power wires are all around it

Could it be that you have installed/moved wires around and are now getting some
type of electrical interference that wasn't there previously?
Have you put in a new engine or changed/added other electrical devices to the boat?
Have you rewired anything?
Have you had a big shifting of weight in your boat (front to back or side to side)?

it worked perfect for 9mo's and now doesn't..
If you installed it with an air bubble in it, I can't figure out
why it would work perfectly for 9 months.  It would have NEVER
worked perfectly.

Everytime I have called HB CS I get flack from the obvious cheaply hire help that read from an instruction manual.
I'm sorry but this seemed funny to me.  If a person doesn't have first hand knowledge of
your unit, they would have to refer to some kind of written document to try and
help you.  I wouldn't be too hard on those customer service folks.  They are genuinly
trying to help you.

The tranducer itself may have just gone bad.  These things do happen.
I don't know if your unit is still under warrantly or not, but the problem is
you'll have to beat the h@ll out of the thing just to get it out.
If it wasn't already bad, I'd bet it would be bad after the beating.
Usually a hammer and electrical components don't go too well together. :)

If I was you, I'd try to eliminate any obvious problems first, with interference being at the
very top of the list.
If it were me and nothing else worked, I'd bite the bullet and purchase a new
transducer.  Get some instructions and the right adhesive materials and read everything 5 times,
then install it once very correctly.  I would take my time with the installation and do it right.

P.S. Before gluing it permanently to the floor of your boat, test it to make sure it works first.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:49:20 PM by ITGEEK »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo